Altitude

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Hall

I was in Colorado Springs recently and had some minor problems with shortness of breath. That first night I dumbly had a half-cup of Dr. Pepper (caffiene?). So, I couldn't sleep plus my heart started beating irregularly, with hard beats, skipped beats, and heart pain. I strongly considered going to the ER, and would have if in VA, but decided against it. I went back to normal at noon the next day (including the shortness of breath). Anyway, I see my cardiologist on Thursday morning and will ask these questions:
1 - Should I have gone to the ER?
2 - What would they have done?
3 - Is all that stress harmful?
4 - Should I go back to Col Springs, a regular business travel location.
5 - Is caffiene a problem for me or altitude?
All comments are welcome. Are these the questions I should ask?

I believe that unless you are accustomed to higher altitudes (living there), they can pose oxygen problems for people with heart and lung conditions. I know that our neighbor who had bronchiectasis ( a serious lung condition), went to the National Jewish Medical and Research Center (Medical center which specializes in respiratory illnesses) in Denver, for diagnosis and treatment and she had to be given oxygen for her stay in the motel. Also people with pulmonary hypertension have to be careful of high altitudes, for them sometimes even flying can be a problem w/o extra oxygen.

I think heart patients can have similar reactions.

It will be interesting to hear what your doctor says you should have done.

Hi Bill,

I can tell you that altitude and caffeine (especially the combination) can be nasty for people from sea level (which I assume your location is). When I was in the hospital three weeks ago, there were two guys in there who came to Colorado to ski. They had to change their immediate plans to bypass surgery. The nurses said this happens all the time as altitude exacerbates heart problems. Your lungs would need six continuous weeks of adjustment or longer.

Also, even though I've lived here 25 years, I gave up caffeine totally six years ago when I first encountered heart problems. I know when my sea level friends come out here they can neither tolerate coffee nor alcohol very well. (but conversely I can put them away when I go to sea level!)

If you avoid these and strenuous physical activities the altitude should not be a factor otherwise. Also, wanted to mention to drink a LOT (read, 64 ounces) of water a day when here. I prep my friends for this by telling them their urine should be almost clear (honest) and then they know they've had enough water. Our dryness and altitude can dehydrate you very fast.

Paul

Geez Paul,

You didn't leave anything for me to add ;)

Bill everything Paul said is right on the money. Dehydration is literally a killer here. All of your symptoms could have been caused by lack of water. Remember that if Colorado Springs is on your routine business trips in the future.

More on altitude from a flatlander

More on altitude from a flatlander

I asked my cardiologist about altitude issues when I saw her at my 6 week (?) check-up. My mother lives in Evergreen (CO) and it's at 8500 feet. She said that (1) absolutely NO vigorous physical activity at that altitude for the first year after surgery (I have heart damage); (2) slow walking, no jogging, no shoveling, no carrying heavy packages; and (3) staying at that altitude shouldn't be a problem. But if I have trouble sleeping, plan to go to Denver and stay in a motel. The difference between Denver's altitude and Evergreen's is major.

When my folks were caring for elderly relatives who had heart disease (who were in nursing homes in Denver), they were advised that having them stay in their Evergreen home was risky, even tho they were acclimated to Denver.

I lived in Denver 3.5 years (no I didn't save my "I survived the storm of '82" T-shirt) and noticed that everyime I visited the southern California coast I'd 'pick-up' an extra dose of stamina.

I read a Denver newspaper article about accountants 'coming down from Leadsville' to Denver to close their clients books, something about better concentration.

I'm trying to keep away from places with an altitude of over 3,000 ft. (having SOB problems).

God Bless

Two weeks ago I was on vacation and we went to Crater Lake in Oregon -- ~ 7500 feet. It was my first trip to a high altitude locale since my surgery, and it was surprising how bad it made me feel. My heart pounded hard, and when I climbed a long (2 flights) of stairs, I got real wobbly at the top. I stopped and it passed, but I was on guard the rest of the day till I got down off the mountain. I live at sea-level, more or less.

If my memory is working alright on this, I think part of the problem is that the high altitude affects the hemoglobin's ability to transport oxygen to tissues. If someone has low oxygen saturation anyway or a compromised delivery system (coronary artery disease or low cardiac output) this can cause a real problem.

The body will respond by trying to reduce it's oxygen requirements by making you fatigued so you slow down. The body will also be trying to increase it's oxygen carrying capacity. It will do this by number one causing you to breathe more rapidly and deeper and secondly by increasing the production of red blood cells.

The thickening of the blood can increase the workload of the heart so if there is a pre-existing problem it can get worse.

The first time I personally ever had any problem with high altitude effects was being rejected for blood donation because my Hemoglobin was too high following 2 weeks in Switzerland.--------------------Betty

Must get Acclimatized

Must get Acclimatized

Bill, I think you had a mild case of altitude sickness. I've done a lot of touring and photography around Santa Fe, Taos, the Tetons ( not mammography), Bozeman, Yellowstone, etc. I had to learn to go real slow the first week and that caffeine and alcohol are taboo.Lots of cool clear water is good. I have seen altitude sickness in young people at surprisingly low altitudes eg 6000 feet who have no history of heart trouble.

Thank you for all the good responses. I never heard about the dehydration. The day I was there it was near 80 degrees and I didn't have much to drink. Maybe that was a contributor.

I saw my cardiologist today and he didn't really answer my questions. He said that he was not concerned by the heart pain since I am thin and have clear arteries. He was much more concerned about the continued infection that I've had since mid-Feb (ie sore throats). He said that it might infect the heart valve. He is sending me to a contagious disease doctor to get rid of that. We will do an echo and nuclear stress test in the coming month to assure me that my heart is still in good shape.

Water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water...

Water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water, water...

Bill,

It?s really true about the water. Seems every doctor I see... its one of the first things they ask... how much water do you drink? My gyno told me the same thing Paul said.. If your urine is almost clear... you?re drinking enough.

I?m sure glad to hear you are seeing the contagious disease doctor. Yikes! My cardio told me to let him know anytime I thought there was an infection in my body.

Hope to see you and Mrs. Bill in Chicago!!

Bill, we know you will stay on top of this infection and keep us posted as to what turns up. This one is very important because of the infections that turn up in our members from time to time. I hope your dr finds out what is causing it and fixes it.

You know that doctor that, when we tell him 'it hurts when I do this', tells us, 'well, don't do that anymore'? Well, maybe he'd tell you the same about mountains!

Blessins

Latest posts

Back