anxious and just plain scared

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waking up with the breathing tube in sounds terrifying. I would be so tempted to pull it out.
That's what I was very worried about as I have a horror of choking. It was nothing like that because when I 'woke' up, like I said, I wasn't really with it, everything was dark because I was still, presumably, half asleep. I remember the nurse telling me something in a very strong voice but what it was I haven't a clue. They must have taken the tube out and I must have gone straight back to sleep. I was told beforehand in no uncertain terms that I would be awake because you have to be breathing well before they take the tube out, but I remember nothing about the tube. I was sooooo worried about it beforehand. But, am I glad I got a photo of me with the tube in or it would have seemed unreal now 'cos I have no memory of it. Maybe some hospitals give more of the amnesia meds than others ? I have an exceptionally good memory, almost photographic, so I know there is a gap in my memory - without the photo I would feel more disorientated than I actually do feel about having a memory gap !

Oh, you can't pull the tube out even if you wanted to because your body and arms are quite secure under the covers - I've seen what looks like straps coming out from under the covers on the photo of me. I wasn't aware of this, again the meds keep you feeling pretty out of it. Presumably they undo everything once the tube is out. Again, one hospital's protocol in this may be different from another's…..

Agian, I felt like I was suffocating (although I wasn't) and they had my wrists in loose restraints to prevent me from pulling it out. Not that I would have, because I was too scared to do anything rash. I was really happy when they removed it after about a half hour, but still asked the nurse if they would watch to make sure I kept breathing (which of course they do). I thought maybe if I fell asleep, I would "forget" to breathe. The key is to stay calm and know they are monitoring everything, including the oxygen in your blood. I remember trying to gesture to tell them stuff, but not being able to move my hands much. My husband says they were swabbing my mouth with water, but I don't remember that - at least until I woke up more and the tube came out.

When I first woke up, I looked at the clock first and thought "wow, that was pretty quick" because they were supposed to take me into surgery at 8:30am. Turns out I was delayed to the afternoon (on great amnesia drugs) and it was 11PM. They had been waiting for me to come out of anesthesia for about 4.5 hours. First thing they asked me to wiggle my toes and pull on their hands so they could verify I hadn't had a stroke.

My mouth was super dry for two days after that. Ice water was the best thing ever. :)

Ice water was the best thing ever. :)

Almost a month post-surgery and I still prefer ice cold water to any other beverage. I was a huge soda drinker before but now nothing seems quite as good as a tall glass of ice water. I need to buy some stock in Smartwater.

:)

Hi, Sunshine! I am Sunshine also! Not much younger than you, I had my first valve surgery 15 years ago. Now having another next week (see my post). You will be fine! Before I left the hospital those years ago, the doctor said to me "You must remember you are not an invalid. Get up, walk, keep as active as you can. Every day you will show improvement." And he was right! So hang in there...you will do great! Sue

Hi Sunshine,
There's a period of time after you find out that you need OHS/AVR in which being scared etc is real common. I know I was, and I bet most people here probably were! Its fear of the unknown. For me personally, after I spent alot of time researching this, had a few more tests, and understood from the doctors that my situation was not going to deteriorate between initial diagnosis to operation, I settled down a bit and focused on what I could do to prepare for the surgery. And for me, that was a big thing - I got into tip top shape, got lots of rest (after those first few sleepless nights!), lost a bunch of weight, started meditation, continued to eat very healthy etc etc. It made me feel like I was more in control of the situation and was doing something to contribute to a successful recovery - which it did! So hang in there...!! You'll do great.

it isn't so much the pain as it is the nausea ...i cannot handle that but what can i do about it anyhow. the waiting is driving me up the wall ,,wish it was now.

As for the nausea, just be careful what/how much you consume shortly after surgery. Go really slow in terms of anything (other than your drugs!). I was only in ICU for 12 hours, and it went ok, but I could barely even handle ice chips at first. I did end up throwing up while in ICU and it wasn't pleasant and involved a fair bit of pain...! As for things like breathing tubes, you never know - you may not even have them when you wake up - I didn't even have a breathing tube when I woke up.

And just remember that this is major stuff for all of us patients, but its a just a day in the office for the doctors - just some basic plumbing to fix!:)

Tony

Latest posts

Back