Anticoagulation causes tarnishing of sterling silver jewelry?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtread

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I just got a sales flyer from MedicAlert for various bracelets and such, and it says as the bottom:

"Sterling silver IDs are not recommended for diabetics or those taking anticoagulants (tarnishing may occur). Rhodium-coated products are recommended."

Not sure what diabetics take that would cause their skin to tarnish sterling silver jewelry, but we all know what the primary anticoagulant is for most folks; i.e., Warfarin.

Anybody notice that their sterling silver jewelry tarnishes now where it didn't before you went on Warfarin?

If Warfarin causes sterling silver to tarnish, I wonder what it does to your tender little brain cells and such?

I've had a sterling silver MedicAlert bracelet since my replacement over 17 years ago, and wear lots of silver jewelry (a st. silver cross and chain 24/7), and have never had tarnishing problems. This is all news to me.

I have had mine for several months and it looks new, but don't get it near a grill! I was cooking on the grill tonight and I guess I must have got to close to the rack and burned my arm! Like hott metal burn! It hurt but I applied ice and aloe and solorcaine I know to take it off from now on when cooking on the grill! LOL!

Doesn't silver .....................

Doesn't silver .....................

tarnish anyway--silverware, silver dishes and other items? Judging from the number of "silver polishes" on the market there is a lot of silver tarnishng occurring.

I've had silver rings tarnish and blacken my skin in the past but nothing I would blame anti-coagulation for though.

Maybe the flyer is promoting a "newer" product so they can discontinue silver bracelets.

tarnish anyway--silverware, silver dishes and other items? Judging from the number of "silver polishes" on the market there is a lot of silver tarnishng occurring.

I've had silver rings tarnish and blacken my skin in the past but nothing I would blame anti-coagulation for though.

Maybe the flyer is promoting a "newer" product so they can discontinue silver bracelets.

Precisely. That's why I keep a bottle of Tarn X around.

I love sterling silver -- flatware, that is. I have 2 sets. One set (International Prelude) has even demitasse spoons, cream soup spoons, butter plates, trays, etc. Never use it, but I enjoy picking up additional pieces.

I keep pieces in silvercloth to reduce tarnishing, but even then, it doesn't really tarnish very much. Not like SILVERPLATE does.

And, yes, as others have said, the tarnish removers work very well.

I found an explanation at wikipedia that may explain the reason for tarnishing on lesser-expensive silver items:

"As the purity of the silver decreases, the problem of corrosion or tarnishing increases.

Chemically, silver is not very reactive ? it does not react with oxygen or water at ordinary temperatures, so does not easily form a silver oxide. However, other metals in the alloy, usually copper, may react with oxygen in the air.

The black silver sulfide (Ag2S) is among the most insoluble salts in aqueous solution, a property that is exploited for separating silver ions from other positive ions.

Sodium chloride (NaCl) or common table salt is known to corrode silver-copper alloy, typically seen in silver salt shakers where corrosion appears around the holes in the top.

The Wikibook Do-It-Yourself has a page on the topic of
Polishing silver
Several products have been developed for the purpose of polishing silver that serve to remove sulfur from the metal without damaging or warping it. Because harsh polishing and buffing can permanently damage and devalue a piece of antique silver, valuable items are typically hand-polished to preserve the unique patinas of older pieces. Techniques such as wheel polishing, which are typically performed by professional jewelers or silver repair companies, are reserved for extreme tarnish or corrosion. See also Tarnish, Removal."

I love sterling silver -- flatware, that is. I have 2 sets. One set (International Prelude) has even demitasse spoons, cream soup spoons, butter plates, trays, etc. Never use it, but I enjoy picking up additional pieces.

I keep pieces in silvercloth to reduce tarnishing, but even then, it doesn't really tarnish very much. Not like SILVERPLATE does.

And, yes, as others have said, the tarnish removers work very well.

I found an explanation at wikipedia that may explain the reason for tarnishing on lesser-expensive silver items:

"As the purity of the silver decreases, the problem of corrosion or tarnishing increases.

Chemically, silver is not very reactive ? it does not react with oxygen or water at ordinary temperatures, so does not easily form a silver oxide. However, other metals in the alloy, usually copper, may react with oxygen in the air.

The black silver sulfide (Ag2S) is among the most insoluble salts in aqueous solution, a property that is exploited for separating silver ions from other positive ions.

Sodium chloride (NaCl) or common table salt is known to corrode silver-copper alloy, typically seen in silver salt shakers where corrosion appears around the holes in the top.

The Wikibook Do-It-Yourself has a page on the topic of
Polishing silver
Several products have been developed for the purpose of polishing silver that serve to remove sulfur from the metal without damaging or warping it. Because harsh polishing and buffing can permanently damage and devalue a piece of antique silver, valuable items are typically hand-polished to preserve the unique patinas of older pieces. Techniques such as wheel polishing, which are typically performed by professional jewelers or silver repair companies, are reserved for extreme tarnish or corrosion. See also Tarnish, Removal."
Thanks Marsha for your most interesting post.;)

Medic Alert bracelets.....I've been wearing my silver one for over 3 years.... 24/7. It is still perfect.
Here in Canada it was specified that they have a protective coating on the silver bracelets, which must be working because silver used to tarnish on me after a while.
Maybe the bracelets are now being made more "economically" and the risk of tarnishing will increase?
Also, I wouldn't think it's necessary to remove your bracelet while BBQing.....just try to have long handled tongs nearby.
:) :) Throw Ross a pork chop.

Be careful of Tarnex and other liquid silver cleaners. They will remove the black detailing on many fine silver and plate pieces. It can also leave a film on the silver. Then you have to repolish them anyway with cream polish.

You can add back the black detailing, but it a long process.

Better to use a good silver cream polish from the get go.

I sell vintage and antique silver items online, and get into polishing a LOT.

Other things that will tarnish your silver are bleach and eggs.

Be careful of Tarnex and other liquid silver cleaners. They will remove the black detailing on many fine silver and plate pieces. It can also leave a film on the silver. Then you have to repolish them anyway with cream polish.

You can add back the black detailing, but it a long process.

Better to use a good silver cream polish from the get go.

I sell vintage and antique silver items online, and get into polishing a LOT.

Other things that will tarnish your silver are bleach and eggs.

The patina on older sterling is lovely. I have admired many pieces of older sterling patterns for that reason.

Latest posts

Back