ACT and Diverticular disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tin Man

I had to have a partial colectomy in 1992 as a result of diverticulitis. Since that time I have had a few occational flare ups that have required treatment, but mostly I just have a very sensitive gut. Gotta watch what I eat carefully. Also sensitive to many meds, otc and Rx.
My question is, has anyone with a "sensitive gut" ever had or heard of someone having a problem with warfarin aggravating any of these kind of conditions? I know GI bleeding can be an issue with some but I rarely have any kind of bleeding associated with my problems.
I'm really leaning toward a mechanical valve in my upcoming surgery next week but I am trying to decide if I can go the long haul with warfarin. Dont want to find out I'm going to feel sick every day. Thanks for any input.

Good Questions to ask of ALL of your Doctors, PCP, GI, Cardio, and maybe even Cardiac Surgeon.

I know of an anticoagulated patient who had an episode of diverticulitis that was successfully treated with antibiotics and no problems since.

Yes, make sure this is addressed with your doctors.

Also, with a tissue valve, many of us have been instructed to take a daily aspirin, though often a small-dose one.

Let us know what you find out? Best wishes :)

Yes I have diverticular, which was a concern when I had my surgery. Quiet frankly I did not mention this to any of my Dr's. I do have a porcine valve though.

Very good question, make sure you address any concerns with your Dr's. Let us know what they say.

Take care

I think it would be very important to ask your gastro doctors about this. they will have experience; other patients. Also you might just try talking to some pharmacists, too. They have real time experience with what people are taking and mixing into their lifestyle.

You might want to talk a little more completely with your surgeon about the tissue valve. Of course, even with tissue, coumadin is possible; just not as likely.

Good luck and get on the phone!! :wink2:

Marguerite

Back