Aorta Aneurysm Repair August 14 -- questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephR

Re: the countdown.... I had some anxiety leading up to my surgery due to a previous surgery when I was 12 to fix a coarc. The month before my surgery, I immersed myself in my work to keep busy and get my mind off things to come. It helped that I had a consulting contract that I was trying to wrap up before I went out. Two weeks before surgery I stopped working and took a vacation to the Bahamas to relax for 10 days and get myself in the proper mindset for surgery -- I just wanted to go sit on an island for a while. It definitely worked and I returned two days before my surgery surprisingly calm. After the pre-op testing (day before surgery) it hit me that the actual surgery (what I was most afraid of) was going to be the easiest part for me and the recovery was going to be worst part for me. Still I was amazingly calm. I did ask for a couple Xanax to take the night before my surgery to help me to sleep and the day of to calm my nerves.

I only freaked out in the pre-op room while playing the waiting game. I was the first one to arrive at 5am and they didn't wheel me into the OR until 7am. I didn't think about it much when it was scheduled because I'd thought I'd be "occupied" with prep stuff. But I ended up waiting around (1.5 hours) on a gurney for most of the time with all the other surgery patients -- it was then I started to dwell on what was about to happen. Also, not good for me being an impatient person by nature - I was ready to get the show on the road! Next time I would ask them to try to schedule the minimum amount of time.

Before going in the OR, I also had my anesthesiologist give me a sedative as I did not want to "see", have any memories of the operating room, or transfer myself on the operating table. They couldn't "put me out" prior to OR, but whatever they gave me worked and I didn't remember being wheeled out of the prep room. Would definitely recommend if ORs or medical procedures make you squeamish.

Aorta Aneurysm Repair August 14 -- questions

I've done all my posting over in the BAV forum. I am having an aortic root aneurysm repaired on August 14 and if all goes well having the David Reimplantation Procedure done to spare the valve. I have very mild leakage.

I would like to prepare my wife and family for what I will look like after surgery. I know bugchucker has some photos up and I have shown those to my wife, but does anyone else have post-op photos up that I could use to prepare them?

Also, do you have any suggestions for me as I count down the month to surgery? I feel great and beyond a little nervousness, I feel good about things.

I will be doing my surgery at Hopkins with Dr. Duke Cameron.

CD
Glad you are getting it done. Are they thinking of trying to repair nyour bi valve while they are in there?

I will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow and getting stroger each day. I had the additional bump of having bleeding and had to be open again so I had my first and seconOHS the same day. The pics may help but when it is your family it is had to prepare them because you will look like every movie seen they have ever saw where someone is about to die. I did have the benifit of having my daughter there (who is a surgical RN) so she helped them understand all was ok.

Now for your part if you need to lose weight I would do that. I lost 31lbs before surgery and 11 more after. Nothing you read or see can prepare you for how you will feel the first couple of days post op. I remember thinking "I hope this fixes me because I don't think I could talk myself into it again." I think like women and child birth that thought will fade with time. Then as additional re enforcement my best friend came by thursday to see me. His wife and I have been trying to get him to get out of the VA clinic and go see a real doctor. This morning I got the news that he had a heart attack at 2:30AM and died. As bad as you will feel after surgery the alternative is worse.

I would like to prepare my wife and family for what I will look like after surgery.

Firstly, if you have young kids, I strongly encourage you not to let them visit you in the hospital until a day or two post-ICU. It will just be too scary / traumatic for them. The only one that I would allow to see me immediately post-surgery was my wife. Interestingly, she took pictures but I haven't wanted her to show them to me yet. (I also walk out of the room when she's watching her medical dramas... I guess I'm just squeamish).

If you do find yourself getting anxious, I recommend that you have your doctor prescribe an anti-anxiety medication (mine prescribed clonazepam). It really improved my sleep, and I was getting to the point where I think anxiety was making me less fit for the operation.

By the way, I had the exact same operation as you about 4 weeks ago, and physically I'm feeling surprisingly good. The main issues are the 5 pound lifting limit and inability to drive, but I'm looking forward to getting past those.

Red
6/11/09 - Valve sparing ascending aorta and arch replacement, BAV

My first OHS was emergent so we had no time to prepare and my DH was given no info as to what I would look like in CICU. He later told me that when he saw me, he freaked as he was totally shocked with the vent and drainage tubes and the rest and apparently, when he touched me I was still cold as they had not finished warming me. I was at Mass General and only because he knows that is such a fine heart center, he had faith things would be okay and they were.

Don't over do the info with your family. Warn them there will be tubes and machines all over the place and most of us have most of the 'equipment' out and gone by day two. They will see your steady improvement and all will be well.

Sometimes a little info goes a long way but a lot is too much IMO

Firstly, if you have young kids, I strongly encourage you not to let them visit you in the hospital until a day or two post-ICU. It will just be too scary / traumatic for them. The only one that I would allow to see me immediately post-surgery was my wife. Interestingly, she took pictures but I haven't wanted her to show them to me yet. (I also walk out of the room when she's watching her medical dramas... I guess I'm just squeamish).

If you do find yourself getting anxious, I recommend that you have your doctor prescribe an anti-anxiety medication (mine prescribed clonazepam). It really improved my sleep, and I was getting to the point where I think anxiety was making me less fit for the operation.

By the way, I had the exact same operation as you about 4 weeks ago, and physically I'm feeling surprisingly good. The main issues are the 5 pound lifting limit and inability to drive, but I'm looking forward to getting past those.

Red
6/11/09 - Valve sparing ascending aorta and arch replacement, BAV

That's right Reddog, I think I remember discussing things with you pre-surgery. You went to Stanford, right? Dr. Miller?

I am glad to hear things are going well. I actually already have some anti-anxieties because of my personality! (Not that anyone on here could have figured that out with my frequent posts and questions!) Would you take the clonazepam before bed?

That's right Reddog, I think I remember discussing things with you pre-surgery. You went to Stanford, right? Dr. Miller?

I am glad to hear things are going well. I actually already have some anti-anxieties because of my personality! (Not that anyone on here could have figured that out with my frequent posts and questions!) Would you take the clonazepam before bed?

Right, Dr. Miller did the surgery at Stanford, and he was the perfect surgeon for me. I hear Dr. Cameron is world-class as well, so you'll be in great hands.

My physician prescribed 1mg of clonazepam - once before bed and once in the morning. I've found that the 1mg at night works great, but I prefer .5 in the morning so that I feel less sleepy during the day. Post-surgery, I'm taking the 1mg at night, and don't feel that I need it during the day. I still feel some anxiety, but having the surgery over has reduced it significantly.

Best of luck! You'll do great and feel great (particularly after a month). I think that you'll find the surgery will be harder on the spouse than it is on you.

Firstly, if you have young kids, I strongly encourage you not to let them visit you in the hospital until a day or two post-ICU. It will just be too scary / traumatic for them.

Ditto. I did not see my son for the first 2 days and we spent a lot of time before hand preparing him for the tubes, etc., he is 7 years old.

Countdown for me, next Thursday, aortic aneurysm repair (hopefully that is all, but they have to see if the aorta was damaged by the aneurysm... so since the Xanex is not working i will read all the scary stories, might as well be prepared.....hmmm i did not make a good girl scout. Too chicken to look at the photo's....well it's 1:45 am, and maybe I will try to sleep. I am definately asking for the not remembering anything drugs...good idea, but it better not be xanex 2mg, they are not working tonight......

Yes, no kids under 14 and even then I don't recommend they visit the CICU. A reassuring word from their other parent that you're out of surgery and sleeping should suffice until you're out of ICU.

My instructions to my husband were to only allow the kids in while I was intubated only if it became apparent that I was never going to come off the ventilator... No more needs to be said.

My hospital gave patients and their families a short info session on the types of surgeries and then a brief tour of the CICU itself (including the scrub and dressing procedures). Better to see before it's your loved one in the bed than to be stunned by the beeps and tubes the day of.

Latest posts

Back