A slight indent top right of chest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aetos

Hi, curious if anyone else is experiencing this as well. I'm approaching 4 months at month end.
I have the incision down middle and smaller incision on top right side of my chest.
Feels and looks like my upper middle right side is somewhat indented. When placing my hand there I feel a lump and at times larger then usual. Just under my collar bone-right upper side of chest.
Have a cardiologist app next month and will ask.
Is this common?
Thanks

-----------------------------------
Aneurysm of aortic root & ascending aorta. Bentall procedure, mechanical valve 27mm carbomedics. Replacement of aortic root + ascending aorta and aortic hemiac

My surgery was 7 months ago and I have the same extra upper right side, just under the collar bone, incision that you do. There's a part of the area that feels kind of hard, sometimes a little indented and sometimes a little bumpy. It feels strange when I cross my right arm across my chest, almost like there is something hard in there.

I asked my surgeon about it when I had an appointment with him two months ago and he said it was normal. He also said it might be a long time before the area starts to feel normal again.

I've kind of gotten used to it now but it is actually better than it was two months ago, just a slow process apparently.

6 years post-op...I still have a small bump at the top of my incision, can hardly see the rest and then have a 'divot/indentation at the very bottom. I blame it on opening the sternum and stretching the skin and then putting it back not exactly as it was before! It doesn't bother me, just replying to your question. Of course, always best to get it checked out by your surgeon if it is concerning you. :)

The upper right in incision just under your collar bone was most likely the site that they used to put you on the bipass machine. I have the same incision. Mine is very sore and if I cross my arm across my body it feels as if there is a golf ball in there. There are a lot of nerves that run through that area therefore it takes a long time to heal. That incision has caused me more pain and problems than my actual sternal incision.

I wasn't informed that they would be using this approach for my surgery and when I woke up I had numbness to my right hand. I still have some numbness to my fingers after 16 weeks. I was told due to the nerves in the area it will be a long healing process and the numbness may never go completely away.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely to ask my surgeon and cardiologist next appointment and will update.

Latest posts

Back