Aortic regurg and red blood cells

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

I have aortic regurgitation due a bicuspid aortic valve. Since approximately 20 years ago, my bloodwork demonstrates a high bilirubin, both types - direct and indirect. As of 3 years ago, my globulin levels are always just below normal but outside of normal and the albumin/globulin ratio is high above normal range.

I take heart meds and also understand that red blood cells are destroyed with the turbulent flow around the aortic valve. My MDs seem at a loss at explaining this.

My question(s) is:
Anyone else had this?? Did they ever establish cause? Is it related to the regurgitation, the meds, or entirely independent?

Thanks for any response.

Rick

Thanks Clay. I will specifically ask about this in my MD appointment and see what he says.
Best regards,
Rick

.......... understand that red blood cells are destroyed with the turbulent flow around the aortic valve. I never heard of this! My personal understanding is that in very rare cases after the replacement of the diseased valve with a prosthetic valves, very rarely a patient may suffer from hemolytic anemia (to which some refer to as blood cells destruction)! My MDs seem at a loss at explaining this.

My question(s) is:
Anyone else had this?? Did they ever establish cause? Is it related to the regurgitation? I don't think so! I had aortic regurgitation for about 27 years before I had my surgery, during which I regularly had complete blood. None of those results demonstrated any abnormal levels of any kind!

Thanks for any response.

Rick

Rick,

See my responses above in blue.

I hope you get better answers from other members for your peace of mind!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
If it is related, I'll bet that it is a rare one. My bilirubin counts are routinely just above the range, and my doc's aren't worried about it - as long as it is stable. It could be that I'm just not like everyone else, or it could be (doc's best guess) that I have some latent gallbladder issues that aren't giving me any trouble now. Either way, as long as mine is stable, we just say "Yup. It is up there still.
""

Back