Aortic aneurysms & dissections:guidance for primary care clinicians

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbwil

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
You have to be able to sign in to Medscape to read this so I am copying and pasting this article. These are the guidelines our caregivers are being taught. I hope it will be of help to someone here.

Thoracoaortic Aneurysms and Dissections: Guidance for the Primary Care Clinician CE
Marilyn W. Edmunds, PhD, NP
Disclosures

Thoracoaortic Aneurysms and Dissections
Aortic aneurysms are regarded ominously by clinicians. New technologies and new materials are now used successfully in endovascular repair and have given new hope to patients with these problems. Erin L. Davis, CRNP, from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Aortic Surgery Program, discussed some of the current surgical procedures they are offering. This is an aortic referral center, and they see over 300 cases a year with aortic disease.[1]

As with many problems, if the clinician doesn't understand the anatomy of the problem, the proper diagnosis cannot be made. As primary care providers often make the initial findings of aneurysm, it is essential that they are precise about the location of the aneurysm in making a surgical referral. Problems of the aorta are classified into the 4 structural parts of the aorta:

Aortic root -- the first 2-3 inches of the aorta above the aortic valve; anterior mediastinum; right and left coronary arteries emerge from the aortic root

Aortic arch -- large branch vessels originate here (innominate, left common carotid, and left subclavian arteries)

Descending aorta -- begins distal to the left subclavian artery extending to the diaphragmatic; posterior mediastinum

Abdominal aorta -- diaphragmatic hiatus to distal bifurcation.[2]
The 2 major problems in the aorta result from either aneurysms or dissections -- 2 very different processes. Aortic aneurysms are present when there is a place in the aorta where the aortic diameter is greater than 5.0 cm or twice the expected normal diameter. (The normal thoracic aortic diameter is 2.5 to 3.7 cm). The aneurysms are classified as either saccular or fusiform and further classified by location and extent of aortic involvement (root, arch, descending, or thoracoabdominal). A saccular aneurysm involves an outpouching of the circumference of the aortic wall. The fusiform aneurysm involves dilation of the whole blood vessel wall for the localized extent of the dilation. These conditions often result from connective tissue disease, inflammatory disease, hypertension, bicuspid aortic valve syndrome, smoking, atherosclerosis, or infectious disease.

Aortic dissection is defined as an intimal tear that allows blood to enter the media, which causes a split (dissection), creating a new channel called the false lumen. This tear can result in malperfusion and loss of aortic valve support. Aortic dissections are classified based on anatomic location. In addition, a Type A aortic dissection is an acute or chronic intimal tear in the aorta that originates in the ascending aorta and can extend into the descending aorta. Patients say that they feel a tear and experience very severe chest pain. They may have associated myocardial ischemia, infarction, or tamponade. Initial dissection may extend even lower.

In contrast, a Type B aortic dissection is an acute or chronic intimal tear in the aorta that originates in the descending aorta and can extend into the iliac arteries. These individuals may present with back or chest pain, abdominal pain (less common), and peripheral ischemia. If uncomplicated, patients may be treated with medical management. In an uncomplicated Type B dissection, the mortality is lower with medical management than with surgical intervention.[3]

Thoracic aortic aneurysms were linked to a 60% to 75% mortality rate 25 years ago. More than 50% of patients died from aortic rupture. Thoracoaortic surgery programs throughout the nation have improved these numbers. Research has now suggested that the risk of rupture may be calculated and the candidates for surgery more clearly determined based on the size of the aneurysm. The current findings[4-6] suggest that:

Median size at rupture for ascending aortic aneurysm was 6.0 cm;

Median size at rupture for a thoracic aortic arch aneurysm (TAAA) was 7.2 cm;

If one waits for the aneurysm to reach 6.0 or 7.0 cm, nearly half of patients will be lost; and

Sizes of 5.5 cm (ascending) or 6.5 cm TAAA mandates surgery.
An aortic aneurysm may rupture without dissection. When dissection takes place, it is classified into 2 types: Stanford Type A is a surgical emergency. Type A aortic dissection carries a surgical mortality of approximately 25%. The mortality of medical management of Type A dissection reaches nearly 60%.[7] Causes of death include heart failure from acute aortic insufficiency, aortic rupture, malperfusion of arch vessels leading to stroke, and nonperfusion of coronary arteries leading to myocardial infarction. Stanford Type B that is uncomplicated has a 30-day mortality rate of 3%. Complicated dissection carries a 20% mortality in the first 2 days following presentation. Thus, the treatment strategy to either do surgery or monitor patients who present with aortic disease is determined by the risk:benefit analysis for that particular problem.[5,7]

The risk of either rupture or dissection is increased in the presence of certain risk factors: Marfan/annuloaortic ectasia, dissected aorta (residual Type B dissection), rate of growth of aneurysm, presence of mural thrombus, smoking, and uncontrolled hypertension.

Many aortic aneurysms are diagnosed incidental to other conditions. However, once it is detected, its presence requires a careful evaluation. History should include past medical history, past surgical history, history of trauma, and family history. Chest or back pain in the left scapular area, shortness of breath, fatigue, and symptoms of dysphagia or hoarseness are important to note in the review of systems. A complete physical examination may reveal a pulsatile abdominal mass, aortic stenosis or aortic insufficiency murmurs, or even signs of a cerebrovascular accident (CVA). A computed tomography (CT) scan of the chest or chest/abdomen with contrast is the "gold standard" radiographic examination. Magnetic resonance angiography may be used in patients who cannot have contrast CT scan. Echocardiography (ECHO) may be helpful in evaluating the root or the specific site of ascending aneurysms.

Surgical repair of an aortic aneurysm involves resection of the aneurysmal portion of the aorta and replacing that portion with Dacron tube graft. When the aortic root is involved and the valve must be replaced as well, there are additional conduits available to the surgeon. Patients may chose between mechanical or biological prostheses, just as they can with a straightforward valve replacement. These conduits include pig root, pericardial composite (bovine pericardial valve attached to Dacron graft by the surgeon), and mechanical composite graft (mechanical valve attached to Dacron tube graft). Patients who require valve replacement must choose the valve conduit prior to surgery. The mechanical prosthesis requires warfarin and should, in theory, last the patient a lifetime. Biological prostheses spare the need for lifelong anticoagulation but will require replacement in 15-25 years. Less commonly used is homografting, the transplantation of an organ or tissue from one individual to another.[7]

Surgical Procedures for Aneurysms
The different anatomic location of aneurysms dictates different surgical procedures.[2]

Aortic Root and Ascending Aortic Aneurysms
These may involve the root, ascending, and proximal arch.

Aortic valve involvement may be present.

Consider bicuspid aortic valve.

Patients require aggressive blood pressure control (goal systolic blood pressure [SBP] less than 130 mm Hg).

Patients should be restricted from lifting things weighing more than 30-50 lb.

Aortic surveillance with serial imaging is required: CT scan with contrast of chest or chest/abdomen or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) if patient's clinical history dictates every 6 months. They may also require an ECHO. If the aneurysm increases by 0.5 cm per year, they probably will need surgery.

Surgical intervention is dictated by the anatomic location of the aneurysm or the extent of dilatation, the absolute diameter, the growth rate of the diameter, aortic valve function, left ventricular (LV) diameters and LV function in aortic valve disease, and a calculated risk:benefit ratio to determine which is higher, the risk of rupture/dissection or the natural history.

Surgical triggers would be a 4.5-cm maximal diameter with Marfan syndrome or positive family history of rupture/dissection; 5.0-cm maximal diameter with moderate or worse arteriovenous disease; 5.5-cm maximal diameter regardless of other conditions; acute or chronic dissection (more than 2 weeks); positive growth rate of 0.5 cm/year.
Aortic Arch Aneurysms
These generally present as saccular aneurysms.

It is more difficult to predict rupture patterns with this presentation.

Given the surgical risk, providers may allow the patient to reach a larger diameter prior to intervention.

The medical management for these individuals includes:

Assessing for neurologic status;

Assessing for hoarseness and dysphagia;

Blood pressure control;

Lifting restrictions; and

Serial imaging.

Candidates selected for surgery undergo an open procedure.

Standard surgery would include a sternotomy with 4-branch graft and complex perfusion strategies for neurocerebral protection.

A hybrid procedure, which is not yet approved, is growing in popularity as an alternative. This requires sternotomy with bypass from ascending aorta to arch vessels and endovascular exclusion of aortic arch.

Surgical complications include neurologic changes, CVA, paralyzed vocal cord, and dysphagia.
Descending Aorta or Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysms
These aneurysms require aggressive blood pressure control to keep SBP below 130 mm Hg, lifting restrictions, and aortic surveillance with serial imaging (CT scan with contrast of chest or chest/abdomen or MRI if patient's clinical history dictates), and ECHO

Evaluation would require pulmonary function tests, pulse volume recordings, carotid ultrasound, ECHO, and a cardiac stress test.

Surgical intervention would be dictated by anatomic location of aneurysm or dilation, absolute diameter, growth rate, aortic valve function, LV diameters and LV function in aortic valve disease, and based on risk/benefit ratio.

Indications for surgery for descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aneurysms include the presence of Marfan syndrome with more than 5.5-cm aneurysm; any aneurysm more than 6.5 cm; increase in growth rate when aneurysm is more than 6.0 cm; and rupture or false aneurysm.

The surgical intervention has been an open repair with a left thoracectomy or thoracoabdominal incision in which the aneurysm is replaced by Dacron tube graft, use of cardiopulmonary bypass , with a lengthy (and painful) recovery.

A relatively new surgical intervention involves endovascular repair with a stent graft repair via femoral artery or retroperitoneal incision. This procedure may be used in descending thoracic aneurysms but is not indicated in TAAA. It requires having an appropriate "landing zone" -- enough space to be able to install the graft. This allows the graft to seal with radial force. This procedure is approved in aortic aneurysm; in aortic dissection, it is off label but is beginning to be seen.

There is a potential for some serious complications for descending/TAAA repair as the aorta contributes to spinal cord perfusion through intercostal arteries. Thus, paralysis (transient or permanent) may be seen. Stroke, dysphagia, vocal cord paralysis, and pulmonary failure are other potential problems.

In the postoperative patient, clinicians must worry about low blood pressure, not high blood pressure. Blood pressure must be high enough to provide good spinal cord perfusion. Serial neurologic monitoring should track the patient's ability to lift their legs.
Aneurysms are a good example of a condition that warrants excellent communication between primary care provider and specialty surgeon. When patients with aneurysms or dissections are being monitored in the community, the primary care clinician must understand the changes in patient condition that would prompt re-evaluation and surgery. The patient must also understand that while they may be cared for in the community for many of their health problems, they should probably be a patient of the thoracic aortic surgery staff for the rest of their lives. Both groups should work together and communicate clearly to each other and their patients.

Some of what this article says is in conflict with other published sources--the definition of aneurysm, for instance. I do often wonder where my cardiologist gets his information, so it's interesting to see something like this. It does make me wonder how many of us are being treated by nurse practitioners. Personally, I've never come across one

Re. Thoracic Aortic Disease Information

Re. Thoracic Aortic Disease Information

I have concerns about this information.

In the beginining it mentions the importance of the anatomy of the aorta and precisely defining the location of an aneurysm, but then fails to properly define it. It lists the aortic root, arch, and descending aorta, but completely leaves out the ascending aorta. It is important to properly use these terms so that when "root remodeling" is discussed, it is understood what that means.

I was very frustrated when my husband's aneurysm was first found, and I could not get a clear definition of where it was!

As PJ has pointed out, the definition of aneurysm given here does not agree with established references and again only leads to confusion. There is an official body for vascular and cardiovascular surgery that has defined an aneurysm as at least a 50% (or 1.5 times) increase in diameter compared to its normal size - not the two times mentioned here. There is a less formal, general thought that at 4 cm, the aorta is aneurysmal.

Thoracic aortic disease is a complex topic. I would suggest seeking other sources of information about it.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

ANEURYSMS and ELECTIVE SURGERY

ANEURYSMS and ELECTIVE SURGERY

Thanks for this info. Does anyone have a history or example of a petite woman (I am 4 ft 11 inches and 95 lbs) with a 4.3 ascending aneurysm via TEE and CT scan who chose to just have it fixed just to get on with her life.. Am I crazy for thinking this way???? I've been thru AVR 19 years ago and live fine on coumadin with my ST JUDE ticker. I miss my tennis and snorkel and skiing.

Scrappy if I were the surgeon, I'd fix you now. Mine never made it to the magic 5.0 before it ruptured. I do not like the numbers I'm seeing in this article either. Many times, people have been thought to have lets say, a 4.9 and when opened, it's found to be much larger, more like 5.4. I approve of being cautious, but in cases like this, the risk of surgery vs rupture shouldn't be taken lightly.

Scrappy,
Obviously, I am biased toward the conservative treatment of aneurysms. The docs completely dismissed my son's symptoms. I have no idea what his aneurysm was before it dissected, but it darn near killed him when it did. He faces a lifetime of problems related to this - and he is only 16. Find a doc that will listen to you.

Hi,

I agree with Ross.

I never knew I had an issue. My ascending aorta dissected. In fact, it tore from the arch all the way down into my left leg, and stopped just before the knee. They gave me a 3 to 6% chance of surviving the emergency surgery.

Today, almost 7 years later, I feel very fortunate to have very good health. I do not even feel as though I had this issue. Except for the fact that I now have a mechanical heart valve and have to take the meds, Coumadin, Atenolol, Aspirin and digitek.

Aneuryms and dissections are well known as the silent killers because most of the time the doctors only stumble onto them by accident.

I have posted the following before.. but thought I would share again.

How are AORTIC ANEURYSMS and DISSECTIONS detected?

Patients sometimes detect an aneurysm by feeling a pulsating mass in the abdomen, or it may be found by their physician during a routine physical examination. The best way to detect unsuspected aortic aneurysms is by an ultrasound or CAT scan of the abdomen. Ultrasound is quick, inexpensive, non-invasive, and accurate; if the aorta can be seen, the presence of an aneurysm can be identified or excluded. CAT scans of the abdomen remain the most accurate tests for aortic aneurysm, both for initial detection and for determining aneurysm size. They provide information equal to MRI scans.

Wishing you all good health,
Rob

Thanks for the information. I just got a copy of my CT scan report which describes the pseudoaneurysm on the right of the ascending aorta measuring 0.9cm by 1.8 cm by 2.2 cm. I don't understand why there is only a single dimension in the preceding postings. The pseudoaneurysm extend inferiorly from the suture line of the aortic valve surgery. There are extensive surgical clips and monitor wires present in the mediastinium. The ascending aorta measures approximately 4 cm in diameter which is mildly ectatic. Anyone with information on this terminology, please help.
Thanks - Bill

A pseudoaneurysm, also known as a false aneurysm, is an outpouching of a blood vessel, involving a defect in the 2 innermost layer (tunica intima and media) with continuity of the outermost layer (adventia). Alternatively, all three layers are damaged and the bleeding is contained by a blood clot or surrounding structures. Given the increase in invasive cardiac procedures, damage to all three layers is the more common source of pseudoaneurysm. The older definition of damage to the 2 innermost layers is largely historic, and is more commonly seen following trauma to a vessel.

Femoral pseudoaneurysms may complicate up to 8% of vascular interventional procedures. Small pseudoaneurysms can spontaneously clot, while others need definitive treatment. Surgery is considered the gold-standard treatment, although is not without risk in patients with severe cardiovascular disease. Less invasive treatment options, such as Duplex ultrasound-guided compression and percutaneous thrombin injection are available, however, evidence of their efficacy is somewhat limited.

So your 0.9cm by 1.8 cm by 2.2 cm is your defect area. Tiny really, but with enough damage, even tiny is trouble. Your overall Aorta size of 4.0cm is what the single measurement is of the overall Aorta. When you get a balloon aneurysm on it, it's refered to size 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 etc. hope I'm making sense. I know what I'm trying to say but don't know if it's coming across like that.

Latest posts

Back