Anyone experience stomach issues with Warfarin or Lopressor?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmaceae

Every since my surgery back in March, my stomach has been feeling upset, sometimes nausea, most of the time crampy, and the muscles feel like you did 1000 sit ups. I attribute the muscle cramps to the incision and the 3 holes I had with the drainage tubes, but the upset stomach has me confused. I talked to my cardio yesterday and he said it could be the meds (Warfarin or Lopressor) but really did not have any other answers. Anyone here experience this? I can not put any pressure on my stomach because it hurts, or is very uncomfortable. I do have GERD but it has never bothered me like this before. Every morning I wake up I feel weak and just all around bad, but as the day goes on I feel much better.
Maybe this is normal, I don't know?
Thanks,

I had surgery March 5th, I'm on coumadin and lopressor. As well as prilosec for my acid reflux, but I haven't had any stomache problems.
I had some stomache muscle pain right after surgery, which I attributed to using my abs more to get out of bed and whatnot, but it faded pretty fast.

Have you discussed your Stomach Issues (muscle and internal) with your PCP and/or GastroEnterologist?

If not, maybe you should.

I don't recall anyone having any stomach issues with Coumadin / Warfarin, BUT if you have ulcers or internal bleeding, that could be an issue that needs to be checked.

'AL Capshaw'

My stomach is super sensitive.....no fried foods or spicy stuff for me.....so I was concerned that taking daily Coumadin would cause trouble. It hasn't. But I do make sure to take it with my dinner. Lopressor should be fine also. I take Metoprolol on an empty stomach without issue.
It's best to bring this up with your doctor and maybe try a bland diet for a few weeks and see what happens.
Bland can be good-----baked or boiled potatoes, roasted chicken without skin, steamed veggies, steamed rice, broiled fish, lean beef, yogurt, bananas, etc.
It's also wise to get blood tests to rule out a vitamin or iron deficiency.

Before my surgery and after my surgery I have had issues with my stomach. I notice that if my diet gets rich (even moderately) I tend to get bloating, lots of burping and whatnot. But there are occasions where my stomach feels distended and if I push on it directly below my sternum its painful. It also seems to creep into my back and there have been times where all I can do is lay on the bed in a fetal position and ride it out. 8 hours isn't uncommon. A heating pad on the burn setting is also a good distraction. Fortunately that only happens if I go a little nuts on higher fat foods and sugar drinks.

I saw my PCP a few weeks ago and he told me to come back the next time this happens as he wants to run some blood work to check if I have gaulbladder issues. I never considered it before but after reading the symptoms it certainly makes sense. Not sure if those symptoms apply to you but maybe you should look it up and ask your PCP.

Before surgery and for a little while after, I had nonstop heartburn/reflux if I ate anything acidic. I was eating Pepcid like candy in those days. One day, it all stopped and hasn't returned since. Still have no explaination for it.

I had a lot of digestion issues after endocarditis and for awhile after surgery. I don't believe I had any stomach problems with warfarin or lopressor though. You might want to get your blood pressure checked though, because low BP can cause nausea.

It could just be mental stress. I really think a lot of my stomach/intestine problems pre-surgery were just from stress and anxiety. A curious benefit after taking lorazepam/ativan was my digestion problems would disappear for about a day.

Check with your PCP. And BTW I usually had the worst problems in the morning with nausea and cramping ("morning sickness") once my stomach/intestines "woke up" after being quiet overnight.

Thank you everyone, I will check with my PCP and see what happens. It is funny how some days you feel great, then some days not so great, but I do know one day soon I will feel better then normal!

You did not mention constipation. Boy oh boy, did Coumadin and then Warfarin give me constipation! I thought I would have to call 911 a couple of times (don't ask :( ).

I was reading the side-effects of Gerd meds in combination with Coumadin or Warfarin. I was scared by what I read but some doctors told me I "misinterpretted" what the warning really was. :eek:

I am glad you are going to talk to your PCP about your somach problems!

(By the way, my Coumadin/Warfarin constipation issue is seeming to resolve itself). :)

Latest posts

Back