anyone here having or had AVR AND bypass surgery??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Just wondering if there's anyone here that's having or has had AVR and bypass surgery at the same time? Would just like to hear your experience of the surgery and the recovery. I may or may not have to have the bypass along with my AVR, should know after heart cath, tomorrow though.

Can't speak from personal experience, but did want to say - keep us posted after the cath tomorrow. Hoping for the best possible news.

If it's comforting at all, I heard recently (assuming I heard right) that those with bi-cuspid valves tend to have less issues with cloggged arteries. And in my case, and several others on here recently, the cath showed no significant blockages, so bypass wasn't needed. Hope that's the case for you too. But if not, they do bypasses all the time too so I know you'll be fine. Ok, I'll shut up now and let those that have been through it answer, like you asked ;)

I had my cath two weeks ago and I was told that my ramus intermedius is 80% narrowed. So now, I will have a replacement done in addition to replacing the ascending aorta and repair of my aortic valve. My surgery is scheduled for next month. I am also curious as to the recovery. I am hoping that they don't use the leg to harvest an artery, we'll see.

Good luck with your cath. I had my done through the arm, much shorter recovery time than through the groin.

While I didn't end up having a bypass, a vein was havested from my upper thigh just in case they needed it during a long surgery. I don't remember the leg incision hurting much (or the holes from the balloon pump in the other thigh) but in all fairness I was out of it and in bed for longer than most. it did leave a nice scar however.

Will be giving an update on the cath. tomorrow, thanks.
Lon, I'm glad you were able to have your cath done through the arm, mine will be the groin. And I better recover pretty quickly, because my big surgery is this Friday! So far, as of now, looks like I'll be having aortic valve replaced, aorta replaced and will find out for sure from tomorrow's cath. whether or not I'll have to have bypass surgery as well. Surgeon told me without the bypass surgery, my surgery should last about 6 hours. I'm disappointed in that, because I was thinking all I was going to have to replace was the aortic valve and surgery would be about 3 hours. Looks like I'm learning more every few days that it's going to be quite different from what I thought. I had my ct angiogram a few weeks ago, and it took this long for me to get all of this information. I realize my surgeon was out of town all of last week, but from what his nurse told me, my arteries looked ok and she mentioned nothing at all about the aorta. I even asked and she said, that the surgeon didn't mention anything about the aorta to her. ugh. I'll be ok, just needed to vent a little.

Bypass?

Bypass?

Hi Angel,

I'm surprised that you've received no direct answers from members who've had the bypass thing done. There are formum members who've had the procedures done on a single OHS trip. I do recall some of those folks commenting that having all of the work done at once wasn't a bad thing.

Perhaps some of those folks are just a little slow on the keyboard.

Good luck!

-Philip

Well Philip, that's ok. Since I posted that thread, I've got other issues I would really like to hear from some people on! lol. This is all moving way too fast for me! I'm going to make a new thread. Thanks!

Just trying to keep this thread towards the top of the "what's new" tab in hopes someone with experience with bypass, valve and aorta will come along soon. Where are all the bypassers, lol?

But Angel, I've heard of many on here with all three things done at once - and I think they all agreed if you need all 3, it's best to get it all done at once. And I don't recall it adding a lot to the process, other than the surgery might be a little longer and you'll have a scar wherever they harvest the vein for the bypass. But that's only IF you need the bypass, which I'm still hoping you don't. Not because it would be a bad thing, just because you're worried about it. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they just end up doing a stent tomorrow during the cath (instead of a bypass on surgery day) since you're estimated blockage is only 50%. Did they mention that yet as a possibility? If not, it's something to ask about before the procedure tomorrow. They mentioned it to me - if they found blockages during the cath, they might do a stent, or if the blockages were worse, they might do a bypass during surgery.

Results of my cath showed a spot (didn't inquire exact spot) 30% blocked. Cardio was not too concerned. After surgeon saw condition of the heart muscle, he performed an "internal" bypass. He used an artery from the chest cavity to bypass the blockage instead of having to harvest a leg vein.

I wanted them to fix everything while I was open. I had AVR, aorta replacement including the bottom part of the arch, and the "internal" bypass. My surgery was a little over 7 hours. The surgeon had to craft the aorta replacement with a Dacron tube since I received the St. Jude Regent mech valve. I thought I would get the St. Jude valve with the attached Dacron graft, but I was informed it used the older Masters series.

Recovery has not been bad other than the standard soreness, coughing/sneezing problems. Biggest "problem" has been slight numbness on the left side of my incision. I've been told the feeling may/may not come back.

Andy, I was told a few things. First, I was told from the CT Angiogram it showed a 50% blockage , in LAD. I was told if the cath. shows 50% they will do nothing, but anything over 50% they will do bypass when I have the surgery on Friday. So no stents. Anyway, that's what my cardiologist said to me. Now, tonight when my surgeon called me, he said, the CT Angiogram showed a range of the blockage, being 25 - 50%. So...... he also said if it's over 50 they will bypass it, but not if it's under. So there. Sort of worried about having all of this aorta replacement thing now.

a4wanman
I'm glad you made it through your surgery and everything is going nicely. My surgeon said if I choose porcine tissue, it would be freestyle valve. It all comes in one piece. the ascending aorta would be a dacron tube, etc. But it's all in one piece with the pig valve. Take care of yourself, and continue some good ole healing!

Hey Angel:

All I can say is WOW! You’re VERY lucky! Last year, I was in exactly the same boat but my deal went a lot differently! I was diagnosed with a 98% blockage of the RCA and while they were poking around in there they found my undiagnosed 4.8 cm ascending aortic aneurism and a bi-cusped valve. Long story short, I got a single stent, and get to go back this year for the other stuff. If only I had known than what I know now! I could have gotten it all done and been living the high life now! LOL!! I will say lucky for me that I did discover this forum. I was a real wreck when they told me about the aneurism and stuff. I thought I was done for! When they told me in December that I was ready for a new aorta, I FREAKED! he couldnt do it because I was still on Plavix for 6 more months. Now that I am getting ready to exit the plavix treatment, and now, after a few days among friends here, it’s all good! I know a lot more than I did and life is all good again. Sure, Im still walking around like I have a nuke strapped to my chest, but hey, whatdda gonna do?

Anyway, please consider picking up a book by Dr. Stephen Sinatra MD called the Sinatra Solution. Its great reading for us folks with athro in addition to the other stuff. I went on the regiment he suggested with the blessing of my cardiologist and the improvement in my cardiac health and overall comfort after the stent was amazing!

Well anyway, congratulations on your new hardware and plumbing. Like you, I hope to be on the other side soon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much Jake! I can understand you being a total wreck! I've been a total wreck too. Thanks for the suggestion on the book also. I'm sorry you're having to go through it again so soon, but at least it was found and now you can get it fixed at least. Since it's after midnight, my surgery is in 2 more days....eeeeck!!! I feel like I'm dreaming all of this, really. Can't believe it's happening, eventhough we all have so much to be thankful for, it's still shocking to me. I'm just glad that they'll be able to do some fixing up I just pray I'll make it through everything ok. My surgeon said about a 6 hour surgery, that is if they don't have to do the bypass, which I'll find out for sure tomorrow by the good ole heart cath. Take care, and I will keep you i n my prayers also. You're going to be fine. Do you know when you're going in yet? Keep us posted.

Aortic Graft

Aortic Graft

Angel,

It's normal to be worried about the work they will do on your heart and aorta. In all honesty, I was absoultely terrified.

Try not to let the aortic graft thing worry you too much. I'm sure it's hard to get your head wrapped around what's coming at you and it never helps when last minute changes are made to the game plan.

Aortic aneuryisms are relatively common for those of us who wound up with bicuspid aortic valves. Aneuryisms in the aorta frequently manifest in the ascending portion. Often, the problem is related to defective tissue. Sometimes, the bicuspid valve produces turbulant blood flow which stretches the tissue in the aorta. Aneuryisms sometimes result from a combination of these issues. There are probably additional and more complicated explanations as well.

Since you're receiving a valve with a factory attached conduit, the valve and the new section of aorta go in at the same time. Basically, the bad section of aortic tissue is removed, the graft is cut to length and attached to the remainder of your original equipment. Depending upon how much of your aorta needs to be replaced, the surgeon may or may not need to attach some of the blood vessels which radiate out of the aorta.

Success rates for this particular procedure are very high. Odds are definately in your favor for having a positive outcome.

-Philip

Gee, thanks Philip. Glad to hear that. By the way, they changed my time to be there for the cath this morning from 6:30 to 9 am. I'm glad. Will keep you updated.

hi angel,
sorry i haven't responded sooner. how did the cath go this morning? my father had bypass and avr surgery done simultaneously about 13 years ago. he has a st. jude's mechanical valve. they had done stents the year before but they did not hold up. his recovery was fine. had him walking around the halls withing a day or two, rested up a lot.
a few years ago he had his mitral valve repaired with minimally invasive surgery by the late dr. stephen colvin at nyu in nyc.
so far so good.....
pls try to keep busy these next few days before the surgery. the waiting and home stretch are the worst; you just want it to come.
while you might be unable to, are you able to have someone else post to let us know how surgery went?
we'll be thinking of you and praying for you.
be well,
sylvia

Angel,

AVR & Cabg 1x ; 7 weeks this Friday . Doing well no complications expect a little sugar issue and blood pressure but that was only for a couple of days after surgery and was cleared up before i went home . Was told by many that this sometime happens due to your bodies shock of having surgery.
Surgery took 6-6 1/2 hours. I 'm now a 48 year old cow girl in NYC (no not singing with the Naked Cowboy) mammary artery used for the bypass. My Right Coronary artery was blocked 85% at the end of a stented area , the top of the artery also had a stent so it was thought that it was best and since they had to replace the Aortic Valve do the bypass. In ICU for about 2 days . Whole stay 5 days in on Friday and out by Wednesday , however took almost 6 weeks for all of chest tubes holes to heal .
Hope your Cath was good and didn't show any surprises. If you need the bypass now would be the time to do it .
Keep busy clean things that will be hard to do once you get home (toilet and bathtub/shower cleaning), fresh sheets on the bed ,wash the floors and no dishes in ths sink. I was very upset about going in and cried for 2 days before and then cried 2 weeks after but at least now I'm not crying for very commercial on TV or greeting card I see.

Friday will come quick and before you know it you'll be dancing on this side of the mountain .

Good Luck !

Latest posts

Back