active (indoor) lifestyle

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar bee

dear fellow valvers

I'm trying to enlarge the 'what-do-valvers-do' exercise-data collection on this forum. Currently slightly over 4 month post surgery with a SJM AVR at the age of 40.

HRmax were given to me by my cardio ,essentially following the 220-age formula.

@3.5 weeks: treadmill and ergometer, always with Polar HRM, not higher than 90 bpm (still under Calcium channel blocker). Exercise session usually 20 min, 60 rpm on the ergometer, low intensity (still can have a conversation), usually 3-4 four times a week.

@ 7 weeks: off all drugs except warfarin, HR up to 120, usually 30 min sessions, 70 rpm on ergometer, low intensity (still can talk..). About 3 sessions a week. Went back to work, started walking home from work (app 2 km) at relatively brisk pace.

@ 14 weeks: HR up to 135, usually 40-60 min sessions, 80 rpm on ergometer, med intensity (can talk but not always), about 3 sessions a week. I would burn about 400kcal each session according to my polar.

@ 16 weeks: started doing indoor duathlon (2 km walk/run, 10 km ergometer, 2km walk/run)! 135 HR max allows me to run for app. 90 sec @ 7.5 km/hr, then I need to reduce speed to 7.0 km/hr for another three minutes (have to add that I have never been a runner).

projected @ 20 weeks: HR max up to 145 (which is 80% of my HR max according to age formula)

I would love to do all of this outdoor, but where I live it simply too dangerous to ride a bike on the street and mostly too hot and humid :(

Cardio allowed me to do moderate weight lifting, NO contact sports, still off golf for another few weeks! I might get back to indoor rowing within the coming weeks.

I hope this helps, well2allofu
ar bee

Way to go, ar bee!

Way to go, ar bee!

I figure the more detailed our data, the more helpful it will be, too.

I'm 2 weeks into Carmichael Training Systems' program, and am down 5 pounds (210 to 205). No change yet in my Polar Own Index (35, not exactly great, but I'll start here and work my way up). I'm now 8 months post-op.

I have a pulse oximeter, but all it tells me is that I'm doing just fine -- typically 94% to 97% -- though it hit 90% on a cross-country flight in an Airbus A319. Auto wrist cuff BP monitor (Omron) tells me my BP in the morning is typically 95/60.

Here's to metrics geeks everywhere!!! :)

ar bee said:
dear fellow valvers

I'm trying to enlarge the 'what-do-valvers-do' exercise-data collection on this forum. Currently slightly over 4 month post surgery with a SJM AVR at the age of 40.

HRmax were given to me by my cardio ,essentially following the 220-age formula.

@3.5 weeks: treadmill and ergometer, always with Polar HRM, not higher than 90 bpm (still under Calcium channel blocker). Exercise session usually 20 min, 60 rpm on the ergometer, low intensity (still can have a conversation), usually 3-4 four times a week.

@ 7 weeks: off all drugs except warfarin%, HR up to 120, usually 30 min sessions, 70 rpm on ergometer, low intensity (still can talk..). About 3 sessions a week. Went back to work, started walking home from work (app 2 km) at relatively brisk pace.

@ 14 weeks: HR up to 135, usually 40-60 min sessions, 80 rpm on ergometer, med intensity (can talk but not always), about 3 sessions a week. I would burn about 400kcal each session according to my polar.

@ 16 weeks: started doing indoor duathlon (2 km walk/run, 10 km ergometer, 2km walk/run)! 135 HR max allows me to run for app. 90 sec @ 7.5 km/hr, then I need to reduce speed to 7.0 km/hr for another three minutes (have to add that I have never been a runner).

projected @ 20 weeks: HR max up to 145 (which is 80% of my HR max according to age formula)

I would love to do all of this outdoor, but where I live it simply too dangerous to ride a bike on the street and mostly too hot and humid :(

Cardio allowed me to do moderate weight lifting, NO contact sports, still off golf for another few weeks! I might get back to indoor rowing within the coming weeks.

I hope this helps, well2allofu
ar bee

Arbee,

Glad to hear that you're progressing. You can probably start rowing any time now, but be sure to set the damper at a low resistance setting and don't pull your hardest until you know that the breastbone is fully healed. Even with light pulling you can still get a good cardio workout and stretch the leg and back muscles - and you already know what a great indoor exercise the rower is.

Keep in touch and good luck with your recovery.

Latest posts

Back