A bit worried

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. I called the Valve Clinic today. The secretary said she would show the echo report to my surgeon (the echo is done in the same hospital) and see if he thinks it is necessary for me to see him. Maybe they are getting stricter about who makes appointments at the Valve Clinic. When I saw him in February 2007, it was just to ask a couple of questions, and the secretary never said beforehand "if he thinks it is necessary", so we will see. She will call back some time in the new year.

I found out as soon as I was coming around from my mitral valve surgery, that the repair was not great, having moderate regurgitation, which is better than the severe I went in with. I guess initially in the OR it looked pretty good, but things changed once my heart was pumping on its own again. The estimate is that I will need surgery again in another 15-20 years. Which is likely longer than a tissue valve would last, and having your own valve is still better than a replacement, when that is possible. I am only 36 and do not want to do surgery again, but I will tackle that when I get there and enjoy what I have now. Just think about how far technology will have evolved by then!
I never depend on Echo techs, and always wait to hear the cardiologists interpretation of the readings. And as others have said, echos can vary and are not always easily interpreted. I am only a year out from my surgery, so I do not know how things will fair, but with a couple of echos, everything is the same since the surgery. Best wishes.

Thanks LisaD. I am definitely thinking about (and hoping for) the advanced technology that we will have in 15 to 20 years!

Adrienne - will be thinking of you. I know how scary all of this can be. Even though I most certainly do not want to go through surgery again someday, having been through it once, it is doable. :) Merry Christmas! Happy New Year.

Maybe in about 15 years the MitraClip (a transcatheter mitral valve repair) will be commonplace. If I actually end up needing another operation, and if I am a good candidate for the MitraClip at that time, I will certainly say yes since I will be OLD in 15 years, and a percutaneous procedure would be a walk in the park compared to OHS. I am certainly going to follow the developments of this method.

first repaired/ now replace

first repaired/ now replace

Two years ago in November I had mitral valve repair surgery. When I saw my surgeon after the surgery, he said that although it was a difficult repair, all had gone well. Three months later I gradually had mitral valve regurgitation. Now two years later, it is symptomatic. This time on 12/29, I will have the valve replaced. I am only 50, but we chose mechanical, even with the hassles of coumadin. I just really don't want to take the chance of another repair failing. My surgeon also seemed confident that eventually, a drug far superior to coumadin will be available. Good luck, Kevin

Latest posts

Back