any symptoms for bav/aneurysm reoperation?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrP

I'm interested to know if any of you who had surgery for bav and ascending aneurysm needed to have a reoperation for another aneurysm. What symptoms, if any, did you have before the second operation and how long after your first operation did you first start having symptoms and how long after your first operation did you have a second operation. It has been almost 23 months since my surgery for bav/ascending aneurysm, and for the past 4-5 months I've had more and more frequent sharp chest pain identical to symptoms I experienced for months prior to my first surgery. This chest pain is a sharp pain that usually is very intense on the order of seconds and less intense for longer periods of time....comes and goes. I was told two years ago this pain was most likely a result of the stretching of the aortic wall. FYI, don't want to cry wolf...but I've rescheduled my yearly checkup a month early and in two weeks time from this writing. I'm interested in hearing from others who have required reoperation, their sypmtoms, and experiences with reoperation. Thanks.

symptoms must be the same as the first time around

symptoms must be the same as the first time around

I guess the symptoms must be the same as the first time around. Need to wait for that CT scan and echo to know for sure what's going on.

Hang in there Preston, the weekends around here are notoriously slow. Responses will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, welcome to the site.

I know Arlys' hubby Jim has had 3 ops now for his BAV and Asc.Annie...
the last being only recently...
I have yet to hear how he is doing...I pray he is OK...She said she was going to post an update when she had time on the BAVD site.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I do not beleive their are any syspmtoms, its a silent killer. Sypmptoms start when the aorta dissects and from what I am told you will know it if it happens. From what I have read its possible to have additional anerysms but since you hsve a bav the majority of time is is constrained to aortic root/ascendign aorta. Good idea to stay on top of it though.

MIke

symptoms of ascending aneurysm

symptoms of ascending aneurysm

Mike,
While most folks with ascending aneurysms are asymptomatic, my pain prior to surgery in March 2004 for bav/ascending aneurysm included chest pain on my left side (sometimes sharp), upper back pain on left side, and an intermittent dry cough throughout each day. In my case, these symptoms all went away with surgery, although there was of course chest pain associated with the surgery that was distinctly different from what I experienced prior to surgery. Unfortunately, I've started experiencing sharp chest pain again in the past few months and am scheduled for CT scan soon. At any rate, ascending aortic aneurysm pain is well documented and attributed in many cases to pressure on surrounding organs and nerves. In addition, aneurysm pain represents stretching or irritation of the aortic adventitia, the adjacent chest wall or some other structure impinged by the expanding aneurysm. Symptomatic aneurysms need to be resected regardless of dimensions of the aneurysm, as the pain represents a pending rupture (see also Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm: Current Approach to Surgical Timing, Yale University, American College of Cardiology Journal May/Jun 2002, published by Elsevier Science Inc.).
Preston

Most of the stuff I've read indicates that thoracic aneurysms don't usually have symptoms. My husband seems to me to have more "coughing fits" that in the past, and for 3 yrs has had a feeling that something is hung in his throat. The cardio, PCP, and a surgeon have all discounted it when I asked if this could be associated with his ascending aortic aneurysm (5.3 cm).

This Thursday he's scheduled for a "modified barium swallow". A film will be involved. I'm not sure what they're looking for--they may just be humoring him. Then next month is his 6 mo CT scan to see if the aneurysm has grown. If it has they'll probably operate.

Hope I haven't hijacked this thread. I'm not sure I understand the rules.

preston said:
Mike,
While most folks with ascending aneurysms are asymptomatic, my pain prior to surgery in March 2004 for bav/ascending aneurysm included chest pain on my left side (sometimes sharp), upper back pain on left side, and an intermittent dry cough throughout each day.

The symptoms described above are exactly the same as what I have been experiencing. I have only been able to conclude that it must be the aneurysm causing it since my regurg(severe) and LVH have stayed fairly consistent from prior to the onset of symptoms. The doctor has discounted this though telling me that aneurysms don't cause symptoms.

I Had Pain Too

I Had Pain Too

and was told it was unrelated! Strange how it went away after the surgery. I do still rarely get sharp pains like that, but not for anything like the duration of the others. It used to wake me up when I slept on my left side. It was what helped me believe I needed the operation. I doubt this is any help, but at least you know someone else had pain related to the aneurysm repair. I sure hope you find out what the problem is, and that it's easier to remedy this time!

Pain and symptoms

Pain and symptoms

I had this weird intermittant fullness feeling in my chest........made me hop right off my bike at one point. Arlyss (sp?) told me her husband had something similar and that was the first hint I might have an aneurysm. I never had pain except for the panic attack I suffered the day before surgery. :) I have taken care of patients that DID have chest pain both constant and intermittant who had proven disecting aneurysms. BUT there are other reasons for that kind of pain like pericarditis, heartburn, MI, and panic attacks, etc. I'd request another CT of my aorta. That's what ruled out my pain and I felt MUCH better. :) Hope this helps.

I never had any symptoms that I remember from my bav or aneurism. 3 clogged arteries was causing my pains and they were in my neck and jaw. My aneurism was a 5.9? when they did the tests. They told me they caught it just in time. I had a Cabg with my other repairs..

Just want to say thanks to all of you. Next week I will have my 2nd annual CT scan and suite of tests since surgery. I am optimistic everything will check out OK. Per my cardiologist's nurse, my cardiologist doesn't believe the pain I am experiencing is a result of another aneurysm. We'll take a photo to make sure. As someone mentioned, there are many possible explanations for chest pain. My concern has been raised, mainly because the sharp, knife-like pain I have experienced on occassion over the past few months feels like it originates in my heart and is identical to what I experienced prior to surgery. I have to keep in mind that nerve endings were affected by surgery and recovery takes awhile. If this pain is a result of stretching of the aorta, dilation will progress slowly....doubt there'll be any noticeable difference from last year or the year before....only time will tell. I'm still interested to hear from anyone who may have developed a second aneurysm...time between first and second, growth rate, any info you can share.
Thanks again!
Preston

Hi Preston,
I recently asked the same question- Had anyone developed another aneurysm after repair. No one responded that they had. My surgeon told me to have a CT scan every two years to be sure that it doesn't come back. He said they have a nasty habit of coming back.
I know a man who had a abdominal aneurysm from an auto accident, his ruptured and he had a repair. It was quite awhile- ten or 15years after- he had a reoccurance. He didn't have any symptoms except hoarness in his voice. Good luck on your CT Scan.
Kathy H

Thanks Kathy. I have annual CT scans and echo tests since my surgery. And yes, the CT scan is recommended in order to look for new aneurysms which are not uncommon in BAV patients...even after valve repair. This is due to abnormalities of the aortic wall. I have a lot of anxiety surrounding the whole idea of another one developing.....BUT I know this sharp pain is not like that which I experience with anxiety. The sharp pain comes and goes every now and then and is not positional. I can be sitting, standing, laying down, or walking, in casual conversation and when not stressed at all....it is a knife-like pain lasting on the order of seconds. A few others apparently have experienced the same thing....and this in a strange way makes me feel better...I am not alone.
Thanks again. Preston

Latest posts

Back