aortic valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanka

Hi, I'm Blanka and I'm new to the Forum.
I have had severe aortic stenosis for the last 5 yrs. without symptoms. Have been seeing a non-invasive cardiac doctor twice a year during that time, and have had an echo each year. The Doctor's reports of my visits state "no change in cardiac status". I hadn't been studying the echos, but I finally did so and compared the last 5 echos I find that the aortic valve area decreased from .5 cm squared to .44, which is considered critical in the articles I've read.
I'm 84 yrs old, physically active all my adult life, hiking, skiing, biking. If I continue with my activities, even moderately, I will damage my heart. So I
decided I need to see a cardiac surgeon. I did a lot of research on the internet and decided on Dr Lawrence Cohen at BWH in Boston. I have an appt. with him this Fri. 7/10 at 12 PM.
Does anyone know anything abt. Dr. Cohen? and whatever his prognosis will be, should I get a second opinion?
Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You've got one of the BEST possible surgeons. Your free to get a second opinion, but really, there isn't much point in looking further then what you have.

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you have many many questions and we'll do our best to answer them all for you. ;)

Dear Blanca,
When I was in hospital last december having my Aortic valve replaced there was a chap sharing my room who was 88 yrs young, a lovely man. Anyway he had his Aortic valve replaced via a sort of stent that was passed up through an artery and released in the Aortic position without the need for OHS. I believe they're now using this technique quite often on more mature patients?
Good luck.

Good for You!

You have selected a Well Known Valve Surgeon and Hospital. BWH is one of the Top Ten rated Heart Hospitals if I remember correctly.

Shame on your Cardiologist. He should have sent you for a Surgical Consult Long Ago! The usual 'trigger' for a surgical recommendation is 0.8 sq cm.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Blanca,
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Cohn. You will be in the best of hands. I had some issues that made me a problem for an AVR here at home in May of 2008 and we travelled to Boston to have Dr. Cohn, after doing lots of research. He's a bit short on bedside manner, but cares deeply and has incredible experience and skill. Good luck to you! The building they are now in is brand new, so that should make your experience even better :). The food was even good :D.

Welcome to our wonderful family and I wish you the best. If you have any questions at all, just ask, someone will be there with an answer. Hugs & prayers coming your way.

Just wanted to welcome you to our community of OHS survivors Blanka & to wish you nothing but the best with your future surgery. From the sounds of it you appear to be much, much younger than your 84 years of age both mentally & physically & I have no doubt that you will fare just fine! :)

Please feel free to ask whatever questions you might have & we will do our best to answer them for you & help put you at ease during your wait.

Take care!

Dear Blanca,
When I was in hospital last december having my Aortic valve replaced there was a chap sharing my room who was 88 yrs young, a lovely man. Anyway he had his Aortic valve replaced via a sort of stent that was passed up through an artery and released in the Aortic position without the need for OHS. I believe they're now using this technique quite often on more mature patients?
Good luck.

Percutaneous valve replacement is still in clinical trials in the US, altho it might be worth seeing if you are a candidate for the trial if this is something you would like to look into

Avr

Avr

Dear Everybody,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your feedback, and good wishes.
and I'm so glad that I chose the right surgeon and hospital. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will keep you posted.
Blanka

Welcome to vr.com. Happy you found us.
I, too, am from the Boston area and had both of my OHS at Mass General. We are so blessed to have two of the country's best heart centers so close to home.

Brigham and Mass General are consistently listed among the top five in the country.
Best wishes to you. Please update us after your appointment with Dr. Cohn.

Blanka, welcome to the unofficial reference library of heart surgery. We're all here to support you and answer questions and to help make this as easy on your mind as we possibly can. One good thing is that people are on this forum from all over the world so when a question or concern raises its head in the middle of the night, it doesn't take long for someone to answer. We're behind you, young lady, with all our hearts!

Midge

Latest posts

Back