Aortic Aneurysm and Respiratory Issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aortic Aneurysm and Respiratory Issues

• I have COPD and an Aortic Aneurysm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duff Man

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Here's my goal for this thread and the poll ^ above: I want to see if there's a correlation with respiratory issues such as COPD, asthma, or sleep apnea and aortic aneurysms.

UofM recently mailed out a survey to people with thoracic aortic aneurysms asking them if they have either been diagnosed with sleep apnea, or have symptoms of sleep apnea. It appears they think there may be a link to sleep apnea and TAA's. I want to go one step further and lump in copd and asthma.

If you have or had an aneurysm, please respond to the poll.

A caveat about the poll: You could have sleep apnea and not know it. Here are signs of sleep apnea... if you have more than a couple, it's safe to say you have some apnea. Please do indicate as much in the poll.

• snoring, especially loud snoring and frequent snoring that bothers other people
  • people notice you stop breathing in your sleep
  • feeling tired or fatigued after sleep
  • feeling tired fatigued or not up to par during the day
  • falling asleep while driving
  • hypertension
  • seriously overweight

I personally think the association makes perfect sense, since it's known that sleep apnea and copd can cause dilation of the pulmonary artery. We'll see though.

Last edited:
Hi Duff

My aneurysm was in the ascending aorta. It resulted from AS. When the AV was removed the opening had regressed to .5 cm2. The px reading at the time was 45-56. Now I have a 23 mm On-X and the px reading is a phenomenal 4-6. Bye bye aneurism.

I was made aware of a possible connection between sleep apnea and aortic aneurysms from my cardiologist a year ago, as part of my pre-surgery discussions. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at least 5 years earlier (had some of the symptoms for years prior too), yet did not stick with CPAP because I thought I couldn't tolerate it. Anyway, I've taken a pause every now and then, wondering if I'd been more proactive sooner, who knows. But I had a bicuspid aortic valve too and life is life, so I don't venture down that road.

Anyway, it's funny how things change your perspective, though. I've been on CPAP every night since my surgery.

Stay on top of it my friend - I am convinced there is a strong correlation. It may not be the only reason for an aneurysm, but it obviously has something do with it. I posted several links on my site to studies showing a correlation, but I will omit the link to my site out of respect for this site.

I mean, even insurance companies are specifically approving a one time screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms in smokers. So the data is out there, but it's just not mainstream yet with Medical Deities.

Will do, thanks. Aneurysm research and treatment guidelines are certainly progressing. Just started another thread related to that.

Latest posts

Back