Another Newbie Introduction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockey Heart

Hello Everyone.

I have been lurking on here a little while reading all your fabulous and inspiring stories. I have already gained so much insight and valuable knowledge from all of you regarding my condition.

I am a 36 year old male from the Chicago Area. I was diagnosed at birth with a BAV. I have never had any symptoms and, in fact, I played sports my entire life and even played professional hockey for 4 years in the minor leagues following college. This past September, I went for my routine Eccho and was told by my Cardiologist that the Aortic Root was beginning to become more dilated and I would likely need the valve replaced in around 2 years. This was quite the shock for me and my family. I knew that I would likely one day need it replaced but always assumed that this would not be necessary until my 50s or 60s. In December, I got really sick and it was discovered that I had Endocarditis (a bacterial infection) of the BAV. I am finally over that and the valve actually was not affected. However, I still need the replacement surgery in approximately 2 years. I guess that makes me a part of the Waiting Room here.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you. I will continue to read your thoughts and insight and I will be asking some questions from time to time. I am so happy that there is a forum like this for all of us.

- Hockey Heart

Hi and thanks for introducing yourself! I had my BAV replaced almost six years ago, and I have a son and grandson with BAVs. There are new developments in valve replacement ocuring on a steady basis, so hopefully by the time you face replacement, the surgery will be easier.

Welcome, aboard HH

Welcome, aboard HH

HH, welcome to the VR community. Let me start by observing that it is also disturbing at the age of 59 to hear that the valve replacement that was always in the distant future needs to be done soon. Somehow, we live comfortably as long as surgery is a far off possibility. When one's doctors start talking about it in the near future, it becomes a reality instead of a probability. It alters the image we have of ourselves in a fashion that can be disturbing and one of the best ways to deal with that is to talk about it with people who can appreciate how you feel; Us for a start.

We seem to have developed a sort of mantra for new members, HH, that goes something like this.

1. Be informed so you have a good idea of the state of your health and part of the way you do this is to start keeping copies of your test results such as those for your echo-cardiograms.
2. Begin to consider your options but try not to get too anxious about making choices. When the time comes, your surgeon will help you make the decisions that are best for you and your life style based on your preferences and his experience.
3. Stay as healthy as you can so that by the time surgery is looming near you will have the best chance for an excellent recovery.
4. Let us know how we can be of help. We can't answer every question, nor should we, but we can share our own experiences.
5. Don't let the likelihood of surgery inter fer with your life. You will deal with surgery when it is time and it will probably be a better experience than you currently expect. If you find that it is bothering you a lot, then do something about it; speak with your doctor.

I feel certain that some of your other companions here in VR will add to the list but that is my 2 cents worth. Welcome aboard.

Larry

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and the warm welcome. I am grateful to be going through this process with all of you by my side.

Back