An accidental, almost PR today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillCobit

I did an oly tri this morning. My swim was off about 90 seconds due to navigational errors, I think. T1 seemed to take a hundred years. I decided I was not setting any PRs today, but I felt good on the bike, so I just decided go for a really good bike split and pay for it later on the run. My HR was about 12-15 BPM higher than I would typically want it on the bike ride, but I knocked 6 minutes off my bike split! :D And I did pay on the run, but somehow managed to keep from going up in blue smoke -- came close, though. After the bike, my HR during the run ranged from 165-172, with a high of 178 at the finish line, even though I was only staggering along at a 10:30 pace :( At 220-age, I was 98-100+% max HR.

In the end, I had my second fastest oly time, missing my prior PB by just about 90 seconds. :), and beating my usual time by a few minutes. A decent swim and less diddling at T1 and I would have had a really good day. As it was, it was not too bad. But I have to figure out how to conquer the run.

I'm doing a half-iron next weekend, but after that I think I'm going to start trying some different training approaches - maybe try the Runner's World 10K race training strategy and see if I can get a better result for the Thanksgiving 10K this year. And then I'm going back to dead slow and long distances - cuz I've signed up for Ironman again next year :eek: Goal is same as last time, just to finish before midnight.

Congratulations! Another fun race.

Just curious though - T1 - Did you lose your bike?;) :D

Going to do another IM, wow, if you can do a third I will try to join you.:rolleyes:

Good luck on the half coming up, can't wait to hear about.

Bill, oh Bill! You're like the mailman: you always deliver! Way to go on the near PR. I think if my heart rate was 178 I would puke! Anyway I can't wait to cheer y ou on again in the your IM endeavor.
LLJ
Laura

mntbiker said:
Congratulations! Another fun race.

Just curious though - T1 - Did you lose your bike?;) :D

If you can do a third I will try to join you.

Ha! Didn't lose it this time, but I've done it before. I've also gotten lost trying to find the run exit to the bike corral. :eek:

Third attepmt wouldn't come before 2009; I'm not sure if I'll have enough drive or "youth" left by then. If you're so inclined, I recommend you don't wait around for me. Hmmm. Maybe we should do IM Western Australia and recruit Russell and Grant for a team of four :rolleyes:

How's the recovery going? I recall you have a date w/ a bike ride coming up in a few weeks.

LLJ said:
Bill, oh Bill! You're like the mailman: you always deliver! LLJ
Laura

Yup, but just like the USPS, the good stuff tends to be sandwiched in with a lot of junk! :D Seriously, tho, it's good to be a "mailman" in life after OHS. Thanks in advance for the support.

Anotheree

Anotheree

Olympic, halfs and fulls. You just keep on keepin on...

Good luck with the training, I hope your wife understands...

Russell

Arpy said:
Good luck with the training, I hope your wife understands...

Russell

:D

As a matter of fact....

finisher.jpg

PJmomrunner said:
Congrats to you on the near-PR, Bill. How'd the half tri go?

Um, the half would be one to forget. Really good swim, got a flat at mile 30, bumbled a painfully slow repair, rode 26 miles w/ a rubbing brake pad but didn't realize it, wondered why I faded so badly on the second half of the ride, had a lousy "run" and came in dead last for the whole event. :eek: I've DL'd my age group before, but this was a new low. Anyway, the race organizers allowed my to finish and gave me a nice welcome (and some heckling) when I finally staggered back to the bike corral.

Thanks for asking! :D

I was looking for a better day, but I continue to consider myself fortunate to be able to do this stuff.

Latest posts

Back