Another Canadian having AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsidster

Hello all ---I am a 60 year old Canadian who has been told that I need my Aortic valve replaced and a double bypass.I had a suposed heart attack back when I was 51 years old.Spent a week in the hospital and all kinds of tests done and left unsure if i had a heart attack or not.Some tests were positive and others negative.At 57 I began to have what i thought was gas pain in my chest because when i would burp,it would subside.Went for stress test again and ecocardiogram and nothing came of it.This gas pain continued and got more frequent and worse by the time I was 60.More test and this time i failed the stress test and they sent me for echocardiogram again.This time
the person reading echo says that someone misread the 2007 echo and missed the Aortic valve narrowing.I was now sent for an Angiogram on October 18 our 41st wedding anniversary.Bad news---AVR and double bypass.Awaiting the call to consult with the doctors at LONDON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL in LONDON ONTARIO.Have requested the same surgeon that my sister-in-law had 5 weeks ago.This sergeon is a women and did an excellent job .Have decided to go with nthe On-x if this doctor has used them .If not then the St Jude because she is very familiar with these.Hoping for a call this week to have the pre surgery meeting and set a date.The sooner the better.This forum has been just great for information ''from the horses mouth'' and has put me at ease.Good thing because I was biting my nails and was down to the first knukles.Will keep you posted when my date is set.Thanks so much for a great forum.

Hello all ---I am a 60 year old Canadian who has been told that I need my Aortic valve replaced and a double bypass.I had a suposed heart attack back when I was 51 years old.Spent a week in the hospital and all kinds of tests done and left unsure if i had a heart attack or not.Some tests were positive and others negative.At 57 I began to have what i thought was gas pain in my chest because when i would burp,it would subside.Went for stress test again and ecocardiogram and nothing came of it.This gas pain continued and got more frequent and worse by the time I was 60.More test and this time i failed the stress test and they sent me for echocardiogram again.This time
the person reading echo says that someone misread the 2007 echo and missed the Aortic valve narrowing.I was now sent for an Angiogram on October 18 our 41st wedding anniversary.Bad news---AVR and double bypass.Awaiting the call to consult with the doctors at LONDON UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL in LONDON ONTARIO.Have requested the same surgeon that my sister-in-law had 5 weeks ago.This sergeon is a women and did an excellent job .Have decided to go with nthe On-x if this doctor has used them .If not then the St Jude because she is very familiar with these.Hoping for a call this week to have the pre surgery meeting and set a date.The sooner the better.This forum has been just great for information ''from the horses mouth'' and has put me at ease.Good thing because I was biting my nails and was down to the first knukles.Will keep you posted when my date is set.Thanks so much for a great forum.

WELCOME TO THE OHS FAMILY

THE 2007 read was done at Hôtel-Dieu Grace Hospital or elsewhere ?

My mitral Valve looked like it needed tp be replaced but during surgery i turned out to be only in need of a Mitral Ring Repair

Are you refering to London Health Sciences as that is where my ICD was implanted

Last edited:
We have been where you are now and know how you feel.My surgeon asked me if I was scared at our first meeting I said "Heck yea" (or something like that)lol. He said if I wasnt there would be something wrong with me. This is a doable surgery.It is not pleasant but, not as bad as you think.You will feel alot better when it is all said and done.Take a deep breath-it will be ok!

GREG A----No, the first echo read was not done at Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital and Yes it will be the London Health Sciences.I read your story and my God you have been run through the mill.I am glad you made it.Now it is the waiting that is driving me nuts.

Latest posts

Back