An Introduction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UWMike

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello there!

My name is Michael. I'm 22 years old and I'm currently waiting on word from my cardiologist about next steps in preparation for an impending AVR. It's no longer a question of if, but when. My condition is described as severe aortic stenosis and aortic incompetence (regurgitation) with a dilated aortic root (4.3 cm at last check). I should also note that my aortic valve is bicuspid. Really this post is meant as a bit of an introduction and rant, but also in hopes of getting some reassurance (or perhaps the cold hard truth).

You see, in my youth I never really gave much thought to my condition. I knew that I had to watch myself during physical exertion but other than that it was no more than the periodic vague talk about possible surgery at some undetermined future date. But when you're young you tend not to think much about the future. Now however, I've just graduated from university and am in the process of interviewing for that first real job. This means that I've started to seriously consider my future; everything from professional life to having a family. Incidentally, recent test results have shown that over the past year there has been a fairly significant increase in the gradient across my aortic valve (currently a peak/mean of 153/83 mmHg) despite no change in the area of the valve. I've been told that this means that surgery is most likely imminent. Prior to having done any serious searching on the subject I knew that this would most likely mean a mechanical valve with anti-coagulation for the rest of my life. "No biggie" I thought. Of course I was completely unaware of the host of potential complications associated with the procedure and subsequent medication. Now, after some basic searching on the subject I've gone from blissful ignorance to anxiety and being fairly disheartened. I'm sure many of you have seen the studies pinning the average post-op lifespan at around 16-20 years for someone my age. Although I know that every case is different and that these numbers are likely misleading, I can't help but be depressed about the prospect of not even making it to 40. On the other hand, I've seen some more encouraging information on this forum but at the same time it seems that the 'In Loving Memory' board is also full of remarkable people who lost their battle at similarly young ages further reinforcing that original feeling of hopelessness. It seems that what is really bothering me is the fear of the unknown, yet the more I read the more I get the pants scared off me.

An often-quoted mitigating factor seems to be the hope that current and future developments in treatment will continually increase the length and quality of life for someone in my position. However, based on what I've seen it appears to me that there really hasn't been all that much advancement in the previous 50 years given that the primary anti-coagulant being used is still Warfarin and that the artificial valves themselves really have not changed much. Particularly, as an engineer, I'm amazed that the issue of coagulation with these mechanical valves is still just as big as it was 50 years ago. Maybe that's just me being naive, but it really doesn't leave me with too much hope for future developments.

If you are in the same position as me and are reading this, I hope I haven't prompted any similar feelings of anxiety. But any time this comes up, it's really hard to get off my mind. What do you think? Are these feelings mostly justified or am I just going slightly crazy (even if expectedly so)?

Ah yes, and nice to meet you all :)
- Michael

Hi Michael, I know it's all very frightening at the moment, but don't panic. People live for many, many, many decades after valve replacements. I'm not sure where you've got that 16 to 20 years from, but my understanding is that mechanical valves last a lifetime - and that means a real lifetime, not 20 years.
I had a Ross Procedure to replace my aortic valve (which they thought was bicuspid but was actually unicuspid) 16 months ago. You can read my story at http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/a-diary-of-open-heart-surgery/story-fn6bn9st-1226058541539
A Ross Procedure might be an option for you too ... you don't need to have Warfarin then. But keep in mind that those who do need Warfarin say it's really not that big a deal. There are certainly worse things in life to deal with.
Are you fit and well otherwise? If so, that will stand you in good stead.
This is a great site.
Cheers, Allison

16 to 20 yrs, rubbish, whichever route you go down you should have a long life ahead, there is a lot on here who will back this,dick for one, have trust in your cardio and surgeon,you will do just fine, you say your depressed about not making it to 40? make that 80 ok,and even then your properly wrong :)

Mike - I'll admit that my situation was a lot different than yours, but from what my surgeon told me, my life expectancy after valve replacement surgery would be the same that it would have been if I had never needed valve surgery. Oh, and he is one of the top surgeons in the US for valve surgery. (He says #2. . . maybe #1?)

If you learned about this 16-20 year life span from a doctor, I would run toward another doctor immediately. If it was from a web source, read a few others - I'll bet their insight is much closer to my surgeon's than your original source.

Welcome to the family. We're quite a diverse group, but there is a wealth of real experience here and people are very open about sharing it.

I'm sure many of you have seen the studies pinning the average post-op lifespan at around 16-20 years for someone my age. - Michael

Hi Michael. I was a little older than you when I had my aortic valve implanted, although I did know of my serious heart problem for much of my younger life. I had the surgery at age 31 and thought I would certainly die by age 50.....even with a "new" valve....didn't happen. In about six weeks my "one and only valve" will be 45 years old. It has seldom interfered with my life or lifestyle....and I continue to live a very normal life. The folks on this forum have been where you are at, and we all know how frightening this is. Read and educate yourself and you will have most of your fears resolved, or put into a correct perspective. In retrospect, for me, my valve has only been a "bump in the road", although there is no way I would have believed that at age 31. You should do fine.

PS: later today, I am going to a funeral home to say goodbye to the "best man" at my wedding 55 years ago. He is not the first friend I have outlived.....and it is further evidence that you can live a NORMAL life expectancy AFTER OHS.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the reassuring words. I am otherwise healthy and try to stay fairly active. I'll admit that the amount of reading that I've done to date has been fairly limited which has likely contributed to the occasional bout of anxiety. The numbers I quoted were based on a quick google search which eventually led me to this wonderful forum through this post here http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?34459-Young-adult-life-expectancy. In any case, it's good to have a place like this with so many people who have been there and done that. I'll make sure to keep posted as things progress. Thanks again.

Mike, It certainly is an eye opener when you are told what you have to have done to your heart. It certainly knocked me for a loop for a while after I was diagnosed and told 'not if, but when' and this after having no symtoms, not even a heart murmur all my life until just before I was diagnosed. You have found a good place for information and a ton of good people who have been through this and I hope that you, as it did me, will be a source for reassurance and help as you move ahead. I too have been told by my surgeon and cardio that I should expect to have a full, normal normal life expectancy now that I have had my Aortic Valce replaced with a mechanical one. Good luck and don't hesitate to lean on this forum when you feel the need.

Hey Mike, I was in the exact same boat as you. Knew about BAV all of my life, knew about surgery for over 10 years back. Never, before 10 years ago, gave it any serious thought other than well, it "MIGHT" (was I wrong) need to get done. I had many similar questions that you had and good people here helped with my questions and research. Perhaps some of these links of my conversations will help:

My first post about getting the surgery sometime this year (I did know when at the time): http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...nd-I-guess-we-will-be-replacing-BAV-this-year
A very good discussion on donating your own blood. This was after we set my surgery date: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?39822-Surgery-date-has-been-set-to-03-27-2012
Predicting-Heart-Behavior-with-new-Mech-Valve: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Predicting-Heart-Behavior-with-new-Mech-Valve

Also, you seem very much with it, and there is lots of great content on this board that you can search for, but I just wanted to throw it out there and offer a phone chat or a PM if you wanted to talk about this in person.

GymGuy

PS My surgery was exactly 3-month ago to the day ;) and I am back to gym lifting almost in 80-90% of my pre-surgery weights. Given that I am powerlifter 80-90% of where I was is a good load of weight. There are lots of factors for fast recoveries but take it for what it is just one example.

Welcome Mike, will be on the look-out for your updates. Surgery will make you better and some of the stuff you will find on the internet, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just pose any question you may have and there will always be someone around with an opinion (of course opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one);)

Latest posts

Back