Alls well a year later!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CathyK.

Just a little note to let everyone know that Traveler's and my year anniversary was the 9th of this month. To update you all, I have not seen a doctor for anything since my bout with arrythmia rigth after surgery. I have my first echo and check-up in May. I have noticed lately that my lower legs are having slight edema and I am feeling tired more easily these days but I also haven't been exercising either.

Has anyone heard from Traveler?? How is he doing?? I sent him an e-mail just a little bit ago so maybe he will reply.

Thanks to all you here for getting me through my pre and post stuff. You all are angels. Well, I am not sure if Ross or Cooker have wings or ?? :rolleyes: .

Anyway, thanks to all of you and I will try to pop in now and then. So far so good!!

Thanks Laurie, Cooker and Wayne.

Yeah, I think it is the lack of exercise. Thanks for the many, many more years blessing. I have missed you all.

Cathy,

Congratulations on the one-year anniversary. Glad to hear you are well.

My one-year date flew by on Feb 8, and I totally did not notice it. I guess that's good, or my memory is starting to fail me.

My cardio health is great -- no problems. However, I started to have intense back pain about 3 months ago. Finally had an MRI and discovered a spinal fracture in the middle (thoracic) region, T6/T7. Since then, I have been taking it easy and am just now starting back into an exercise regimen.

Congrats to you also Jim P. Sorry to hear about your back. I hope things are going to just keep getting better for you. Thanks for congratulating me! I didn't realize you were just a day ahead!

Jim P said:
...However, I started to have intense back pain about 3 months ago. Finally had an MRI and discovered a spinal fracture in the middle (thoracic) region, T6/T7. Since then, I have been taking it easy and am just now starting back into an exercise regimen.
Jim - Sorry to read this! Do they suspect a cause? Hope you recover quickly and completely. Take care.

Cathy, glad you're doing so well! Traveler sounded like he was doing really well, from the last time I read any of his posts, and I hope that has continued for him too.

Susan BAV said:
Jim - Sorry to read this! Do they suspect a cause? Hope you recover quickly and completely. Take care.QUOTE]

Susan,

It?s kind of a mystery. I always had nearly perfect health, until discovery of the heart murmur about 15 months ago. As you may remember I was in excellent shape, living a rigorous, adventurous life up until then -- leading walking tours around the world and carrying rather heavy loads on my back. I weathered the OHS and AVR very well. But then the spinal fracture popped up about 9 months afterward for no apparent reason. I believe it happened in the gym while I was doing some heavy exercising. I do not, at this point, think that the OHS and the spine problems are related.

I had the first bone density scan of my life after the fracture was discovered, and the spinal area turned out low numbers (all other body areas were OK). Endocrinologist and orthopedist are a little stumped, as I had totally normal lab readings (from 5 vials of blood, etc.), but they suggested that I treat it as if it were Osteoporosis -- calcium tablets weekly, limiting exercise for a few months, etc.

The whole incident has forced me to start acting my age and not think of myself as a 20-year old any more. However, my intention is to get over this and press on with as much energy as I can muster.

Jim P said:
I had the first bone density scan of my life after the fracture was discovered, and the spinal area turned out low numbers (all other body areas were OK). Endocrinologist and orthopedist are a little stumped, as I had totally normal lab readings (from 5 vials of blood, etc.), but they suggested that I treat it as if it were Osteoporosis -- calcium tablets weekly, limiting exercise for a few months, etc.

Last year a bone density scan showed that my spinal area also had very low numbers (-2.4 - osteopenia, but almost osteoporosis). My femur and pelvis are normal. I started taking Actonel once a week and my doctor said to go for another scan this June which I will do. I've been taking calcium supplements for years.

Cathy,

CONGRATULATIONS on your YEAR anniversary :).

Jim,

Very sorry about your spinal fracture....thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Finding out the hard way what freedom means" ... Baillie and the Boys ... 'Wilder Days'

Hi Cathy (and everyone else)

Congrats on our first year - Cathy. I'm still reading but haven't posted for quite a while. I really appreciate everyone's posts and they were very helpful before and after surgery.

I wish I was with everyone in Florida today, but I'm traveling in the Republic of Georgia for a couple of weeks, so I can't be there. It seems like it is always business before pleasure, but I hope I can join you next year.

Looking back on a year since surgery, it seemed like the physical part was pretty easy, I was back at work on part time basis pretty quick. I still get tired easier and I still push myself pretty hard. So everything on the physical front seems good.

I'm told that my valve repair is leaking more than hoped (and getting worse). I'm class 3+. But no one is talking about surgery yet, so I'm hoping to get a few more years before I have to think about surgery again.

The recovery from the emotional and mental part seems to be taking longer. I haven't quite figured out whether I'm forgetting more things than before but it seems like it. But it has been a good year. Hoping to join everyone next year at the reunion.

Traveler (aka Mark)

Latest posts

Back