Anyone had surgery after age 65?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rosamg

Hello, I'm new to the site. My mother is 69 (going to turn 70 on 3/27) and will undergo double valve replacement surgery on 2/19. She's really scared and I'm freaking out too! Is there anyone out there who had sugery at about this age? I'd love to hear your story.
Thanks!

Until one of our esteemed elder members replies, I can tell you with certainty that yes, there are older people then this that have done it. Up too and including the 90's age group. If your mom is in otherwise fine health, she shouldn't have too much of a problem. It's scary, no one will say it's not, but it's very doable.

Check out our member MARTY.

He was in his 70's when he had his Valve Replacement Surgery and is doing fine. He still works half-time as a Radiologist (M.D.) and plays a Lot of Golf.

Most patients do a LOT better after Valve Replacement Surgery because their faulty and failing valve has been replaced with a valve that functions so much better.

There can be some 'bumps in the road to recovery' and it seems to take longer than we would like, BUT it still beats the alternative of letting nature take it's course!

'AL Capshaw'

Dick was 70 at the time of his aortic valve replacement and now (4 years later) he is fine- playing tennis, golf, bicycling and living life to its fullest. 65 is a youngun!!:D Welcome to our group and please try to get your mother involved too- her fears will be allayed.

Welcome to the VR community. As you can see from the replies already, many have had this done at your mother's age, and beyond, and improved their quality of life. Yes it is scary but, although a bit younger (50) when I had it done, I found my fears were much worse than the actual experience. I don't know your mother's overall health situation but valve replacement surgery in general is considered fairly routine these days. When I had mine, I was pleasantly surprised by just how routine the end-to-end process seemed to be for all the doctors and staff. Best wishes to your mom and you.

Rosa,

It would be good for you (and your mother) to browse through the Pre-Surgery and Post-Surgery forums to get a feel for other's experiences.

While OHS is MAJOR Surgery, it is a highly refined art with exceptional success rates, especially when performed by surgeons who do this on a regular basis. Finding a very experienced surgeon (one who does lots of Valve Surgeries - say at least 100 per year) and not just one who does lots of ByPass Surgeries and a FEW Valves is Key to Success.

Your mother (and you) may want to ask your Primary Care Physician(s) or Cardiologist or Surgeon for a prescription for anti-anxiety medication. That and Knowledge gained by reading others experiences, often results in members reporting a 'sense of calm' going into surgery, knowing that others have gone through this too with excellent results.

'AL Capshaw'

I was 67 when I had quad bypass. about 4-5 yrs ago I had abdominal surgery to remove a large tumor. Both are major surgeries. I am still here. Just have someone stay with your mother during the day to be sure she gets what she needs and that she gets out of bed as soon as she can - moving about staves off further complications such as pneumonia. I came down with pneumonia after my second surgery because they had injured my hip in the OR and it hurt to walk, therefore I refused to get out of bed and the staff didn't insist! What did I know - I was on drugs at the time and completely out of my head so I didn't know I had an injury - nor did they!

Your mother is young (tell her) and she should do just fine.

I had OHS two years ago and I was 64, turned 65 six months later. I am fine. I am still teaching first grade.
But like your mom, I was scared to death. The worrying before the surgery was the worse of the whole deal. I was in Cardiac Rehab with a man who had just had a valve replacement and he was doing wonderful. He was 80.

I was 64 when I had AVR surgery in September 2007. No bumps in the road during recovery, and I am now four months post-op and feel great...

The surgery is a scary prospect but the alternative is even worse; so tell your mother we will see her on the other side of the mountain after successful surgery....

I am 66 and had aortic valve replacement two weeks ago. When I brought up my age to my surgeon his reply was that I was actually young for this surgery and that he did it on people in their 80s all the time.
Good Luck Earline

Although I was 60 when I had my valve repair, my roommate in the hospital was 73 and had a valve replacement. I had an aunt who had her aortic valve replaced in her late 80's died at 95 of something else. The mother of a friend of mine had about the same story as my aunt.

Just wanted to wish your mum best of luck with the surgery, hope all goes well and she has a great recovery, stick around and ask lots of questions. It is not easy waiting for a loved one to get through the surgery but you cah do it, im sure she will be fine.

If your mother is in relatively good condition, there shouldn't be many problems. Many people have VR in their 60s, 70s and even older.
People can have problems with cardiac surgery at any age, so being older doesn't necessarily present

My father-in-law was 64 when he had his first MVR (porcine) and 74 when he had a re-op (MVR, AVR, aorta repair + 4 bypasses).

My dad's mom was in her mid-70's and was very ill with her bad heart when she had her aortic valve replaced twenty years ago and things went well for her.

Hope all goes well for your mother. Take care and keep asking your questions.

I was in a room with three other ladies after my valve replacement, and at the age of 52, trust me, I definitely felt like the "baby"; one woman was in her 80s, another one was on her second OHS, and the other had some other problems as well as the heart issues.

I am now 67, had my AVR 2 years ago. Before surgery I was short of breath, sluggish and lazy. Now I can do all the things I want to do with an enthusiastic and able body and mind.:D

Thank you all so much for your warm wishes and encouraging words. My mother doesn't speak/read/write much English so she can't join in but I will definitely be translating it all to her.

Another concern we have is that she has diabetes (Type 2 - on oral meds). While it's pretty well controlled (mid to high 100's), I think THIS is what's freaking her out the most. She's afraid the diabetes won't let her body heal properly. Has anyone out there had valve replacement surgery AND have diabetes? How was your recovery? Did it affect the surgery itself?
Thanks again!

I have Type II diabetes and had quadrupal bypass surgery in January 2006 at age 68. I also had an ICD implanted 3 days after the bypass surgery. Eleven months later, at age 69, I had my second open heart surgery to replace one of the bypasses that had failed, and to perform transmyocardial laser revascularization to an area of the heart that couldn't be easily reached with a bypass graft, and to replace a very stenotic aortic valve. The recovery from both surgeries was fairly smooth with fewer bumps than I imagined there might be at my age. While in hospital my blood surgar was monitored with finger sticks several times a day and controlled with my oral medication supplemented with small injections of insulin when necessary. When I returned home I went back on oral diabetes medications and my diabetes continues to be well controlled. If your mom's diabetes is fairly well controlled with oral meds they will closely monitor her sugar during her time in the hospital for her surgery and initial recovery and she shouldn't have any problems due to the diabetes. Everybody has concerns when facing OHS; but, if your mother is in fairly good health, other than the heart problem, she will due just fine. You all will be in my prayers.

Jim

rosamg said:
Thank you all so much for your warm wishes and encouraging words. My mother doesn't speak/read/write much English so she can't join in but I will definitely be translating it all to her.

Another concern we have is that she has diabetes (Type 2 - on oral meds). While it's pretty well controlled (mid to high 100's), I think THIS is what's freaking her out the most. She's afraid the diabetes won't let her body heal properly. Has anyone out there had valve replacement surgery AND have diabetes? How was your recovery? Did it affect the surgery itself?
Thanks again!

I am 66, was 63 at time of OHS surgery, and am a type 2 diabetic. The only impact I was aware of is that hospital staff woke me up at ungodly hours to check my blood sugar. I remember nurses telling me that the reading looked really good. Don't think there is any effect on healing at all -- is just something that needs to be monitored, along with everything else. All best wishes to your Mom!

Latest posts

Back