Am i doing something wrong #$&*%

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribur

Hey all, hope al is well. I am just blown away here and hoping maybe you will have some insight.I woke up last night at around 2am and could feel that my heart was in atrial flutter, same as when I was in the hospital. I tried to relax and wait until it was time to take my metroprolol and my Amiodorone sorry for spelling, as all the doctors at the Hospital said it was nothing life threatening, just more of an inconvienience. Well took morning pilss and decided might as well go to hospital and have it checked. Now you have to remember I had my Aortic valve replaced with ST.Jude Mech and also had my ascending Aorta repaired. I am also now away from the big city hospital and dealing with doctors who are not even in the same ballpark. I ended up getting 2 units of blood due to low hemoglobin took all afternoon and the doctor has now mentioned mechanical hemolytic anemia which is freaking the hell out of me aeven though he said he doesnt specialize in cardiac anything. When i went in for surgery my HgB was around 150, when i left hospital after surgery it was at 88. Is it normal to lose this much? I was told to take iron prior to surgery but not after, was this an oversight? The small town doc is now wanting me to take 3 iron pills a day and to be checked for the next 3 days with bloodwork to make sure my valve isnt eating/destroying my red blood cells. ANY INPUT at all will be greatly appreciated here. I thought the freaking out was over after the surgery, I know its only been 2 weeks but I am angry, anxious and want my life back. And now thinking there is maybe the possibility that I wont be able to use this valve and go through more surgery is way too much. Help me guys, PLEASE!

After my surgery my hemoglobin was very low (I don't remember the numbers). Like you, I was far from my surgeon and working with my hometown internist. She was reluctant to give me iron pills because of the side effects so she told me to eat lots of red meat. (My vitamin D was also low so she told me to take extra Vit D pills and get some sun). It took about 6 months or so but my hemoglobin and Vit D went back to normal. I think this stuff is very common after major surgery.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back