Anyone also have HepC?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yvonne

I was diagnosed about 4 or 5 years ago with hep C. The docs feel it's from a blood transfusion from my first OHS in 1969. I'm having my AVR next week (first time it was repaired) and I'm just wondering if anyone else who had AVR also had hep C? My docs don't think it will complicate things.

My dear Marfan friend, Patricia, had many heart and eye surgeries over her lifetime. She had acquired Hep C along the way. Hep C never seemed to interfere with her surgeries. (In the end, however, it was a hospital acquired skin infection that entered at the site of her last OHS that proved fatal.)

No, but my blood contains Hepatitis B antibodies.

Never recall having it and don't know where it came from?
It was discovered when they tested my blood in 91. I was donating 4 pints so I could take it to Houston if I needed blood during AVR. I though I was playing it safe. Back then there had been a problem with some of the blood banks being contaminated with AIDS. But it was wasted effort for I needed 21 units before it was over.

I had donated blood many times over the years but back then it wasn't tested. I was told to never donate blood again, of course I couldn't anyway from being on warfarin.

Latest posts

Back