Aneurysm or Aneurysmal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.J.
My son first noticed a weird feeling in his chest when he was snowboarding. As this was a new sport for him he attributed it to altitude, fatigue, etc. A few weeks later he was at the motocross track and had to stop riding because the pain was severe, it lasted for about 20 minutes. Over the next 2 months the pain got progressively worse and got to the point where he could not exert himself beyond normal daily activities. He was able to walk, do his chores, go to school, etc., but that was all. After the doctors told him it was all in his head he tried to go riding. His aorta dissected and he had a massive MI.
This is why I am in the better safe than sorry camp. On the other hand, I have had plenty of chest pain and weird heart beats since my son got out of the hospital. I have had an echo and CT to rule out having what my son had and I attribute it mostly to stress. Pain is not necessarily due to an aneurysm, but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Acute Aortic Syndrome

Acute Aortic Syndrome

There is a term for chest pain associated with the aorta. It is called "Acute Aortic Syndome" or AAS. The term for chest pain associated with the heart is called "Acute Cardiac Syndrome" or ACS.

Emergency rooms are well acquainted with ACS, and that knowledged has saved many heart attack victims.

We need to raise that awareness regarding AAS also.

Here is a link regarding AAS

http://www.bicuspidfoundation.com/Acute_Aortic_Syndrome__AAS_.html

Best wishes,
Arlyss

MrP said:
Ruth, et al, here's a url link to a reference textbook for cardiologists and surgeons that you and others may find useful.

http://cardiacsurgery.ctsnetbooks.org/cgi/content/full/2/2003/1123?ck=nck#INDICATIONS_FOR_OPERATION

Interestingly, chapter 46 provides an excellent source of information for all of us and others with dilation of the ascending aorta. In addition, many excellent references are provided at the end of this chapter.

Keep in mind the aortic diameter is smaller in women than in men, as pointed out in an earlier post I think by tobagotwo. I believe one of the references at the end of chapter 46 cites a study that showed this and a correlation between aortic diameter, body surface area (not height and weight), and gender.

There's also some discussion of symptoms that are consistent with earlier postings in this thread, including ptoddy's.

Hope this is helpful, as well as the Yale study article.

Hi....Iv been reading this great thread with interest and also the link from MrP. I feel completely out of my debt here but Id like to ask a question... (at the risk of appearing stupid ).....here goes...gulp!!

In this article it says ''MITRAL VALVE DISEASE IS FREQUENTLY ENCOUNTERED IN PATIENTS WITH AORTIC ANEURYSMS''......my question is this: If mitral valve disease is frequently found in people with aortic aneurysms, are aortic aneurysms frequently found in people with mitral valve disease ? I suppose its the old which comes first the chicken or the egg question ????

Some more thoughts...

As far as general discussions about aortic aneurysms, we should be cautious about what we post. The most common aortic anerysms are in the abdominal (descending) aorta and its branches, rather than thoracic (aortic root, ascending aorta, aortic arch) aorta. There are enough differences in the nature, immediacy of danger, and causations for these two general types of aortic aneurysms, that we should be sure we are reporting information about the correct type. This discussion is clearly aimed toward the thoracic aortic aneurysms. Note that there are more web site "hits" about abdominal aneurysms than thoracic aneurysms.

No that there shouldn't be a thread about abdominal aneurysms as well. They affect enough members of our site that it would certainly be a worthwhile topic on its own.

Of course people can feel pain and referred pain from parts of the heart. While most people's hearts are not rampant with pain cells, there are variations among people, and certainly enough close-by pain nerve cells (including in the aorta) to make up for the paucity of feeling in the heart's center. I could feel the catheter bumping around in my heart during my angiogram. Why on earth would I be unable to feel other heart pain, directly or referred? (Referred pain means pain that seems to be coming from somewhere else in the body than its real origin. In heart pain, it may seem to come from the back or the jaw.)

Saying we can't is reminiscent of the days when cruelty to animals was brushed away with, "they can't feel it." Not that you can do everything you need to do in life or farming without causing some pain, but you should at least have the humanity to acknowledge it and do what you can to minimize it. I heartily invite anyone who says that bulls don't feel the castration process to undergo the same procedure themselves and tell us all first-hand how it went.

Skin surface area, as mentioned by Mr. P and in my earlier posting, is the formula most often used for calculating needed valve size and many other heart stress calculations. Yes, more often than weight and height. Note that weight (fat) gain does eventually increase skin area, although weight gain strictly from turning fat to muscle generally does not.

The only tests I have found mentioned are the MRI, CAT scan, and echo. You've had a CAT scan. Perhaps an MRI (MRA) would show it better or differently.

Best wishes,

EireCara said:
Hi....Iv been reading this great thread with interest and also the link from MrP. I feel completely out of my debt here but Id like to ask a question... (at the risk of appearing stupid ).....here goes...gulp!!

In this article it says ''MITRAL VALVE DISEASE IS FREQUENTLY ENCOUNTERED IN PATIENTS WITH AORTIC ANEURYSMS''......my question is this: If mitral valve disease is frequently found in people with aortic aneurysms, are aortic aneurysms frequently found in people with mitral valve disease ? I suppose its the old which comes first the chicken or the egg question ????

Hi Jacqui -

I don't know the answer to your question; but I'm guessing something based on my experience:

My aortic valve was stenosed enough (I think it was regurgitating also) that it caused other problems too, including an enlarged aortic root and hypertrophy and mitral valve problems. The mitral valve problems were enough that they weren't sure if I'd have to have my mitral worked on too when they replaced the bicuspid aortic valve. However, they put the new aortic valve in and then did a TEE while I was still under and the mitral was working better because of the new valve. Some other heart issues have gotten better with the new aortic valve too. So I think addressing the cause in my case, made some of the other bad effects lessen or even disappear.

This is also an example where all the cardio meds in the world can't fix the problems but they can mask the symptoms, while other things deteriorate, and then there can be irreversable damage and greater difficulty recovering post-op, etc.

How are you doing, by the way Jacqui, and how is your son doing?

Hi Susan....Thanks you for your reply. My son is still having fast heartbeats and chest pain at least twice a week, he is taking the beta blocker again. We are still waiting for the CT scan. I actually rang the hospital in Dublin today but the cardio's secretary wasnt there so I will ring again tomorrow. As for me, I am quite unwell these last few weeks but keeping the best side out for Thomas sake...and Sarah, my daughter who is 16 years old... I have lots of 'will power'..iv had to in order to survive in my life, but I hope things will improve soon...
*Thanks again Susan....I hope you are doing well. 8)

Hi Jacqi - Sorry. I hope you get some good answers and soon. Take care.

MrP,

The article you referenced answers my origianal post. I have an aneurysm.

Now for the Cardiologist to figure out if my age, size, bicuspid valve, regurgitation, etc., warrant fixing now, or waiting. Knowing my first cousin died of a "heart attack" a day after he went to the cardio complaining of chest pains only to be told it was his tummy.

I'm with Ross on this one. Just fix me, or the Cardio will have to give me some really strong reasons why waiting is better AND give me a reasonable expectation level for how I can live my life while in the waiting room.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help!

Ruth

Latest posts

Back