A True Miracle!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

Well, Steve and I had the scare of our lives last evening. We are babysitting our grandchildren, ages 23 months and 4 and a half. We took them to visit our friends' horse farm and they have two minis (horses). Our grandson, the oldest, ran up behind one the of minis (of course, after telling him not to approach the horse from behind, but boys will be boys, especially this young) and he was promptly kicked in the face by the horse. The amount of blood coming from one of his eyes was awful! He didn't lose consciousness and cried right away. We put him in the car and rushed to the hospital. After getting the bleeding stopped and many eye tests and checking for fractures, loose teeth, etc, Braden only had to have three stitches in the corner of one eye. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about what may have happened. We learned a valuable lesson. Children will be children and animals will be animals. Especially big animals like horses even when they are minis. Steve and I feel so bad that we should have been watching him more closely although we were within arm's reach. We do believe that God shielded Braden's face and his life from what could have easily been a much more horrible outcome. Braden is doing great! He was doing great even after we got to the hospital last night, chatting away and being his usual self. We are so thankful for this miracle! LINDA

Glad your grandson is ok Linda. Do not feel bad, because these things can happen in an instant, no matter how vigilant you are.

A few years ago, out at my in laws place, a friend's little girl (aged about 5 at the time) ran straight past her mother and me, into the yard where one of the horses was standing and right up behind him, grabbed his tail and yanked it.:eek: Luck must have been on her side that day, because that horse was pretty crabby and would normally have kicked out. Instead he just swished his tail, flattened his ears back, and walked off.
Kids are so quick, and you just can't anticipate their every move...

Ouch. You can't blame yourself for the incident. It's impossible, even with the greatest of attention, to keep an eye on kids all the time.

So glad he is fine ... boys will be boys ... I can't tell you how many trips to the ER and stitches I had before I was old enough to stop running off in the amazement of new discoveries .... you did nothing wrong ... can't protect kids every minute.....

When my girls were young, they rode horses, and I have seen more than my share of horse accidents. Horses can be easily spooked and they do not always react the way you would expect. One daughter was thrown and then stepped on, got a concussion from that one too. They other was kicked when approaching the horse from the front.

Both recovered nicely.

I am so glad the little one did not sustain any major traumas.

It is scary to witness something like that.

Thank goodness everything turned out well! I am not a big horse person myself but I do have friends that are. I was recently looking up the silicone strips that I am going to use to minimize my scarring. It is called NewGel. Anyhow, they show some case studies and one of them was from a horse bite. Down to the bone. Very scary. Beautiful animals that obviously must be approached and handled with care and with experienced people around. http://www.newmedical.com/PetersonCaseStudy.pdf

Geeezesh, how scary for you all! And poor baby but thank God it wasn't worse! So glad to know he's doing fine!

A friend of mine, who was raised on a farm, among lots of animals including horses, got her ear bit clean off by one of her horses. Animal will be animals & children will be children.

Take care & glad everything's okay! :)

Linda, your grandson is one lucky boy.
Any animal can have an instinctive reaction within a split second.....be it a horse, cow, dog, cat, rabbit, etc.
Even something simple like a dog running with a stick in it's mouth, can pass too close to a small child, and poke the child in the eye.
Accidents happen. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the weekend. :)

Glad to hear he is doing so well. I can't tell you how many injuies my brothers & I have had over the years.
I hope all is well with the rest of the family?

Latest posts

Back