AFIB is complicating my recovery and I want it to stop

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

So far, my recovery from OHS 1 week ago has been textbook. Except for the afib. I had a problem with afib, so the surgeon did a Maze procedure while he had me open.

I had an afib episode while still in the hospital, but it resolved after 15 hours. I came home Thursday and went back into afib Thursday night at about 10:00 PM It is still going after about 20 hours. It doesn't bother me all that much so long as I sit pretty still, but I can't get up and walk around like I need to be doing.

The surgeon's advice is to hold on and see if it resolves. If not, I guess I will go to the local ER and get cardioverted on Sunday. It is a shame because otherwise I am doing so well.

One thing that is really weird is that you have to consciously remember to take deep rather than shallow breaths. I'm working on that part!

John

John,

Sorry to hear this but the surgeon is right, wait and see. I had the ablation which I am pretty sure is about the same as maze. They said it might be 6 months before we knew if it would work. Two week post op I went into a-fib and had to be shocked back (no biggy). It has not happened since. One year five month and no sign of the pesky a-fib.

I hope you will have the same outcome but it will take time to tell.

Good luck.

Tom

John you may need cardioversion only one time to make it get it's act together. I'm hoping you don't need it at all, but if you do, you do.

hang in there

hang in there

H+John, sorry to hear about your problem, but you still have the right attitude. Do what needs to be done and get on with it.

Give your heart time to heal from the shock it has undergone this last week. Is your surgeon comfortable having a cardioversion after this short of time? My afib after multiple ablations took months to surface. Hang in and relax and it will be gone as swiftly as it came.
Kathleen

I was rehospitalized post-op and was begun on Sotalol and I also received magnesium IVs for the few days that I was back in the hospital. It worked for me. I was only on
the Sotalol for about three months. Hope your issue resolves soon. Take care.

A-Fib is a BUMMER isn't it !

I had a few events post op spread over 6 weeks.

First time - in hospital - Digoxin Protocol - resolved after 3 hours.

Second time (at 5 weeks) - Went to local ER, on monitor, resolved after 3 hours.

Third time - called GP on-call, bargained with Doc to 'let me ride it out" and promised to go to ER in morning if not resolved. Resolved in 3 hours.

Fast Forward 2 years, developed Exercise Induced A-Fib.
Cardiologist put me on SOTALOL (generic for BETAPACE which targets A-Fib), 80 mg twice a day. Weaned back to 40 mg (and usually only once a day for a year, then back to 2X day). (Info sheet says to start Sotalol / Betapace, you should be monitored IN HOSPITAL for a few days to see how you will react. Not all Doc's follow that recommendation...)

Many Docs like to use AMIODARONE which is the SLEDGE HAMMER of anti-arrhythmics BUT comes with a Laundry List of NASTY / DANGEROUS Side Effects, not to mention a 6 Month Half Life. It is the DRUG of LAST RESORT. (Do a SEARCH for "Amiodarone" or talk with your Pharmacist about all the side effects of this drug BEFORE agreeing to it's use. Many Doc's swear by it for the SHORT TERM. Beware of Long Term use.

'AL Capshaw'

It stopped after about 20 hours. I was just venting again. Hopefully, the maze procedure will be a permanent cure.

It does set you back. I didn't realize how shallow I was breathing again, so I have had to work on that.

BUt today was good! Started on my walking program and feel much better.

John

John, at one week post-op I began the A-fib/A-flutter and I had it every day for a week, off and on, until I finally went back into the hospital to begin the Sotalol. My local family doctor tried digoxen (sp?) at first, which didn't work. The doctors wanted me back into the hospital STAT for the rhythm problem but my husband and I balked at that, not wanting to go to the crummy local hospital, and initially also not wanting to travel hours back to the hospital where I had OHS. Hope your's resolves quickly and completely.

67walkon said:
One thing that is really weird is that you have to consciously remember to take deep rather than shallow breaths. I'm working on that part!

John

Gosh...that made me smile. I had forgotten that. My favorite nurse came in and laughed at me because I was taking shallow breaths......as if not to break the stitches! or out of habit. Those first long deep breaths were tentative!

I had a bit of a-fib while in ICU, but I was lucky to have left it (knock on wood) in the hospital. I know it is different for everyone. Please be patient. Perhaps you could take a kinder stance toward your "new" heart and give it some positive feedback. There is so much research about bio-feedback being a successful way to remedy things. Relax, accept that your heart is having trouble adjusting, visualize its constant beating without any a-fib and perhaps, in time, it will resolve. It will adjust. If you can sense your heartbeat when it is not in A-fib, perhaps you can focus on it.....send a message to the brain that says...this is how I want you beating you wonderful heart, you! Help it along. It is weary....searching for the right posture inside you....give it a hand.

I know that my PVC's are benign and not at all the stuff of A-fib. But I'm 18 months out and they seem to have just rather suddenly, finally vanished. It all takes time.

Good luck. Hang in there!!

:) Marguerite

I know, this all sounded very "wooey-wooey" and ridiculous......but will it hurt you to try?? ;) At least it accentuates the positive!!! :D

Uggg, sorry to hear you are hitting the AFib bump in the road.

I never had the luxury (if you can call it that) of having it convert on its own. My just kept on & on & on.

I will say that for all my worry & apprehention about the cardioversion it was not a big deal for me. More scary to think of than to experience.

Here's to NSR from now on.... !

Ruth

Latest posts

Back