Add me to the list!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakingwave

I have been here waiting and watching for years, now its my turn. I see Dr. Conte at John Hopkins tomorrow and of course like many who have posted here I am scared out of my gourd. I was in the hopsital about a month ago with Afib, and wasn't too crazy about the local surgeon situation so I read some things here and sought to get an appointment with Dr. Conte. Hoping its a good decision.
I also had something happening a couple of weeks ago that I wondered if anyone else has had such a situation. I was away at the time and so I haven't seen anyone about it but while I was gone one day I woke up with what appeared to be bruises or signs of blotches I don't know if it was internal bleeding on my abdomen. I had moved some furniture before we left, yes I know I am very hard headed and probably wasn't the right thing to do. It took almost a week but the purpleish blotches faded but I wondered if it was something that should be thought about before I get a mechanical heart valve that I am hoping for. Nervous about the blood thinners. I also am taking Amiodarone 200 mg and wondered if that could have been a reaction. anyone have such a problem? Anyway I am hoping tomorrow goes well, I have some questions I got off of the board here and wasn't sure how speedy he will be to schedule the surgery. Is there anything I should be asking?

Welcome to the next stage of your journey. Since you've been reading here you may have have read that many of us became calmer as surgery approached. About the bruising, do you take aspirin daily? I bruise more often and more easily because of it. Even if you do take aspirin, it would be worth checking with the Amiodarone-prescribing doctor just in case, and bringing bruising up when you discuss surgery. You will probably have no trouble coming up with questions, but it's always good to find out who will handle follow-up questions, and the best way to reach that person.
Good luck with Dr Conte, and as you move forward.

Hi breakingwave: I am day 31 with my new ON-X Aortic Valve. I have only had minor bruising issues. This was contributed to my twice per week blood draws to establish my Coumadin dosage for a proper INR range between 2 and 3. I am down to 1 blood draw per week. My INR was last noted at 2.7. Once it is deemed stable I will only need to be checked once per month. I am having no significant issues with being on Coumadin. Yes, there are foods that you need to stay away from. But per my cardiologist the key thing is to be consistent with your diet. In addition to my daily Coumadin dosage, I take a 325mg aspirin per day. Do you know the status of your ascending aorta? It is very common for individuals with bicuspid aortic valves to have a serious dialation of their ascending aorta. Mine was 4.9 cm. When it gets near 5.0 cm surgery is urgently recommended to repair it. It is classified as an aneuryism when it gets this enlarged and needs surgical repair.Definitely have this checked out!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Like HotS I am relatively fresh from my surgery. I was commenting to my wife that it really seems like an eternity ago, not 5 weeks. Time will fly by. It's natural to feel anxious and worried. Education and preparation helped me with the anxiety and I felt very at ease going into the surgery. Good luck with your appointment and keep us posted.

Update: I met with Dr. Conte, I really liked him. He spoke of using the cardiomedics valve and ablation so I will hoping to research those two things. Especially interested in hearing if anyone has received this mechanical brand of valve?

breakingwave, I just saw your earlier post and the blotch, purple, with a little red around it and yellow I bet, was a bruise. Hope it is better now. And sorry, I am not familiar with the type of valve the cardio is suggesting. But someone else will be by that perhaps has either has one or heard of it. Good luck and keep us posted as time passes till surgery. Hugs for you today.:cool:

Latest posts

Back