A BIG Favour?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molto_Benny

I wondered if I could ask a favour?

I previously posted a thread regarding my recovery. Today I have had a very difficult day at work. Contrary to my previous thread, it would appear my manager is quite supportive of my situation and it is my employers who are not happy. I had a tricuspid valve replacement, VSD closure, right atrial plication and a cryo-ablation on August 14th (after having been off work since January). I returned to work on 24th September on half-days, I'm now on full-time hours -but I'm struggling with fatigue. This is significantly affecting my judgement and performance at work -and my employers are growing impatient with me. I've been with my current employer for just over two years and for most of that time I've been struggling due to my heart problem and waiting for treatment -but really, I'm on the home run now. I am now experiencing a LOT of criticism for failing to perform and my manager is now under fire for recruiting me in the first place. Today has left me very worried about my future with the company.

I wondered if you would be kind enough to share your experiences on this thread -with a view to a printout of this being something I could share with my employers next week (probably Monday). That is, how your valve disease affected you prior to your surgery, how long (after surgery) before you were back at work, how your return to work was (i.e., what issues did you have, and how were those dealt with), how long before you back to full time hours performing your normal job, how long before you felt normal and how you feel now?

It doesn't have to be a lot of detail, just a paragraph -you'd be doing me a huge favour and I can't tell you how much I would appreciate it!

Many Thanks.

Well from my experience, I was diagnosed with heart murmur in 1962, followed by GP for many years. Fast forward 2007 started fo feel fatigue, SOB, pain in left jaw area and sometimes chest discomfort. I had AV replacement in May 2008, after surgery was severely anemic, doctor did not wish to tranfusion me and I was discharged from hospital with advise to take daily iron supplement. Walked, slept, ate a little and generally rested. I returned to work part time office work about 8 weeks later. Still pretty pooped at the end of the day. My employer was very supportive and sometimes I worked from home for about 2 more months. Slowly regained my energy but truly didn't feel 100% until about 1 year later. Everyone heals at a different rate and everyone presents symptoms in a different manner. That is why we are human and not clones of each other. Best Wishes to you

My own most recent experience in OHS is to say that I found it difficult to focus on my work for about a couple of months. I had surgery in Nov 2011 and was discharged and home for December. By Feb I was back at work but having difficult in getting to terms with things despite being eager.

There is a lot to grapple with, and I believe that it is a mistake to attempt to "hit the ground running". I guess that a lot depends on how you are and what your situation is. Personally I was more enthusiastic to go back to work as (being a software designer/developer) my work is not physical.

Having said that it was till about April that I fully settled into things. However I had a few other distractions at that time, my Father was diagnosed with Cancer and I was engaged in taking him to medical appointments.

I began on a reduced roster (3 days) in February and that helped.

The feeling that my employer was supportive was equally important as the support I got at home.

I don't think showing your employer an internet thread where you refer to them as "not happy" and "impatient" and where you admit that your condition is significantly affecting your judgment at work is going to do you any good at all. I think it's fine to ask other posters about their experiences; it's just not going to help you to print it out and give it to your employer.

Benny I'm with VegasBAV on this. I think you'd be much better looking into employment law and seeing what your rights are as an employee - and what their obligations are as employers. If you have a physical job then three months is the mandatory sternum healing time.

After my first AVR I had two weeks off work - the first in the hospital, and the second at home. Then I was thoroughly bored so I went back to work as many hours as I felt like - about half time. I did that for a week and then was back full-time. But I have a desk job.

After my second AVR (emergency redo 11 months later) I was in hospital for a full month and then severely anemic for about another month - however at six weeks post-op I started a new full-time job and I didn't feel like I should be working full-time. I managed it - but another couple weeks half-time would have been the better choice.

Recovery is extremely variable but you'll recover faster if you're not stressed and not being forced to push yourself!! That's why I say look into your rights and their obligations, and if you can talk to them with a plan for what you're able to do (i.e. work half-time at half pay for the next two months??) then you may have a win! Good luck from down under!!

Bunny I agree with vegasbav and ski girl. However what might help is reading up on the equity act 2010 - your condition can be classed as a disability and thereby your employer has a duty of care by law. The Acas website has a bit on disability discrimination and is fairly easy reading.

Did they make any adjustments to assist you before op , have they suggested any adjustments now ( other than hrs) ? Also most companies have some kind of 'disability leave', they have to be very careful in their treatment of you especially since the equality act came into force (replacing disability discrimination act).

Good luck

My advise to anyone about to go out for surgery is do what I did yesterday.
I am a very key person in my department at work. I really enjoy my work.
It is never a good time for a key person to be out on medical leave.
However, I told my boss to expect me to be out for 13 weeks when I go out for my AVR and aortic repair.
He said, "that is what I am planning for" So, If I come back sooner the owners of my company will be thrilled instead
of wondering why I said 6 weeks and it turned into 13 weeks. That is my game plan.

Latest posts

Back