Almost 6 months post op, possible coumadin issue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sood

Hello kind folks. So I'm almost 6 months post op. Things are going pretty good thank God. I am exercising hard 3 days a week and physically stronger and more fit than before surgery.

I've come across a possible issue. My INR is pretty much always in range between 2 - 3. I've found out I am allergic to spinach lettuce. And tonight I had cabbage in cole slaw and found out it causes the same reaction. Basically my throat starts closing up and feels like food is stuck. My intuition tells me that this is a result of taking coumadin. That the body is rejecting things high in vitamin K. I did an experiment with the spinach and for sure I am allergic to that. And tonight the only thing that I had that I haven't post-op was cabbage with a sandwich. I've also had the problem occur mildly when having a huge salad and maybe too much avocados at once.

Has anyone had or heard of similar issues with coumadin? I didn't have these issues pre-coumadin. This is a very annoying problem, haven't discussed it with docs, allergists yet but will. Even with these issues I do not regret my mechanical valve decision, I'd rather learn what to avoid then risk re-operation.

Thanks!

Hi

So I'm almost 6 months post op. Things are going pretty good thank God. I am exercising hard 3 days a week and physically stronger and more fit than before surgery.
excellent!!

I've come across a possible issue. My INR is pretty much always in range between 2 - 3.

sounds good
I've found out I am allergic to spinach lettuce.

my mate says "I don't eat lettuce and the rabbit does not drive my car, I'll keep to my end of the bargain"

so its sounding win win to me ...

And tonight I had cabbage in cole slaw and found out it causes the same reaction.

do you have the same reaction to plain steamed cabbage?

My intuition tells me that this is a result of taking coumadin.

would seem reasonable if the only thing that happened between now and then was you'd started taking warfarin (can never spell comuadine right). I expect however there has been more than just that.

That the body is rejecting things high in vitamin K.

except that cabbage is not high in vitamin K ... try Broccoli, that has about the highest bioavailable vit K levels.

you'd be the first person I've ever read about who has become allergic to a vitamin.

I've also had the problem occur mildly when having a huge salad and maybe too much avocados at once.

I was unaware that avacado had vitamin K in it so I checked and found that's a bummer. I'll used that (trick up my sleeve) for when I've got an INR spike up ...

This is a very annoying problem, haven't discussed it with docs, allergists yet but will.

good idea! I would be appreciative if you pass back the findings ...

Now if warfarin made one alergic to wine, prawns and beef stew ... well I'd be personally semi suicidal over that one. Salads so far haven't upset me as a loss item.

Hopefully others here will have something else to say, but my view is that if its not a warfarin thing then all the better, not that it will make your allergy go away but may take a weight off your mind about warfarin

:)

PS in case you missed it my suggestion was to try plain streamed cabbage. There may have been something else at work in the coleslaw (like the dressing).

Hmm, seems like you need to check with the doc sood. I don't like all that stuff with vitamin k so I haven't had any issues. I do eat salad but the same amount every week. Just have gotten my Coumadin pretty stable in the last month. Had my AVR May 23, 2013. Let us know what comes of it all.

I eat everything and have no problems. Per my education by the hospital staff, cardiac rehab and on-line, coumadin will not make you allergic to any food or any thing.

Latest posts

Back