Aortic Root Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Just completed my operation successfully on 27 Sept 2013 - Valve Sparing used my own valve and fitted into Dacron with a new dia of 30 mm roots after 52 mm dilated roots.

Spent total of 7 days in hospital, now at home For recovery.

Congratulations! Be sure to walk regularly and enjoy the extra time to rest. Your recovery will be over before you know it.

Hi there! Really glad to hear of your successful surgery! Hope you are feeling better each day!! I have a similar situation and will learn more after my next late Oct CT. I have a St Judes mechanical installed in Feb 1999 due to a congenital bicuspid aortic valve. I now find that while the valve is fine, I have an aortic root dilation at 4.9 in April. My cardio suggested changing my valve to tissue whenever I must have the root operation.... whether sooner or "watch and wait" from Oct 29. Have taken warfarin for years with no known issues... Generally within range. I am now 66years old (ulp), petite with low BMI so little things have a major effect perhaps not noticed by a larger person. Thus a second surgery makes me nervous both in terms of waiting too long to fix it and the thought of a tissue valve needing replacement in another 10-15 years. Any thoughts out there? Pellicle? You usually have very good comments. Pharaoh... any info regarding the overall root repair process? Thanks! Peace and blessings! :cool:

So far only that I am getting less young and reduces bleeding issues, etc, with anything else that I may need done. Will find out more at 11/7 appt with both cardio and surgeon. Not sure I want to change it if it is still good to go which I was told it was fine.....oi!

Dr's often seem to be partial to either tissue or mechanical valves. The aortic valve is suspended within the aortic root, so it's proximity to the root may involve it in the operation even if it does not need to be changed. Still, it is ultimately up to you what valve you end up with, tissue or mechanical. I suggest you discuss with your Dr whether it is easier to spare your existing valve or to replace it. If it is easier to replace it then it could just as easily be replaced with another mechanical valve.

Hi sunshine Susan,

Sorry for late reply as I had some complications and went back to hospital, now I'm OK and back home with better feelings.
For valve root repair I had to go through the whole operation same as valve replacement which actually a longer a little bit due to taking out my own valve and fixing it in a Dacron roots and then fixing it back into my Aorta.
In your case they have to replace the whole valve as you already has a Mechanical one during fixing the roots. If you had a good experience with the mechanical valve why they don't use mechanical one again?
I heard from my surgeon that tissue valve these days are treated to last longer which means could last more years.

Latest posts

Back