Another 30-something

• Thread starter Bionic Valve Tim
  • Start date
Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bionic Valve Tim

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks, and since I now have a surgery date, I figured I would say hello and talk about my valve choice, since a few other 30-somethings have been posting about similar dilemmas. Please excuse my wordiness ;)

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve which was discovered during a physical in high school. They sent me to a great Cardiologist (Dr. Levene in the Denver area) and did an echo; Dr. Levene told me that someday I'd probably need a replacement. Being 18, I said "ok, whatever" and largely forgot about it.

This summer I went to a cardio for the first time in several years--so long ago(and so far in the recesses of my brain!), that I couldn't remember who my cardio was, so I just went to a new one. Dr. Licht ordered a stress test and an echo. Moments after the stress test began, he commented that I was really out of shape--my heart rate had skyrocketed. I thought this was odd. I knew I was out of shape by my standards, but I'm a fairly active guy, playing recreational hockey, coaching wrestling, and generally keeping busy.

An hour or so later, as I was getting my echo, the tech called Dr. Licht in, and he said "Wow, that's impressive!" He then said the stress test made a lot of sense--my valve was leaking like a sieve and it was time to replace it.

I asked how urgent it was and he said that it wasn't an emergency, but I wouldn't want to waste time. He groaned when I mentioned that I was getting married in about 3 weeks, and then going to Jamaica for my honeymoon. The tech also noticed that I was 3 days shy of my 31st birthday--a birthday I won't soon forget!

Well, the honeymoon had to get rescheduled (don't get me started on my battle against the penalty fees!) and on Friday I met with Dr. Pang, the surgeon Dr. Licht had recommended to me. Armed with what I had learned from this site, I was able to ask some reasonably intelligent questions and I really feel great about Dr. Pang. In fact, I feel relieved at finally having a date: Oct 12th (two days after my wedding).

Dr. Pang's valve of choice is the ON-X valve. It was the one that drew my attention originally, and I was glad to hear him speak so highly of it. He doesn't tons of VRs, and he said it has been his first choice since it was approved.

In the time between the surgeon and the cardio, I was fairly conflicted about valve selection--I didn't relish the idea of Coumadin. The notion that Coumadin may be replaced/improved sometime in my lifetime wasn't a factor in the decision, but it would be a nice bonus. As it is, I've decided that there are worse fates in life than Coumadin. All of the doctors I've talked to have strongly recommended a mech. valve, so that's good enough for me!

Incidentally, my symptoms have been subtle, but make a lot of sense in retrospect. A few years back I started treatment for depression, for which my primary (but not only) symptom was fatigue. I've steadily gained a lot of weight as my fatigue made me more and more sedentary. This summer, I really busted my butt to get in shape and lose weight for the wedding, but I found myself unable to jog around the block at more than a snail's pace. I told myself that I was getting older (30!) and that I must've let myself get more out-of-shape than I thought.

The doctor seemed pretty surprised that I wasn't sick, given my echo results. He was impressed that I'd only come in for a "routine" check-up!

Thank you to everyone who posts to this site--the wealth of information has made this much easier to deal with. I'll be reading the site as I can, but with the wedding this weekend, I don't know that I'll be posting much. I will be sure to report on my surgery and my new bionic valve when I get home.

Thanks,
Tim

Congratulations on the wedding and the choice of valve. I'm sure you will do fine and just think how much nicer that honeymoon will be with no surgery hanging over your head! We look forward to hearing all good news! :)

Glad you found this site and best wishes on your marriage and surgery!

Welcome Tim and congratulations on your upcoming wedding and on feeling good about your valve choice. I became a "mechanical woman" when I was 32 and haven't regretted it once in the last 13 years. Oh, I can get a little hissy over having heart issues, but the mech valve has never been an issue in my mind.

Encourage your wife-to-be to post here as well if she feels she needs some moral support. We have many significant others that can give her words of wisdom. Not to mention the fact that we are just really a fun group of people. :D There's something about life changing experiences that make you appreciate the little things.

I'm also wondering if your valve issue was contributing to your depression. It wouldn't surprise me if it magnified it's effect. Bad valves can have that component. I would also be willing to bet that your fatigue is due mostly to your cruddy valve.

Once you have your surgery and recover, you will be surprised at how much better you feel and will begin realizing how your body had adapted to you valve problem so that you didn't notice the subtle changes.

Best wishes!

Tim,

Thats an interesting story, I found out about my murmur for the first time the day before my 32nd birthday. But I had so much to do with work that I didnt think about it went off to a conference in California two weeks later ( If I had got it checked I might not have gone and hiked in Yosemite and seen the sequoias which was an incredible experience ). I too have felt fatigued and not myself over the course of a few years but never understood why.

Congratulations on the marriage :)

Hope you have a sucessful surgery. Not long before I join you...

Best,
Burair.

Hi Tim!

Sounds like you won't be here in The Waiting Room very long. . .but for the best reason. Your symptoms and test results indicate to me (NOT a medical prefessional) that you are getting the right advice about getting it fixed sooner rather than later. Especially if you're just beginning a married life -- we want to be sure you have the best chance to make that a LONG and happy married life!

I'm just waiting around for some time, until my valve is ready to go, so I'm one of the "attendants" of the virtual waiting room. You will, I'm sure, get some of the best advice anywhere here at vr.com, and will come through the process with a large number of good friends as well.

Luck be with you!

Thanks all

Thanks all

Four days until the wedding and six until the surgery. Just wanted to thank everyone for the congratulations and encouragment. I'll drop by post-op and let you guys know how the ON-X is treating me ;)

Tim

Wow Tim...you'll have a great "honeymoon" story to tell your grandkids someday. Make sure you can walk up 2 flights of stairs (after your surgery) before you go on your real honeymoon. ;) Good luck with your surgery and welcome to the VR family. I hope your new bride will keep us posted on how you're doing after your surgery.

Hi Tim, Welcome to VR. Sorry to hear you have to delay your honeymoon, but most of us find that the waiting to have the surgery is the worst part of having it. At least you won't have to wait long to get it over with.
You say you just feel fatigued and you know you are alittle out of shape, but you may be surprised at how much better you will feel after your surgery. I Just passed my 6 month anniversary for my AVR and I can't believe how much better I feel. I can exercise and feel good and have the extra energy. Even my hubby told me the other day, he can't believe how much better I am. It's easy to blame things on getting older, getting fatter ect.
Good Luck with your upcoming surgery and congratulation and Best Wishes on your wedding.
Kathy H.

Glad to hear you're through the ordeal of picking, and ready to get the surgery over with. It all goes faster than you think, once you're there.

Consider asking the surgeon about a Fentanyl patient-controlled unit for pain management, instead of the default morphine, if it's appropriate for you. I think I fared much better on it than I would have on the morphine, even though they're related compounds.

Best wishes for a quick recovery with no hassles,

Welcome to our wonderful site, Tim. I too was a 30 something (33) when I had mine done. I heard all the "You're too young for surgery" comments as I'm sure you're hearing now, but I'm really glad I had such an astute ob/gyn who referred me to the cardio. I was pretty asymptomatic, but the echos showed my valve to be in very poor shape. Sounds like you're very well prepared in terms of surgeons, so the next step is actually doing it. We'll all be here to support you as you go through the process. Take care.

All the best Tim.
It's probably a good idea that you've delayed the honeymoon, or you may have found yourself worrying and thinking about the operation constantly. Now you've got something to look forward to! I had my AVR (Ross Procedure) last year at the age of 31 and it was better than I anticipated.
Hope all goes well for you.

Hi Tim. Great user name. I'm not a candidate for surgery yet but definitely experience the fatigue and attribute it to "getting older". I also busted my butt to get into shape for my wedding ... wasn't as easy as it used to be.

It's good that you are waiting. Your honeymoon will be celebration of lots of things. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back