Aortic Aneurysm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorimacm

I have noticed many of you have aortic aneurysms and just wondered on the thought if it could be hereditary. I was reading that if a family has had this I should get it checked. My echos have only been of my "heart" evaluating the valves and not checking the complete aorta down to abdomen. My father had this and it eventually was the cause of his cardiac arrest. He was in a frail state due to renal cancer so repair was not an option for him - he would not likely survive surgery. While he was succumbing to the cancer they believe the aneurysm burst and he went into cardiac arrest. I have mentioned it to my current cardiologist (I am trying to find another doc) and he did not say anything about checking me. Just confused why he wouldn't want to check me unless the normal echo will give an indication to check further - I just have no idea. It has been more than six years since his passing and I was thinking maybe I should try to get a copy of his records if possible to bring to my next appt.

What do you all think? Am I just being paranoid? :confused:

Thanks,
Lori

Welcome Lori,
Yes aneurysms can be heredity (especially if the aortic valve is bi-cuspid-known as BAV) There is a strong relationship between BAV and connective tissue disorder. Your echo will show the diameter of the root and first couple of inches of your ascending aorta. Usually if there is an increase in diameter from normal, the doctor will consider having a CT scan done- maybe that is why your doctor is not concerned. To get a full picture you will need a CT scan. I could not tell if your fathers aneurysm was an ascending or descending aneurysm. Based on your family history, and if it was a descending aneurysm, if it was me I would be wanting that CT scan (yes they can be pricey) Hope this helps, there are others that will be along that can add a lot more information than I have.

I was adopted, so I have no clue as to whether mine was hereditary or not. I had a tricuspid valve and my aneurysm ruptured at around 4.7. I definately have weak tissue and a lot of what is seen in BAV patients. I'm wearing a 3.6 abdominal aneurysm now.

Thanks so much. I think I be inquiring about further testing to check. My father's was in his abdomenal area (is that ascending or descending??) and I do not know if he had BAV. I do think it's worth the question.

Thanks again!!

I also had one my surgeon asked me if anyone in my family had Marfan Syndrome. I said no, and that I was worried about my daughter that is 17. I did not have marfan but he did say it was inherited. I will be having my daughter checked for bicuspid AV, anyway!

One question that comes up in these discussions is whether there is any history of sudden deaths in the family. I don't know for sure if any of my relatives have or had BAV/aneurysms, but my uncle died suddenly at age 33 and a cousin (male) on the same side of the family also died suddenly at an early age. I've read that some doctors ask this question as part of valvular heart disease screening.

Jim

Abdominal is known as AAA or abdominal aortic aneurysm. The words ascending or descending dont apply. They apply in this way...ascending is on its way up to the aortic arch and descending is on the way down from the arch.

Dont forget to ask about getting your brain scanned too as that is another area where aneurysms grow and are fairly deadly...my grandfather died from one of those...my Dad had the same as me and 2 of my 3 sons have BAV's...so yes...its very important to get everything scanned and re-scanned every few years.

Abdominal is known as AAA or abdominal aortic aneurysm. The words ascending or descending dont apply. They apply in this way...ascending is on its way up to the aortic arch and descending is on the way down from the arch.

That's interesting...

I thought AAA refered to Ascending Aortic Aneurism.

I guess that's why some Hospitals are stressing FULL NAME idendificaitons and going away from abbreviations / acronyms (sp?).

'AL Capshaw'

That's interesting...

I thought AAA refered to Ascending Aortic Aneurism.

I guess that's why some Hospitals are stressing FULL NAME idendificaitons and going away from abbreviations / acronyms (sp?).

'AL Capshaw'

I've always known AAA to be abdominal aortic aneurism, that's how it was written on the OR schedual of the hospitals I worked out. AAA usually start below the renal arteries, below the diaphram a descending goes from below the arch to the diaprahm.
My Mom had AAA and bifemoral bypass surgery about 15 years ago, recovery was tough, but she did pretty good after the first rough months.

There is a wide variety of diagnoses of people with aortic aneurysms. I was called Marfan, then Marfan-like, then bicuspid aortic valve type.

I just spent the day with my friend who had a surprise dissection at age 40. (She is now just "Marfan-like"). She has no mal-formed heart valves. But her father had died of an ascending aortic aneurysm at age 40, so her problem is officially called "hereditary". She eventually had to go back to have all 14 inches of her ascending and descending aorta replaced by a dacron tube.

So, yes they should be checking your whole aorta. Aneurysms of the upper aorta before the arch and some other aneurysms may not show up at all on echos (mine did not) but MRIs and thoracic CT scans can see them. (Mine showed up first on a chest X-ray.)

(No one ever mentioned the brain aneurysm checks to me, but it sounds like a good thing.)

Latest posts

Back