Advice about a doctor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John M.

I am a first time user of this forum so I apologize if this question is repetitive. But is anyone familiar with Dr. Randoloph Chitwood, personal experiences that can be shared? I am currently researching treatment possibilities for my heart condition and his name has been called to my attention.

Thank you.

Hi John-

Welcome to this great site. You'll have lots of replies re: Dr. Chitwood. His name is mentioned favorably many times here.

I hope you will take some time to browse around, there's a ton of info. here.

Tell us a little more about what's up with you.

Thanks for responding, Nancy. That was fast. I look forward to any information about Dr. Chitwood that others might be willing to share.

My cardiologist in Florida tells me I may need bypass surgery and possibly surgical treatment for my aortic valve. I have experienced restenosis in a stented portion of my LAD and there is a chance this area will restenose once again now that I underwent brachytherapy just last month. In looking forward to the possibility of surgery I want to get my ducks in a row -- even if it means traveling to another state. That's where Dr. Chitwood comes in. I understand he is in North Carolina. I am trying to get as much anecdotal information about him as I can from people who have had personal experiences about his surgical practice.

Thanks again.

John, I am from Greenville,NC and Dr Chitwood did my first heart surgery. He was great! Very personable and smart. His assistants are also great. His nurse (Donna Lou) is his right hand. He did the robotic surgery on me and unfortunately the valve started leaking again 6 months later but I blame him in no way! He is a very good doctor and you will love Greenville. We have a very good hospital (Pitt County Memorial Hospital). Now Dr Chitwoods office you will go to is nothing special, but the care is excellent. Feel free to e-mail me for further info at
<[email protected]>

Good luck my friend.
:)

John

John

I looked at your user ID..No location..Maybe it would help if you post State? Welcome and ask anything you feel like.

Sorry for the confusion. I am in South Florida. However, I am willing to travel out of state for surgery if necessary. Do you know of anyone who has been treated by Dr. Chitwood?

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks John

Thanks John

O.K. you Floridaians? Ann, Bill A. Steve, Sunshine Susan? Can yall help John..May I ask, John, just what is your problem?Don't be shy to post.:D We love to jump in and give all kinds of info:p You will be surprised.:) bonnie

I'm 56 years old with blockage in the LAD that has been stented twice. The first time was last October. In stent restenosis then led to brachytherapy last month and the second, overlapping stent. At the same time I have aortic stenosis that may require valve replacement at some point. So at this point I am a likely candidate for bypass surgery and a possible candidate for valve replacement. I am looking for a thoracic surgeon who can assist me as and when needed. More importantly, I am looking for someone I can trust and who makes me feel as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. That's why I'm trying to learn as much about Dr. Chitwood -- and possibly others -- as possible.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi John,
I'm in Sarasota and had my AVR at Sarasota Memorial. Can't help with Dr. Chitwood, but my cardiologist Dr. Ricardo Yaryura and surgeon Dr. Martin Beggs here in Sarasota are terrific.

Mark

Hi John, I can't help with either of those doctors, but I actually live in Silverdale,Washington,and had my surgery done my Dr. edward Verrier, who is excellent as well. I know you probably won't want to travel that far for your surgery, but he is an excellent surgeon, and his cardiac care manager(Tracy) is great! She's there to answer any questions you might have. good luck, I know the qwest for the perfect surgeon is a tough one!

John, Its been entertaining talkimg to you via e-mail. Do you plan on having the robotic surgery? Is that an option for your surgery?
Just curious
:confused: :rolleyes: ;)

How many of you know your...

How many of you know your...

I am very surrprised how readly people say Dr. X is a great, excellent, Doc. When how many of you ever looked up your Dr's history. It has to be given out by the hospital if you ask in the business office. Or check on line normally with your states medical board.

Medtronic --

I understand your point. At the same time I was simply soliciting feedback from people who may have personally experienced a particular doctor. I think there is some value in knowing what others do think about their personal experiences. But you are undoubetly correct in suggesting that the better measure of quality is whatever information the hospital or the state medical board can provide. Thank you for sharing your view on this thread.

John M.

. . . know your doc

. . . know your doc

You betcha, I sure checked on my docs online. When you're thrown into this situation with no warning and very little time to make decisions and really being too sick to make educated choices, checking these folks out was the least I could do.

Thoracic Surgeons?

Thoracic Surgeons?

I'm curious to know..how many of our members saw their Thoracic Surgeons..before their open-heart surgery.. Once, twice ? I saw mine once, when my Card brought him to me and my family after my Heart Cath.. He stood by my bed.....and the Card told me and my family..this is the man that I would want to operate on me.. So, 3 days later. he did.:) Of course, he came out and talked to my family after surgery..but I have never seen him again.. This was in Atlanta..St. Joseph's Hospital..Team of 10 Thoracic Surgeons..A different one came to my room everyday and saw a different one 3 weeks later. My Card took over after I came home. Manages my coumadin.. 1 Year later. I am doing great...My thoughts are..Nurse Care. ICU..(Never woke up until 2 days later in Private Room..no pain.. St. Josephs in Atlanta is listed as top Cardiac Nurses. 5 star.. Going to see Card. April 15th for 1 year post-op.. Never have heard from Surgeons.(saw Card 3 months, 6 months post-op... Bonnie

I checked out my doctors online...all of them. all of my doctors have outstanding reputations, and records. After I met with them,

Who is that masked man? I want to thank him.

Who is that masked man? I want to thank him.

Gee, Bonnie, sounds kinda like taking your car in for some work. Seriously, tho - I saw my surgeon every day I was in the hospital when they diagnosed the problem, and every day after surgery (but I think that had something to do with his nurse being on vacation). Then one follow-up, and that's it.

He was very open to answering questions and explaining everything that happened in great detail.

Of course, this is a much smaller operation here than in Atlanta. And your post-op experience is the gold standard. I remember LOTS of the first couple of days; fortunately through a pain-killer and amnesiac fog.

Doctors on Internet

Doctors on Internet

I would love to see my surgeon's background. What do you type in? State..and then what? Bonnie

Georgia (Love that name)

Georgia (Love that name)

The Peachtree Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons..( My Lone Ranger:D was Doctor W. Morris Brown III.) one of a team of ten..:D It was Easter week..so maybe he went on a cruise:p on my Insurance:p I'm glad because he was the best-looking man I have ever seen and so were the other 6 Doctors. Better believe I put on make-up and daughter ( who stayed 24 hrs. and hubby too) would French :eek: Braid my hair.. They encourage the family to stay in room. Provides a bed for them..However, I failed to mention..that Dr. Brown's private Nurse came each day with the different Doctor's to update them on me. Bonnie

Latest posts

Back