A word of encouragement...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks1490

Just got the results from my 3-months post-op stress test and echo - my left ventricle dimensions measurement has fallen from 7.0 cm down to 5.2 cm, well within normal range. No more cardio visits for 6 months. The surgery WORKS, people!

Feeling like Crap?

Feeling like Crap?

The majority of people here will agree post-op feeling like crap doesn't last forever. As is often the case with things, it does take some effort to get into "I feel better mode."

-Philip

I'm really looking forward to feeling better. I love reading posts by people that are further out and starting to live normally again. I just don't like being this consumed by aches, pains, fevers, lung gurgles, and paranoia of developing endocarditis or a-fib. Thanks to everyone that's had to go through this before me and help me have hope of feeling better.

The first 2 weeks can be pretty awful.

The next 4 weeks will typically have some fairly good days and some 'not so good' days.
As long as there are more of the former than the latter, you are headed in the right direction.
Look at your recovery on a Weekly Basis. If you feel better every week than the week before, that is a Good Sign.

Even on good days, you will probably find that when your energy is gone, IT's GONE.
Listen to your Body and REST when it tells you that is what you need.

It DOES get better, but for most of us, it takes way longer than many of us would like to reach the Full Surgical Benefit, especially those of us with 'more birthdays' behind us. :).

I helped my husband through many thoracic surgeries including multiple valve surgeries and 2 lung surgeries. I can tell you that this surgery is a little different from other surgeries. It takes about 6-8 weeks before you are feeling better, and then it takes about a year before you can say that you feel better than before. It is a long slow recovery.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, some who bounce right back in what seems like a week or so, and some who have lingering problems for a while.

Just keep doing what you can each day and try to push yourself gently towards the goal of feeling better. You can't push hard because you will find that your body will talk back to you and have you back to square one again.

I am 10 plus weeks out, and I still have the one step forward two steps back times. For the most part I like the week to week viewpoint. Thinking about it can make it worse. I went on a little vacation a week ago, and when I didn't think about everything I felt normal almost. The mind will screw with you if allowed.

Indeed it works! And it will only get better as time goes by! Just listen to your body & don't overdo things! Easy does it! :)

And Michelle & New Guy: Be patient...you WILL NOT feel that way forever, I promise! Take it from someone that has been through this multiple times.....it will get better! :)

This is so encouraging for our new folks to read. Like N Jean says - it does get better. I suppose one of the best pieces of advice I got from this forum was from John & Joann (longtime valve gal) to rest when you get tired. I kept trying to push, push, push.....and that just didn't work for me.

I'm 8 weeks out today, and feel awesome (felt like crap at the 3 week mark). It will get better. Good luck.

--Dan

I like the "look at recovery on a weekly basis" idea. I can see definite improvement that way. I also keep hearing about the one step back most here experience and that also helps me focus on the positive and not worry too much about the bumps in the road. It's going to take some time to get from here to there. Thank you so much.

Doug

Latest posts

Back