7 Weeks and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotti

I have a date!
Help... It seems a bit too real now..
Still haven't made up my mind what valve.
Seem to be very good at indesicion at the moment, but i'm not sure... ha ha (still have a sense of humour):D
They have given me 6th February, so at least I can visit all my relatives over christmas - long distances - And my surgeon will have just had a holiday only two weeks before so he will be rested and on his toes!!!
I have to admit I'm feeling rather terrified now that I know it's real. I wish someone could tell me ...don't know what though. Very mixed feelings. Want someone else to make my mind up for me, but then I don't. :(
Sorry about this, but feeling a bit low at the mo.

Put you on the calendar for February 6th, Lotti- first surgery listed for February 2006. Now you can browse the threads on valves and take this time to make a decision. Wishing you the best and you know we are all here for support!:)

Lotti,
I don't envy the position you're in, but there's a lot of info here. (My surgeon really didn't give me much choice - he basically said, considering your age (57) you'd be silly to go with anything other than mechanical - it should last your lifetime.) For those of us not familiar with your particular situation maybe you could give us the story - diagnosis, age, other health issues, etc. While the valve selection is yours people will be happy to chime in with things for you to consider based on your details.

In between thinking about your valve and all the other related activities I do hope you'll be able to enjoy the Christmas holidays.

Cris

Lotti-
I feel the same way that you do.I'm due to have surgery in 3 weeks but want to put it off.I have been waiting 18 months to have surgery and now that it's here,I'm ready to cancel it.:( You will have the same ups and downs as I have.

Thankyou

Thankyou

Well, here's the lowdown.... You did ask..

My name is Charlotte and I'm 37. I have a georgeous little boy, Jack who's 6, but about the height of a 9-10 year old.
I live in Staffordshire, England, but am from Hampshire and originally Holland, (came to England when I was six)

I have had a bicuspid aortic valve since birth, which has steadily got worse. I've always been tired, and had the odd feint, which as a normal growing lass I completely ignored. Well, no-one had told me it was anything to do with my heart. Even my previous cardiologist just said "don't miss breakfast" As if! I'm a gannet.
Then my cardiologit retired. What a blessing in disguise! On purely chatting to my new guy, he was horrified at how little I was able to do (one 25m length of a pool and I've had it) The tests started - Stress tests, 24 hour ecg, and finally an agiogram (just to check my arteries). He came to see me straight after the angio to tell me my arteries are beautiful! :)
But the rest was dreadful.... Severely calcified valve. Only 6mm area, moderate to severe regurgitation, and an ascending aortic anyuerism. :eek:
Straight referral to the surgeon, who gave me the delightful info that I was at high risk of dissection of the aorta. Great!
Stop all excercise, walk slowly, stop carrying shopping.
At least with good arteries I can still console myself with chocolate. ( and I DO).
Since then I've had an extra ecg and chest Xray to check the aorta as the chest pain was not plesant. All OK.
Goodness me! I can waffle can't I?
Well that's me in a coconut shell. I'm planning a fantastic Christmas and am seeing ALL my family in their far flung places. Maybe they can help me decide.
I have to say this site is wonderful and has opened my eyes to the stuff they DON'T tell you. Like think about the stress your family is under too. Do I want to risk doing this again if I go for a tissue - Can't swallow pills (don't ask - I know it's psycological) - Where does that leave me with warfarin if I go for mechanical. I know I'm really lucky to have a choice, but sometimes wish I didn't. Sorry if that sound unappreciative. It's not meant to.
Well I've gone on long enough.

Wishing you all a fantastic Christmas and a great New Year!:D

Hi Lotti..
I noticed that its your valve thats worn out, and you mention an aneurysm...is that an ascending aortic one?.what size are you sitting at?..you just said you were at high risk of dissection...and I am curious...I have the same but have been told mine isnt goint to dissect just yet.

Latest posts

Back