Anyone out there that has had Tricuspid Valve Replacement???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarobn

Hi. I would love to receive any information from those of you who have had tricuspid valve replacement surgery. Did you have OHS or invasive surgery? Mechanical valve vs. tissue valve? Recovery time? Thanks in advance.:)

mamarobn, Hi. I have Ebstein's as well and have had my tricuspid valve replaced. Lyn sent me a message about your other thread on here, but I've been out of town and haven't been able to post. You didn't say who your surgeon was that you are talking to, but I would highly recommend you seek out someone who has had a lot of experience with EA and there aren't very many of them. There is a procedure called the cone procedure that can save the valve in a lot of patients. I didn't have enough tissue to have this done, hence the replacement. However, I would do every thing I can if I were you to spare that valve if possible. The two most experienced surgeons who are doing the cone are Dr. Dearani at the Mayo in Rochester and Dr. Pedro Del Nido at Boston's Children's Hospital.

If you have to go have it replaced, the people who have the most experience usually recommend tissue. A mechanical valve on the right side of your heart is more likely to clot, hence a higher INR has to be maintained. I do know of one woman who Dr. Dearani operated on who he finally put a mechanical in her right side after she had 3 surgeries in a very short time period and already had gone through 1 mechanical valve in 2 years in her aortic position. She is now having problems with the 2 mechanical valves destroying her red blood cells and has to have blood transfusions frequently. I will say this is a rare side effect I think.

I have had my tissue valve now for 3 years. I was 45 when I got it. Dr. Dearani told me that I would hopefully get 12+ years out of this first one and then get more out of each additional one. To my knowledge, tricuspid valves are not being replaced any other way than by traditional OHS at this time. Especially the first one, they will have to reposition the valve to it's correct position.

If I can answer any more questions for you, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Kim

Thanks kfay! I did see the YouTube video. Dr. Dearani was very informative. I am still very nervous and scared about surgery and all. I am still in the process of gathering information to find out exactly what the 1st surgeon wants to do. Then I will be looking into a 2nd opinion. When you had your tricuspid replacement was it OHS or an invasive surgery? It has been helpful finding good information and being able to hear experiences from others from this forum. Thanks again. Happy 4th!!!!

I'm assuming you are asking did I have minimally invasive surgery instead of a sternotomy...I had a sternotomy. Minimally invasive wasn't a option, he had too much to do in there!

Kim

Hi,
I`m a tricuspid valve patient. I was diagnosed with endocarditis in 1991,which damaged my tricuspid valve. It was monitered as a heart murmor for 10 years. Then in Jan 2001, I had OHS to have a tricuspid valve replacement with a tissue valve due to severe tricuspid regurgitation.

I`ve had 11 great years, led a full active life,but my tissue valve is on its way out,and I`m now waiting for my 2nd OHS to replace my tricuspid valve with another tissue valve.

My first OHS I was full of anxiety and fear( I was 31 back then) my hair fell out. Afterwards the sternum is painful for a few wees and mobility is limited,like turning in bed, getting out of a chair etc. After 2 months things are pretty much bac to normal but taking it easy. After 6 months I was beter than ever. Go for it,put your trust in those surgeons and you will be fine. I`m not that nervous waiting for my 2nd OHS,but I was a nervous wrec the first time.

All the best from UK

Lee

My post is a little late to the game, but on January 21 this year (2014) I had tricuspid and aortic valve replacement. I had contracted endocarditis, which had turned septic, and was very close to death. My surgery was at the Nebraska Medical Center, and Kim Duncan is my heart surgeon. He is very experienced and skilled in treating adults with congenital heart disease. Almost 8 weeks post surgery I am feeling very well. Not quite 100%, but I see improvement every day in leg strength and exercise tolerance. I am hoping I can begin riding my bicycle in May this year. This was my 3rd OHS in my life time spanning 1969 - 2014.

My only suggestion is to fond a surgeon with a lot of experience, and one you feel comfortable with. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Duncan's skill and his ability to be very personable and informative.

Latest posts

Back