Another newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,
In answer to your question of symptoms, I too had shortness of breath sometimes but no symptoms pertaining to any major heart problem. As you were, I was totally in shock. I had had previous treadmills etc and always passed! I was monitored for 6 months because my daughter was getting married and I couldn't miss the wedding! A gamble, I knew, but no other choice. The heart cath was done about 4 months pryor to surgery and then I had to change surgeons and another cath was done a couple weeks pryor to surgery. Daughter was married May 20 and I had surgery June 6, 2000. I believe 5 cm is the optimum time to do surgery without doing any further damage to the heart.
Believe me when I say if you are not scared you are abnormal! My cardio kept saying this was a "BIG" surgery!! Really helped and that it was a rare surgery! After finding this site while doing some research, I found out it wasn't so "rare". BIG, yes, scary,yes! You are young which my surgeaon said always works in your favor. Another reason I opted for a mechanical valve. Any other choice would have made me a lot older and the surgery more risky. These, of course, are all very personal decisions that you have to make. Which ever way you decide to go, it will be the right decision for you. Just keep yourself informed and knowledgeable and praying never hurts! :D

Bienvenidos....

Bienvenidos....

Welcome John from another Texan. I'm near San Antonio and could help you with medical teams/hospitals there, but another member DickV lives in Houston and has had surgery there... So why don't you send ol' Dick a PM or e-mail and wake him up! He's about your age too.

I ended up in ER unable to breathe -- had no history of heart problems. I had two days between cath and surgery. Got a [aortic] mechanical and that was in 1999.

Ya know, this 'big kahuna' stuff really hits folks in their '50's....and not to worry about a couple of beers -- no big deal.

Latest posts

Back