Aortic graft longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrappy

I stumbled across this site when I was in the hospital. I like reading posts from others that have been through similiar situations. It is very helpful. My question is this. How long and how durable is the aortic graft? I recently, May 25, had my aortic valve replaced with a St Judes and I also had an aneurysm and had to have my root and arch replaced. I am 37 and am wondering what I can expect for an outcome. There is a lot of information out there and some of it does not seem promising. Any help in this area would be appreciated. Thanks

Good Questions to ask your Surgeon and tne Manufacturer of your Graft.

I don't recall reading any posts that address the Question of Durability of Aortic Grafts.

'AL Capshaw'

I stumbled across this site when I was in the hospital. I like reading posts from others that have been through similiar situations. It is very helpful. My question is this. How long and how durable is the aortic graft? I recently, May 25, had my aortic valve replaced with a St Judes and I also had an aneurysm and had to have my root and arch replaced. I am 37 and am wondering what I can expect for an outcome. There is a lot of information out there and some of it does not seem promising. Any help in this area would be appreciated. Thanks
Probably Dacron? I have a 31 year old dacron graft (this month!) but on the descending aorta, not ascending. When I had my valve replaced seven years ago, the doctors were surprised and pleased that everything was still in good shape with it. I don't know what they were expecting, but my experience with the graft in that location has been what I'd call successful :)

Best wishes :)

Good question! I had AVR/aneurysm repair in '99 at the age of 42. My surgeon said my mechanical valve would outlast me but I didn't think to ask about the graft. However, no problems so far.

Graft Longevity

Graft Longevity

As others have noted, my surgeon and cardiologist told me my dacron graft should be working just fine when the rest of me quits. This said, there always seem to be exceptions and with valve replacements as well as aortic grafts there are never any guarantees.

-Philip

You know, Nylon and Dacron are almost indestructible. It is said that long, long after we are gone to dust our Nylon and Dacron polyester garments will remain in near new condition as relics of our presence on Earth. The Dacron vessel grafts are covered over quickly by epithelial tissue and probably don't change measureably in terms of tensile strength in any conceivable lifetime. So, when your casket is opened a hundreds of years after your death, the graft will probably be sitting there picked clean and looking like it could be reused.

Thank you DuPont!

An earlier thread with similar comments...
http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?16500-Aneurysms-Dacron-durability

I was told by Doctor McCarthy that the graft would far outlive me. He said it's virtually indestructible. I've even put mine through a staph infection and it didn't set up shop in it.

hey,
not an aortic root, but I've had a dacron patch in my ventricular septum since 1988 (22 yrs) for a moderate sized VSD and its been good all along, just found I have (probably) a tiny patch leak, but its more likely due to the sewing/around the edges than the dacron its self....if its even a patch leak, but thats another story

I asked my surgeon as they did a graft on me when I had the On-X put in a few months ago.
I was worried that I had chosen a valve that will hopefully outlast me and still need surgery for the graft.
My surgeon told me the graft was more durable than the valve and barring unforeseen complications, they would both outlast me.

That's all very encouraging. I'm in line for a graft on my ascending aorta and I must confess that durability of the graft hadn't occurred to me. That's probably due to the fact that I have a mech valve already and I was told that it would outlast me by a few hundred years at least.

This website is so useful and you are all so helpful. I've found this forum and it's members to be the biggest comfort over the last few weeks and I thank you all.

I was told by Doctor McCarthy that the graft would far outlive me. He said it's virtually indestructible. I've even put mine through a staph infection and it didn't set up shop in it.
Ross,
How did you find out about the infection and how long were you on antibiotics for? I guess the risk of infection truly worries me. From what i have read it seems pretty easy for these to get infected. Thanks, Jason

Back