8th Day Post mAVR Op - NHS - London Chest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

I had my AVR on FRIDAY 3rd May 2013 at London Chest Hospital in London, UK. I had a bicuspid valve which was leaking severely but if not exerting I did not have much symptoms. I have never been active since my late Teenage years. I am 31 years old.

Like most people who visit this site and decide for a mechanical valve, I too wanted a On-X valve but things work slightly differently in UK NHS (National Health Service) as the treatment is free. My hospital did not use ON-X Valve but I convinced my surgeon to get a ON-X even though he still thinks all mechanical valve are equal and I should not worry about the the make of mechanical valve.
He ordered ON-X with graft attached but could not order the valve alone (probably the hospital policy and existing stock of SJM and Carbomedics). He expected my aorta to be replaced as I had bicuspid valve and tests showed a slight enlargement but when he opened me up, he decided to replace only the valve as aorta looked healthy with a root size of 3.1 cm.
I had requested for a SJM Regent if he is doing only valve on the day of surgery. I now have a 23mm SJM Regent ticking inside me.
Before I went in for my surgery I was well prepared both technically and emotionally, mainly because of this website. For me the surgery would end 15 Yrs of inactivity and I was keenly looking forward for it. I have a 7 month old daughter but I wasn't worried at all. At one point I had thought of writing letters to my wife and baby but was too lazy to do it. There was only 1% chance that it will come in to use so I ignored it.
In terms of recovery I was Impressed by TheGymGuy post and wanted to match it.

Day 1: 6:00 am shaved the chest and hands and had a shower in antiseptic soap.Went in at 8:00 am for surgery. Heard I was brought back around 12:00 pm to ICU. I don't remember what time I woke up but it was much before 2:45 PM when my wife and mom visited. I was very thirsty when I woke up and kept on asking for water. My nurse was a strict one and would only give very small quantities as they said I can get sick by gulping large amount of water and vomiting at that point will be disastrous. My nurse mentioned my surgery was quick and I was extubated within 2 hrs which she experienced for first time.
By around 5 pm I was having yogurt and Jelly by myself.That night passed uneventful. I found it difficult to sleep and asked for tea with extra sugar at around 3:00 am. Brushed my teeth at some time in night/early morning. Excellent care in ICU/ITU.

Day 2: Waiting for a bed to be transferred to High Dependency Unit (HDU). Nurses gave a body wipe that morning. Stood up and sat in a chair for 2-3 hours.
I had 2 lines for blood in hand. 5 lines for medicine in my neck, 2 drain pipes, 1 urine catheter and 2 pacing wires still in me.
Drain pipes and lines in hand were removed later that day. The drain pipes stung a bit due to stitches but was not at all bad. My nurse said I was a brave man :) as I remained calm. I found it difficult to talk continuously as my heart rate gets elevated.

Day 3: I was running a bit low on sodium/potassium and hence I was still on drips, so my shifting to general ward was delayed till the evening of Day 3.
The Urine catheter was removed. I was a bit scared of the catheter based on what I read here but it did not hurt at all was very smooth.
I was more mobile on day 3 as most of the attachments were gone. I still had trouble talking and walking as my heart rate would go up. I was bit depressed wondering if the the procedure was not as successful (bit immature I guess). But I was repeatedly told it is still normal as my lungs have not yet regained their full size and hence my intake of air will be smaller and heart would work more and it will settle down in few weeks time

Day 4: I felt like I was ready to go home but only thing that was stopping me was my INR level which still hasn't reached 2. The hospital does not discharge the patient until the INR range is achieved.I felt better talking longer on day 4. My heart rate was never more than 90

Day 5,6,7 were mostly waiting for INR to get into the range. As each day passed I looked more like a visitor in the ward than a patient. I started wearing my own t-shirts to look less like a patient.

My first 7 to 8 days have been uneventful and I hope it remains the same going forward. Even though I couldn't beat the TheGymGuy in hospital stay, I still think that my recovery was pretty good and positive.
I can't thank enough to the people on this forum for spreading positive messages and helping people face this surgery with confidence and without any fear.

Latest posts

Back