Anyone been to Duke

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my surgery @ Duke 7/12. The rooms are very small!!! If they put you in the room around the ice machine, ask them to please move you cause you will never get a minutes sleep if you don't. I was directly across from it and someone got ice 24 hrs a day and it's very loud.

I took my pillow from home but I don't think it mattered. I took pajamas that opened in the front but I only wore them the last day and got blood on them. Make sure to take slippers that you can slide on easily cause you will need them often. I took my own toothbrush, toothpaste & floss but they provide you with everything you need.

The staff there was absolutely amazing. Everyone is so caring and professional. You'll be in excellent hands. Who is your surgeon?

My son had his surgeries there 8 and 9 years ago. And yes the rooms are small. Tiny! I can't comment on much else since he was in peds/children's hospital and everything is very different. We pretty much kept Gabe in the hospital gowns. Both because of staining and also accessibility. They can work around the wires and anything else you're connected to much easier with the gowns than other types of clothing.

I haven't been to Duke, but just a suggestion: Find out what their visitor policy is...especially in ICU. It really differs. Some places are open to family 24/7, and others limit it to immediate family in 15 minute intervals every 2 hours, only in the daytime.

I asked hubby about visitation schedule for ICU cause I don't remember being there at all. We waited all day for my surgery because there was 1 patient ahead of me. My surgery didn't start until after 2pm and took 5 hrs so it was late by the time he got to see me in ICU after surgery. He stayed a little bit as I was still out of it. He said no one said anything to him about how often he could come. When he saw me later, I was awake and the tube was out so he left for the evening. The next day when he arrived I was out of ICU in the step down unit.

I'm not sure about wireless internet but the staff was fine with us using cell phones in my room. We also brought a portable DVD player and I was glad. Cable tv only had a few channels so your hubby will probably be bored if he's counting on watching tv.

I had MVR surgery at Duke 8/93. The rooms are really small but my medical care was really good. I had a couple of nurses that I really liked and one I would probably have fired. I brought a little CD player but now would just bring my IPOD. You may be too groggy and unfocused to really read much or follow plots on TV shows but that usually clears up as you body slowly gets rid of all the drugs and anesthesia used in the peri-surgical period. They have a list of hotels that are close to the hospital and offer discounts. I hope everything goes well for you and your hubby.

I live in Pinehurst which is another beautiful little NC town.

My surgery was in St. Louis BJH. However, my daughter found a dr. Hey at Duke. She has scoliosis and had 2 previous surgeries. Mayo clinic turned her down but Hey said he could help. Most remarkable dr. I ever met. Before surgery he ask us to join hands and he lead us in prayer. He also led prayer after surgery thanking God for the success. He personally delivered her and her husband to his private plane and flew them home. He called a couple of hours after they were home to ask about the flight their comfort and what he could do to make things better for his patients. The staff was first class and always available. My daughter is no strait and 2 inches taller. If their heart surgeons are anything like Dr. Hey then it will be great.

My surgeon was Dr. Glower. He specializes in minimally invasive AVR and in my opinion he is the best doctor I've ever seen. Not only is he knowledgeable, he knows how to treat a person. He was always warm and compassionate and willing to answer any question. My husband and sister were with me before and after surgery and they liked him too. Everyone I saw at Duke was great. I really can't say enough about how wonderful the staff is at Duke.

I'm glad you found out there is wireless for your husband. I hope everything goes well for you.

Latest posts

Back