8 yrs and cycling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doberman

Hi all, 8 years post surgery this friday so I am signing on for the Ride for Karen here in Toronto, it is a metric century which means 100 km's. The ride raises funds for kids with cancer so it is a very good cause. The week after that I am riding another 100 km which includes 3200 feet of climbing. I had a goal prior to my surgery to ride in a mountain bike race, this year I rode a cyclo cross race, mountain bike race and a road race. I have a lot of training to do to improve and a lot to learn about racing but it is wild good fun. I am 52 and plan on improving my fitness for next season. 2 issues though, I get light headed from time to time and I do not have low blood pressure my doc labeled this condition as trivial but I am keeping an eye on things. My GP also told me that my "output" was low last year at 45% but increased to 55% this year does anyone know about this? the docs seemed unconcerned. I feel like they do not always tell me everything maybe so I won't fret about stuff. My GP tells me it is very important that I stay as active as possible. My cardiologist lists my heart health as excellent but cautions I may not always stay that way? Next time I see him I am going to ask a few more questions. He lengthened my yearly echo to 18 months so I guess he is not too concerned.
best wishes to all, I hope you do not mind the ramble too much.
J

Hi J... I don't know a thing about your condition, but I DO know at 4mos post op I get light-headed at times sometimes of activity (I'm 62 but former jock and strong). My Dr. ALSO seems to want to keep stuff from ME... I think it's a temperament thing- but I do best Knowing the worst. I'm just built as a realist. Perhaps you are the same (?) and your Dr. is like mine...not saying he is, but mine kinda likes "happy happy" and I'm not built that way.
If you're wondering,... It's coming from somewhere that you are questioning. Did you ever go thru Cardiac rehab or wear a Holter monitor? I'm starting that next week, I've had enough of this being afraid of my own body....
Good luck to you. Hope someone can give you more info than myself. Keep well, and don't forget to update! Glad you posted. Michelle

Hi J... I don't know a thing about your condition, but I DO know at 4mos post op I get light-headed at times sometimes of activity (I'm 62 but former jock and strong). My Dr. ALSO seems to want to keep stuff from ME... I think it's a temperament thing- but I do best Knowing the worst. I'm just built as a realist. Perhaps you are the same (?) and your Dr. is like mine...not saying he is, but mine kinda likes "happy happy" and I'm not built that way.
If you're wondering,... It's coming from somewhere that you are questioning. Did you ever go thru Cardiac rehab or wear a Holter monitor? I'm starting that next week, I've had enough of this being afraid of my own body....
Good luck to you. Hope someone can give you more info than myself. Keep well, and don't forget to update! Glad you posted. Michelle

Hi Michelle, actually I trust my cardiologist and give him the benefit of spending several decades in the medical field. I prefer not to know too much but I am at the point where I will need a few questions answered next time I see him. I hear what you are saying though, if I am wondering maybe there is something to it. I have worn a Holter monitor a few years back and all was OK.
thanks
8 years today!

Keep on cycling and doing the things you love!

(Just don't go do what I did several years ago.....'Christine the Bike from Hell' picked up to much speed going a steep hill at our favorite camping spot, and I crash landed breaking my elbow. I was lucky a broken elbow was all I got out of that spill! One heck of a ride!:eek2: )

Hi J,

By "output" I wonder if the Doc is referring to Ejection Fraction. My understanding is that's a tough thing to measure with much precision. Curiously, mine was lower at my last echo, almost 3 years out of surgery, than my previous 2. I asked my new cardio about it and he said not to worry. I don't like answwers like that and I may very well switch Cardios. I need someone to explain things to me worry or not worry. That to me is taaking the easy route to the next patient on his daily list. Like Michelle, I get light-headed a lot too. My BP is on the low side but not abnormally so (110/70ish). It comes and goes, but it's always associated with standing suddenly and not with exersion. I'm a 55 year old cyclist who is just getting back near pre-op fitness levels. I have been receiving similar advice to that which you've heard: keep working out. Make your body the best possible environment for your heart to function in and you should be able to optimize the help you've been given through surgery.

I always tell my doctors to tell me every damn detail & not to worry about my psyche, I'm in charge of that. If a doctor withheld potentially important information about my health I'd be tempted to give him an involuntary colonoscopy.

I had to laugh at Ray's suggestion. On the other hand I really don't ask too many questions just to be fair to the doc. but then he says something like 'well you may not always be good" and walks out the door whilst I am digesting that. What I do know is that I feel pretty good most days and it is due to my cardiologist and my surgeon so I will continue to rely on their fine judgement.
best and thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back