Another newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JohnB

So glad I found this site, you are a wonderful group of people, and the information and opinions invaluable, if a little overwhelming at first.

I am 52, following a general check-up GP sent me to cardiologist due to family history and possible murmur. He had me do a stress test - failed. Then left heart catheterization, found moderate aortic insufficiency, prescribed Norvasc. During follow up a 2 weeks later he decided to send me to a heart surgeon just to discuss future options. Surgeon was more concerned with possible ascending aorta dillation, sent me for a cat scan. Cat scan showed a 4.9cm aneurysm. Both problems just under normal surgery limits, however surgeon believed combination warranted very serious consideration. He sent me to a surgeon in Houston, 90 miles to the west, for 2nd opinion and better facilities. In Houston I saw Prof. Safi, he operates at Hermann, if anyone has experience of either I would appreciate opinions. They told me I should have surgery sooner rather than later, currently considering mid-December.

Having great difficulty deciding on valve type, but obviously I am not alone there, and will keep reading through threads and links.
I feel in good health, out of breath at times, but not too bad. I am really scared, but reading these forums help, thank you all for that.

John

Hi John - Welcome to the site. You're right, this is a great place to come for info and support. I cannot help with your specific questions, but be aware that the Texas Heart Institute is one of the leading hospitals when it comes to heart surgery. You want a surgeon that does lots of these, and has a known track record. You can find out his track record by asking - there is a web site I beleive- try www.healthgrades.com . I have a mechanical aortic valve, installed in April and I'm doing fine. We have several members who have had aneurysms and I'm sure you'll hear from them shortly. If you have specific questions, or concerns, please ask. There are a lot of posts on the site, and it will take awhile to absorb it all, but think you'll find it worthwhile. You are a young man, so I'm guessing you'll do just fine. Chris

Welcome

Welcome

Hi John,
I too, want to welcome you to this Great Place. Like Chris said, you have come to the right place for info and support. Iam 52 and had surgery in April also. I had a 6cm ascending aortic aneurysm which was repaired with a hemoshield dacron graft and also had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude Mechanical 27mm valve. I chose the mechanical valve because I didn't want to go through another surgery. The coumadin thing is really no big deal so far. I am a firefighter and will find out the end of Oct. if I get to go back to work. Sorry I can't help you with your questions but there are some that are from Texas and will be posting soon. I hope everything turns out OK for you.
Take Care

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

Hi John

Welcome,

Read past posts and you will come to the right decision for YOU

many others will be along and they will offer you help and advice,

Our members have lots of experience in Heart matters.

Remember we are all here for you, and we care

keep smiling

Jan

Welcome to this wonderful site. I cannot tell you what a godsend it has been for me. Everyone here understands about being scared and they are so good to help you work through all the different emotions that you are dealing with.

I am so glad that you are still feeling good, and we will all keep our fingers cross that you will continue.

We are glad you are here, and remember you are not taking this journey alone.

Carla

Hello John-

Welcome to the site. Sorry you're having these problems to face, but you know what? Isn't it terrific that your problems have been discovered and are going to be fixed? You'll feel like a new man, and you won't have those terrible problems hanging over your head anymore. It is especially good, in light of the aneurysm that was found. Sometimes they are never found, and bad things can happen. So looking at the brighter side, you're a lucky man, a scared man for sure, but very lucky.

Stick with us here and you will have lots of help in preparation. There are so many people with different experiences, there's bound to be someone who can answer about any question you can ask.

By the way here are two links to the Texas Heart Institute. They have a wonderful website, full of valuable information.

This is the home page

http://www.tmc.edu/thi/index.html

This is lots of information about valve problems and solutions:

http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4579

Read as much here as you can handle, it's a little hard at first, but as you read on, things will start to fall into place and you will be more relaxed about it. Remember knowledge is power.

My husband has had 3 valve surgeries, has a pacemaker, and has had 2 lung surgeries. He had rheumatic fever.

Hi John,

Welcome to our VR.com family. You'll be amazed at all the info you can find here. Most of these wonderful people on this forum have been where you are today. A lot of decisions to be made before the actual surgery. It can get nerve wrecking and quite stressfull.
I was 53 when I found out I needed open heart surgery for Aortic Stenosis. At that time I had no idea what that was. I really had to educate myself about everything that was about to happen, but the more I knew the less I feared.
This forum will help you so much. A great group of people who truly care about other human beings. They have been there, and done that!
My surgery was more than three years ago now, and due to circumstances not my doing I went through two AVR surgeries within 11 days. Not a good thing, but I did fine. Read my story (personals) when you have time.
I have a mechanical valve (St. Jude's) and this little piece of metal saved my life. I have no problem with it. I can barely hear it, only when I am in a room with no other noises, and when I lay on my left side. Even then it is very faint.
Deciding on a valve was not difficult for me, because my surgeon did it for me. He explained that "you don't want these surgeries too often, especially not when you are older". I agreed with his, and have not been sorry about getting the mechanical valve. It works, because I am still here and doing very well. I do whatever I want to do and have no restrictions.
I am taking Coumadin (blood thinner) and it has caused no problems so far. I home test with the Protime and don't go to a lab. I call the INR numbers in to my doctors office once a month, and they call me back letting me know if I should stay on the same dosage, or to make a change. I just make him think that he has some say in this matter, but I regulate the Coumadin myself. I test once a week just to be safe. There are times when I test more often. It all depends on the numbers.
I eat what I want, and regulate the Coumadin 'around' my diet, and not the other way around. Many people avoid the greens (vitamin K) but I believe that we need those healthy greens to get all the healthy nutrients in our diet.
Come back often and ask away. Someone will come around and answer all your questions.

Hope I have helped, and wishing you the best.

Welcome, John.....

You've found the right place for your questions and answers. My husband, Tyce, was 59 when he had AVR a year ago this past June. He went with the mechanical valve only because he said he never wanted to undergo this type of surgery again. (Hopefully, he won't have to.) We haven't looked back since. He's very happy with the valve and does all the things he did prior to surgery.

I'm sure over the course of your presurgery time, you'll have lots and lots of questions. Please don't hesitate to ask, you'll definitely get lots of answers. I do agree with Chris, though, I think heart centers are the way to go.

Evelyn

Welcome aboard John.

What concerns me is the size of that aneurysm. It could remain like it is through December or it could grow and rupture with little to no warning whatsoever, which is what happened to John Ritter and to myself. I'm one of the few that made it through a rupture. I can tell you that you do not want to wait with this thing inside of you. Get it taken care of as soon as possible. Most definately do not do anything strenuous until your fixed up.

Valve choice is a personal thing, but no matter what you choose, it will be the right decision. Personally, I'd recommend mechanical because I've been through 2 surgeries now and wouldn't want to do it again if it can be helped.

The scared feeling you have...We all did! It's perfectly normal to be afraid, but along with that fear remember that many have gone before you and we are here to tell you life isn't over with the surgery. It's only really beginning anew.

Feel free to read around about valve choices and ask questions. We are here to help with everything that can come to your mind.

Hi John - Just checking back in. In the last 2 plus hours, you've gotten eight posts. When the word newbie appears on the menu, its like the Strategic Air Command is scrambling !! I love it. Glad your getting great service. Keep tuned - more to come.

Welcome John,

This site will more than likely be a place you gravitate to over and over in the next few months. Start researching and become as expert as you can possibly become in your own case. Start requesting copies of tests, labs, and consultations as you go along. Study them and learn what they represent. You will be better prepared because of it.

Oh, don't feel odd.....there isn't anyone of us who walked into this thing without shaky knees.

Just be real careful to get this handled before any irrepairable damage is done to your heart. There is probably almost every type of valve represented on this board. I have a St. Jude Mechanical in the mitral position. I am 55 and don't want to face another valve surgery in my later years if I can avoid it. Of course that means coumadin for the rest of my life or at least until a new drug is approved that replaces it .....and that is a real possibility down the road.

So please make yourself and home and join in with the rest of the family. We go through things together around here.

Hi John, Welcome . I am also pretty new to this site. There is so much you can learn from the different members. I have a 4.7 asending aneurysm and mod-severe aortic valve regurg. My Doctor cardiologist is just watching things right now. I found out I had all these problems and diabetes within the last yearwhen I turned 48. I started lisinopril and atenolol and had to stop doing resistance exercises and was told not to lift more than 25 lbs. I have another echo next month and will go from there. I really am just starting to have some symptoms, slight shortness of breathe when I am rushing and then go up a couple flights of stairs and a cough- which I think? is related to valve problem. Good Luck and keep us posted.
KathyH

Wow, go out for a few hours and just how many replies!! Thank you all, I feel better about things already!

As Nancy and others said I am very lucky to have found out about my condition, must try and stay positive. Actually saw my GP this morning, could not thank her enough for sending me to a cardiologist (she though she heard a "click"), we had a hug when I left.

My surgeon was inclined towards a mechanical valve, as was I, just to try and avoid a possible 2nd surgery. My GP told me she was a little afraid of her very old patients on coumadin falling over, or forgetting their medication, and she wants me to be one of her older patients. Also she thought that if I did get a porcine valve there was every likelyhood of there being a much more advanced alternative by the time a 2nd surgery was needed. But she agreed they may also be a coumadin alternative in years to come. Food for thought, still thinking mechanical, just. Sadly I do like a beer or 2, but no more, and a glass of red wine.

The main reason for waiting until mid December is family. My daughter, 21, graduates (from UNT) mid December. I could go to graduation, then she could come home to support my wife, and my son, 16, will be off school.

Chris, I did check healthgrades.com, my hospital didn't come out too good. However reading the small print the stats cover patients 65 and older, and I guess there may be other circumstances, I will try more research.

Thank you again for all your messages, help and support, I feel sure I can be around long enough to try and do the same in the future.

John

John you can have your 2 beers and glass of wine. That isn't a no no. What is a no no is if your an alcoholic or consume massive amounts of alcohol. There are many here that drink wine and beer with no trouble. The key to all of it is consistency-See now you have an excuse to drink a little everyday.:D

May I suggest a little trip over to Mr. Lodwicks site for some more reading?

http://www.warfarinfo.com/warfarinfo.com2.htm
http://www.warfarinfo.com/alcohol.htm
http://www.warfarinfo.com/newspage.htm

Thanks Ross,

Now all I need is for my daughter to buy me one! She has been promising to since she turned 21 in May.

John

Hi John, and welcome to The Waiting Room.

You've already met many of the folks here at VR.com, and you have received some valuable advice. I think you have also received from your doctors the most valuable information -- the fact that you have a condition that is serious enough to need to be watched. Forewarned is Forearmed! Stay with us, keep a close watch, and learn along with us.

Welcome, Mr & Mrs John - y'all just c ome on in and sit awhile. We always want company. You will find all you need in information here, from day one right on. Ann

hi john!
welcome to this site. as you can already see, everyone here is friendly, informative, and extrememly supportive.
there have been several threads lately on "making the choice" of valve. try and read some of those and i think they may help.
from what i understand, coumadin takers don't seem to think of it as a big deal (my dad has a st. jude's mechanical AND hates needles, but doesn't mind the testing). it's the non-coumadin-ers who seem to shy away from it.
it's a very personal thing_ valve choice_ but either way you win.
i wish you all the best in your decision and please be sure to keep us posted.
be well, sylvia

Hello & welcome!
This site saved me from becoming completely catatonic when I found out what you just did. A slight murmur picked up on a routine exam. Cardio followed along with all the tests. Cath showed an aneursym 5.0 with aortic valve regurgitation. I believe I was slightly paralyzed with fear going into the surgery because my Husband said I didn't look frightened at all! Little did he know!
Anyhow, it's been 3 years with a Medtronic-Hall mechanical valve and a dacron patch. Mechanical because I certainly didn't want to go thru that again!! I'm 59 now and the Coumadin isn't an issue that significantly affects my lifestyle.
These are really special people here and are always willing to answer questions you might have no matter how insignificant you might think they are. Good luck with everything. We are all living proof that it isn't the end of the world! :D

Cookie,
so pleased to hear you are doing well. Sounds like you had similar test results as me. Did you feel ok (apart from the scare!), any symptoms? How long between cath and surgery?

Thanks for the info, and stay well.

John

Back