Anything wrong with these valves in the report?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nupur

My 23 year old male cousin in India has had a few fainting spells, and was sent to do an ECHO. Apparently the doctor told him not to swim or bike because of his mitral valve prolapse. I don't see
anything alarming in the valve that could cause fainting. Certainly a mild prolapse of the anterior leaflet couldn't be causing fainting? Any thoughts?

M-Mode Echocardiograph
VALVES

1.AORTIC
Normal
structure : 15-26/mm
Cusp Opening : 13mm
Closaure Line : Central
Flutter :Absent

2. MITRAL
ANTERIOR LEAFLET : NORMAL VALUES
STRUCTURE : PROLAPSE
EXCURTION : 24MM
118MM/sec 80-150mm/sec
EF Slope : 2-7mm
E-point Septal
Seperation :7mm
Flutter: Absent
Systolic Anterior Motion : Absent
Impression

** LV is normal in cavity dimensions.
** No wall motion abnormability .
** Good LVSF with EF of 72%
** LA , RA & RV are normal in size .
** Mild prolapse of anterior leafelet of MV
**No thickening or redundancy of the valve .
** No MR .
** AOV , TV & PV are normal in structure .
** Normal Pericardium

Although there are some things in the echo report I don't know anything about, the things I do understand lead me to believe that his doctor does not know what he is talking about!!

His Ejection Fraction of 72% caught my attention.

That number is on the High Side of Normal (Normal definions vary but are typically between 50 and 65 or 70%).

High EF's are typically found in 2 types of people:

Highly Trained Athletes (such as Bicycle Champion Lance Armstrong)
Heart Valve Patients whose hearts are compensating for a Stenotic Valve.

'AL Capshaw'

I had severe mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation (bileaflet) and a low normal EF and was on no exercise restrictions prior to my surgery. The execise restrictions are likely to prevent injury from fainting. I do not think the fainting has to do with the valve. Maybe he needs to check orthostatic vitals, blood pressure, and heart rate in lying, sitting and standing positions.

His Ejection Fraction of 72% caught my attention.

That number is on the High Side of Normal (Normal definions vary but are typically between 50 and 65 or 70%).

High EF's are typically found in 2 types of people:

Highly Trained Athletes (such as Bicycle Champion Lance Armstrong)
Heart Valve Patients whose hearts are compensating for a Stenotic Valve.

'AL Capshaw'

I will admit that the EF of 72% did catch my eye. However, I didn't see anything about valve opening, so I figured that if the valve had been stenotic, the valve opening would have been mentioned. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty at critisizing the doctor until having that information.

He could be having an arrhythmia which is causing his fainting or very slow heart beats or low blood pressure. He probably needs to be wearing a heart monitor for a month and see exactly what is going on with him. Fainting is not normal and his doctor should be concerned about that.

hi i m mani kant from u.p. lucknow dr. suggest me for volve replacement in auj 2011 pls suggest me the best surgen in india pls ..ph 9721332106

Mani -

Your post will get more attention if you start a New Thread with an appropriate Subject Line.

You may want to do a Search on VR for keyword "India" to find links to posts about surgeries in India.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back