Am so Grateful to the Pioneers of OHS - musings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Am in rehab, so have all the time in the world.

Thinking about my process of the last 90 days, i feel overwhelmingly grateful to the surgeons, medical professionals and researchers as well as the patients.
These folks have pioneered the process, allowed for knowledge and lessons learned to provide us in 2010 with a pretty good readmap, of what works and what does not and thank you all for trying.

Today in 2010, AVR MVR and many and all forms of OHS can be performed so efficiently and are available in 2010, to so many/most in the developed world and in all major centers worlwide...wow.

40-50 years ago, remember hearing about heart transplants, with those early recipients getting weeks/years of additional life. Have to wonder if those early transplant recipients today are getting prostetic replacements and surgical fixes vs. the high risk of transplant and rejection.

In early 1970's as a very fit 18 year old, i had shoulder surgery to repair a dislocated shoulder received as a sports injury. By my current recollection, my OHS of 2010, has had a similar rehab to the rehab from shoulder surgery...just amazing, the process, the drugs and so much more.

In 1967, at 63, my father passed away from Atherosclerosis, after several years of suffering limb amputations and so many surgeries that did not preventively address the heart issue...but treated the symptoms as best they could...today, stents, VR, bypass etc. and in many cases people live long and productive lives after a few months of recovery....simply amazing.

So many thanks to the pioneers and all of the senior members of this forum, that haved the way for us new arrivals. If not mistaken Al in 1967, may be one of our member early adopters thanks to Al and all those that preceded me ...you have my gratitude in showing us newbies the way and we are very indebted for the lessons learned of the last decades.
There has truly been no better time than 2010 for OHS and with the rampant advent of web and informational sharing, it should just get better.:)

Back in the 1960s when I was in nurse's training and was found to have marfan-like characteristics, heart-lung bypass for surgery was new and many people died on the machine. The doctor who first noted my marfan-like characteristics said to me, "Well if you have it you will just die." Wow! We have come a very long way indeed! I too am grateful!

Latest posts

Back