Anyone taken Cephalexin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to an old root canal going bad, I recently was on 1500 MG Cephalexin per day for 10 days. During the first week my INR increased from 3.3 to 3.8.

I've read that Cephalexin can increase INR when taking warfarin. But during this same week I missed my daily 3 mile fast walk. So not sure which one raised the INR. Could have been either. Wondered how Cephalexin effected others taking warfarin.

Lodwick said, Cephalexin has no known direct action on warfarin. He said missing walking was the reason the INR increased. Not sure I totally agree, although I know activity effects INR. May have been the effect of both.

Yes, I reduced dosage from 6 mg a day to 5.5 mg and following weeks test was on spec at 3.4.

Lodwick said, Cephalexin has no known direct action on warfarin. He said missing walking was the reason the INR increased. Not sure I totally agree, although I know activity effects INR. May have been the effect of both.

Yes, I reduced dosage from 6 mg a day to 5.5 mg and following weeks test was on spec at 3.4.

I would agree. Your other option is to leave your dose alone and resume your normal routine. That way, you won't have to change doses again.

Yup ......................

Yup ......................

I've taken Cephalexin prior to dental scaling dosed at 250 mgs x 8) for longer than I can remember and have never noticed fluctuations in my INR.
Of course, one massive dose on one day is different than your experience.
Was this the first experience with this drug?
Of all the drugs I have taken prior to dental work this is by far the best experience--no reactions--I've encountered and hope nothing changes.

No, not with Ceph ...................

No, not with Ceph ...................

Hi Catwoman

Prior to Ceph two other drugs caused reactions, unfortunately I can't remember their names. One was prescribed before and after scaling and caused upset stomach the other one (purple capsule) caused hair to grow on my tongue--Yuck.

Two thumbs up, way up for Ceph.

Thanks for the info about cat scratches. I thought Ceph was for oral protection.

Lance:

Thanks for the info.

When I was first Dxed with MPV in 1990, I took erythromycin. BIG MISTAKE! At another time, I was given Augmentin, which also tore up my GI tract. Maybe these were what you had problems with?

So I take amoxi for dentals and it's also my first line of defense against cat bites. I'm not worried about regular cat scratches; we keep our own cats' claws trimmed. Our cat show rules require that claws be trimmed. Errant exhibitors risk their cat being disqualified.

I would agree. Your other option is to leave your dose alone and resume your normal routine. That way, you won't have to change doses again.
Ross, I didn't feel like walking that week due to the tooth.
Was this the first experience with this drug?
Lance, I don't remember, but probably have taken it over the years.
I always take 2000 mg amoxicillin for dental pre med. Since it's only one dose, I never notice a change in INR.
Have you ever had any GI upset with ceph?
Catw, I never had a problem with GI during the 10 days taking cephalexin. But had major GI problem during and after AVR from all the antibiotics. They didn't clear my GI problem at Houston, still had it when I went home. Finally a local Odessa GI doc put me on clear liquids for 3 days. Then started back with only buttermilk for a day and I was cured. Had that not worked he was going to admit me to a hospital to be fed with IV's.

I take cephalexin for most antibiotic needs including dental pre-med. I am allergic to just about everything else. I have not noticed an INR issue with it and having been taking it for years.

Ross .........................

Ross .........................

I need Pics!

You are bad, bad bad.
It happened more than 10 years ago and even if current who would want pictures to remind them of the experience? Now I know.:eek:

Latest posts

Back