Ablation done

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfay

After a what seemed like a never ending day, my ablation is finally done. I think in all it took a little over 7 hours. I thought my back was going to break. After meeting with the Dr. at 6:30 this morning, we decided that I would have the best chance of success if I had no medication. So, they numbed up my legs and inserted a total of 10 caths.

About 3 hours into the cath, I couldn't take it any more. My back was killing me. So, he finally agreed to let me have some pain meds which helped take the edge off of my back pain. Of course, I only had 1 pac the whole time, however, I was having alot of atrial tachycardias of around 250 bpm and they think that my pac's and those tachy's are coming from the same place. So, he did about six burns on my right side, but then decided the one on the left side was causing some issues. It is around my patch. So,since he couldn't go through the patch, but he was able to go through my vessels to get to the left side. He was not, however, able to ablate that one. If I need that one ablated later, they will have to do more tests to figure out exactly how large that patch is and if there is room to go around it. I won't be doing that. I just got up for the my first walk after lying here for another 4 hours and immediately started bleeding, so back in the bed for another hour before we can try again. Not to mention that since I got into my room, I have been having pac's like crazy...LOL.

So, we won't know how it turned out for up to a couple of months. Fingers still crossed, but I won't be re-visiting an ablation anytime soon. My pain with this has been more than it ever was with surgery.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and well wishes.

Kim

I'm glad the ablation is over. We will pray that things will be much better. Laying for hours on those hard tables is torture. Hope you're feeling better real soon. LINDA

I'm so glad it's finally done Kimmie! I had been thinking of you on & off today wondering how you had done thru the procedure. I hope that you will be able to go home soon. I can almost imagine the pain in your back --- I have a very weak back & when they did the last cath, I thought my back had been broken! Hope you feel better!

Keeping you in my prayers! Have a good night! :)

7 hours and no meds?????:eek: I was lucky, mine only took an hour. Sorry you had so much trouble. As Ross said, hope you are cured! Hope you are out of there soon.

So, I get to leave the hospital today. Since I have an allergy to aspirin, they are going to send me home on coumadin with 3 days worth of Luvonox (sp?) shots to start on. I will only have to stay on it for a month. No big deal.

The Dr.'s came in to see me at about 10:30 last night and said they did not think they got it:mad:. They think it is definitely on the left sife or even imbedded in the part of my heart that my asd patch is actually attached to. They asked if I wanted to stay for 3 more days and start Tikosyn...I said "no thank you". So, I'm going home to see how it all settles out. They may have made some improvements that will make this more livable. If not, I can always go on meds or, I can come back and they will do more testing to figure out a "safe" way over to the left side of my heart to try and get it. I don't think I'm up for that option.

Kim

What an ordeal, I thought of you often and sent a couple prayers. I hope that the results of this ablation will provide some relief

Fingers crossed that this did the trick. My cath and EPS were 19 years ago - and I STILL remember the back pain.

wow... I didn't know you were gonna be awake for this whole thing.... that is crazy... I couldn't image laying on those hard tables for 7 hours AWAKE!!! I hope the bleeding stops and you start to feel better.

Sorry haven't been on to reply sooner, but glad the ablation is over. Mine was 5 hours long and I thought I would go crazy with all the pain I was feeling. Hoping this ablation fixed the problem for you.

Your friend in abnormal heart rhythm craziness, ;)

Well, after a long day of travel, I am finally home. I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a massive migraine headache. I didn't have any more of my meds with me since I had taken them earlier in the week. When the clinic opened, I called my cardio there and asked her to call me in some which she did (she is just awesome). So, I took massive amounts of drugs to get home.

My heart has been having it's moments of bouncing around and quite honestly, I can't tell any difference between before the ablation and after, however, I know I have to give it time.

Thanks again for all of your well wishes.

Kim

Your comment that "my back was killing me" after several hours in the Cath Lab caught my attention.

The solution I have recommended to several patients on VR.com facing cath procedures is to ask the technician(s) to:

Fold a Hand Towel Lengthwise (twice),
and pull in through under the small of the Back.

Then ask for a pillow to be placed under the Knees.

NO MORE BACK PAIN in the Cath Lab!

You may want to try that next time.

Beats Pain Pills!

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back