Advice about a doctor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more P.S.

One more P.S.

The 3 day lap//was this was on Friday. I went back down on Sunday Night. Marriot is on same site..so family could walk back and forth. Went to watch my Grandson play Little League Ball on Sat. and breakfast with Family Sunday morning. NOT that I was laying in Hospital for 3 days.:p Bonnie

Since Joe's surgeon has operated on him three times, 2 hearts and one lung, and because he's at our local hospital, Joe saw him quite a few times. He's a wonderful man, very personable, and he really cares about what is happening with Joe. We run into him frequently, because Joe goes to the hospital a lot for bloodwork.

During all of Joe's hospitalizations, even if they weren't surgical, he stopped in just to be friendly.

On top of that, he's a top-notch surgeon.

The best endorsement I can give to my doctors is that I'm still here and feeling great two years later...

Mark:D

also in south florida...

also in south florida...

...hi John: I'm new here as well, but wanted to see if you had any experience with Dr. Ernesto Traad (head of Cardiothoracic surgery) at Mt Sinai in Miami.

He saved my husband's life back in 2000 (at 38, hubby had aortic valve replacement with st judes mechanical, and ascending aortic root replacement due to aneurysm).

SICU at Mt Sinai was great - but the step down, in my experience, was NOT good at all, IMO. Too many patients for the overworked nurses...this was back in 2000 - maybe things have gotten better since then...

In any event, good luck to you.

Nef

I to as Joy had Dr. Edward Verrier. He was referred to me and than I check into his background. Everyone I spoke with raved about him. I than found a wonderful web called Best Doctors.(www.bestdoctors.com). These are doctors choosen by their peers. When I went into this site and and asked for the best thoracic surgeons within 400 miles of Seattle, Dr. Verrier was number one. I did not know this at the time, but I was very pleased. They will only list 2 and if there are not 2 in the area they won't list any. Good luck.

Best Doctors

Best Doctors

Thanks, Mike, I really appreciate the advice about www.bestdoctors. I'm curious about another thing that forum participants may want to weigh in on. I have found myself increasingly disappointed with the amount of reliance my cardio places on his physician assistant. It seems I am dealing more with the PA than I am with the MD. Is this something that sounds familiar? Are some doctors just more inclined to refer their patients to their PAs? There are times I feel neglected when I go to the cardio's office, and I'm hesitant to say much for fear I may alienate my MD.

Do not be alarmed by this.The PA's are very qualified and I think you will find that most of us spend more time with the PA's. All of my post-op appointment have been with the PA. The doc may stop in if he/she is around.

I'm with John on this business of only seeing PA's rather than the physician. I think that if it is clearly underwrood that the appointment will be with the PA, it's OK; however, if I think I'm seeing my doc and I get the PA, I don't like it.

I get a bit disgruntled when paying for a doctor and not having the opportunity to see him/her.

Advice about a doctor

Hey John,

I don't know about the doc you are asking about, but we have some really great docs right here in FL. I had my surgery done at JFK Medical Center by a wonderful surgeon, Dr. Lancelot Lester. Maybe you should check him out!

Karen

John,

I also want to praise the care I recieved at JFK. The Cardiac ICU was the best and the Step Down unit was great as well. The nurses, PA's, technicians in all areas and especially the nurse's aids were super. I saw a lot of different docs while I was there, couldn't keep them all straight. My surgeon, Dr. Lester, was there every single day! He even followed up after I left the hospital with a couple of home phone calls! The hospital is located in Atlantis, FL which is near West Palm Beach.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Karen

Post surgery care

Post surgery care

Hi , I saw my surgeon Dr griepp 2x after surgery he is one of
the topin New york city At Mt sinai for pediatric and adult surgeries a very humble soft spoken man with over 25 years expierence . My nursing care was outstandinwas in cardiac ICU for 2 weeks:( due to low oxygen levels almost didnt make it )
My cardiologist is outstanding in persoanility ,th emost gorgeous
blue eyes u have ever seen :D and most importantly
brain power .
My nurse prationer who manages my coumadin is really awesome she knows almost every drug without even looking stuff up ...................
If i were to rate my care at MT Sinia they get a 10 +
DARA
tRICUSPID VALVE REPLACEMENT
FEB 9TH 2001
dR GRIEPP SURGEON
dR FUSTER ( MY ANGEL )

Post surgery care

Post surgery care

I was very interested in the responses I read as to how often we saw our surgeons before and after surgery. I had a consult with my surgeon before making my decision to have surgery. I saw him the night before surgery and on the day I was scheduled for surgery I got bumped because a heart came in and they did a transplant. Around 7:30 PM on the day I was supposed to have surgery my surgeon came in looking like the wrath of God and said if I still wanted to have surgery he would operate that day. I told him to go home and get a good night's rest and I would see him in the morning!. I saw him every day that I was in the hospital. It seemed to me that if I said boo there he was. I saw him for a follow up after discharge and I have not seen him since. In July it will be 13 years since my aortic valve replacement.
I could not have been more satisfied with his care and that of his nurse.

Latest posts

Back