Acute Aortic Syndrome or AAS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlyss

Chest pain that comes from the aorta is now being called Acute Aortic Syndrome or AAS. It is beginning to be written about in the medical literature using this term. Many people are not aware that the aorta can be a source of pain.

Those that have bicuspid aortic valves may be vulnerable to this. It seems that it is usually the ascending aorta in bicuspids, although I have spoken to a bicuspid whose first experience was when the descending aorta dissected. Apparently there can be different levels of pain, but when it is severe enough to send someone to the ER, a heart attack is an appropriate suspicion. However, when a heart attack is ruled out, that does not mean everything is fine. It could be AAS, and the aorta needs to be checked.

Here is a link to an example of this

http://www.bicuspidfoundation.com/Stacey_Grieshop_Talks_about_Acute_Aortic_Syndrome__AAS_.html

The goal is to avoid emergency situations, but those who find themselves there need a strong advocate in the ER that insists on a scan of their aorta. Lesser pain should also be checked, especially if there are known risk factors present like bicuspid aortic valves. If I personally had a BAV and had any inkling at all of something not feeling right in my chest, I would insist on careful evaluation. I know too many people who had some vague symptoms, come and go pain, or feelings of pressure in their chest, especially when exercising or under stress (when the blood pressure may be elevated) which went away after aortic surgery.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

If only this were all around in 1995! I so could have used it then.

"• When chest and/or back pain or other symptoms are present and there is no evidence of a heart attack, a CT scan of the aorta using intravenous contrast should be done. Alternatively, a high quality transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE) may also be equally informative."

Instead of this being a first step that night in the emergency room, it was the very last for me. Nearly too late.

Dear Ross,

You are a great inspiration. I am so very sorry that you and so many others have been injured or lost their lives to aortic disease in the chest .... There will be more information coming about AAS ....

Doug and Stacey come from your state of Ohio, and I understand the local radio station in her town will play that audio in the month of September.

You are a very special man who fills a wonderful place in helping others.

Arlyss

I cannot believe that they did a Catheterization and missed it, did a regular 2d
echo and missed it, chest xray and though they knew something was very wrong, they didn't know what. You'd think a pericardium filled with blood and clots would be a dead give away. By the time they got my Cardiologist in on the game, I was almost gone and he immediately ordered the Catscan and low and behold, there it was as plain as day. All the time spent on those other things could well have been the end of it for me.

This information helps re-enforce the fact that someone with a BAV or enlarged Aorta should have it scaned if they experience chest pain.

I have recently experienced chest pain (stinging) and shooting pain in the neck and stinging under my chin, the pain is not intense more so annoying. During this time I have also had severe heartburn so it is very hard to point the finger at something, overall I would say the feeling in the chest is uncomfortable, this has continued for nearly two weeks, the heartburn has got better but the stinging in the left side of the sternum is still hanging around.

Being unable to sleep I visited the hosiptial, informed them of my BAV and Aorta (4cm), they did a CT Scan and all was fine, I was kept there for 24 hours, they came to the conclusion that it is related to severe heartburn and chest muscle problems.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is the discomfort may be from the Aorta but I have had the CT scan, my cardioloigist says I don't need to see him about, so I'm left with my GP troubleshooting it, and with my Aorta at 4cm I'm not even considered for opertation.

This information is good for someone with an Aorta near an operational size, but there's not much someone can do with a smaller aorta size, apart from point the finger at something else because they are not going to operate.

Without twitches in the chest I can somewhat get on with my life a little, but at the moment I am remineded constantly.

Mark

Latest posts

Back