6 weeks!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmccarthy

I am now 6 weeks post-op and thought I would share my experience. I’m a long time lurker here!
Like me, I'm sure people heading into a valve replacement are reading every last thing they can find on the matter.

For me, I was most interested in things like pain levels, duration of stay in hospital, and experiences with such things as chest tubes.

I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve and mild aortic enlargement at 17 years old. Fast forward 20 years and I am now 6 weeks post-op. Prior to surgery my valve had an area of 0.8cm and my aorta was 48mm at its largest, narrowing before the aortic arch. I was asymptomatic.

I am from Newfoundland, Canada, and opted to have my surgery at the Ottawa Heart Institute, a quick 2.5 hour flight away. This is a world class facility and has some phenomenal surgeons. I can't recommend the OHI enough to any Canadians here facing surgery.

Leading up to surgery I got quite emotional and quite nervous. I was worried about everything from being put under to not making it through. The last couple of days leading up had their share of hard moments.

A Tuesday was surgery day for me, and on the Sunday prior I went I the hospital for some general pre surgery things - blood work, health questions etc. I was sent away to return the next morning for a CT angio. I never had a cath done. All was clear on the angio.

Monday I met with the anesthesiologist and my surgeon. That night I was given a disinfectant soap to shower with, and an imovane to help me sleep.

Tuesday morning I was as one of the first cases, and again I showered with the disinfectant soap and was then given something to help me relax. In my case it was 3mg of Ativan and a dose of dilaudid. Within no time I was feeling grand.

As previously mentioned I was very nervous about being put to sleep. Upon arriving in the OR I told the anesthesiologist this, and through a conversation I had with him post op, I learned he gave me half the dose of the anesthetic right away. The last thing I remember in the OR was being asked to move over to the operating table from the gurney. I remember telling them I could do it, but don't remember making it.

I spent 99 minutes on the pump, and in that time I had my ascending aorta replaced, my valve replaced, and the calcification that extended down into the chamber of my heart and onto my mitral valve cleaned up. They started on me about 8:30am, and my surgeon was out talking to my family a little after noon. I'm told my surgeon is amongst the fastest at the OHI. I was given a CE Perimount Magna Ease tissue valve. At 37 I was not ready for a daily medication regime and did not want a mechanical valve. If I had to make the choice all over again it would be tissue all the way, and I can only hope that I will have an option aside from mechanical/warfarin when my valve needs replacing again.

I awoke as many have posted, with a breathing tube in. I also had a tube in my nose. Both were removed fairly quickly and I remember very little more about them than that. The pain over the next 24 hours was controlled with a steady drip of dilaudid and a bollis every few hours as needed. The next day the most pain and discomfort I felt was from my chest tubes. Luckily they were removed the morning following surgery and iw as give healthy dose of Fentanyl for their removal. Having them removed was more of a burning sensation than anything else, but between the dilaudid and fentanyl I didn't care at all. In addition to the breathing, nose and 2 chest tubes I had 2 pacing wires and standard catheter. I was having pacing issues after just opening me up I was told.

Due to pacing issues post op I spent 8 days in the ICU before I got a pacemaker put in. Go figure that after it was inserted I started to pace on my own! The day after the pacemaker insertion I was discharged.

The pacing wires and catheter weren't too bad being removed. The catheter burned a bit, and the pacing wires I only felt as they came through the surface of my skin.

I was sent home with dilaudid and tramacet for pain. The dilaudid was primarily because of the pacemaker, which was a somewhat painful little thing for some time. I had about 7 days worth of tramacet and just used Tylenol after that as needed. I was also prescribed imovane to help me sleep at home.

For sleep, I could lay on my right side propped up with a bunch of pillows. Looked awful but it wasn't painful. In the past 2 weeks I've been able to do short periods on my left side and stomach but still favor that right side.

Other than all that I walk and breath as many have mentioned, and feel as good if not better than ever.

-dave

Great, thanks for the story. I am headed in this Friday for AVR and ascending aorta graft. Was the need for the pacemaker a surprise or was that something you had issues with prior to surgery?

Ryan

It's great you are feeling so good!! Those pacing wires are pretty weird huh, the nurse was removing mine and only the first set came out the second set that went behind my heart didn't come thru, she said she could do damage pulling them too hard so she just sipped them off. Every day you will feel stronger. Don't forget parts of your body that wasn't getting enough blood before is finally getting it now. Best of luck: thumbup:!!!!

The pacemaker was a surprise, and I'd not had any pacing issues prior. My surgeon and cardiologist both said it is common when the aortic valve is being operated on. The nerves run close and swelling can cause poor conductivity i believe. I was pretty drugged up but I seem to recall them saying pacing issues affect about 20% of avr patients.

At first I had a very poor to no rhythm but it settled down and ultimately the issue I ended up with was called AV block. This is where the signal to beat is making it to the heart but not the bottom/ventricle.

What was most shocking to me was when hooked up to the external pacemaker and they disconnected me to see what my underlying rhythm was and I saw the flatline on the monitor! Not to worry though it lasted all it a second or 2. Odd sensation.

A Canadian Newfie........Welcome to the forum my fellow Canuck

Thanks for sharing your experience and it's fantastic to read that you're doing well.
Keep up the walking.

Cheers
(I love NFL, was in St Johns last year - I live in Prairies and really enjoyed your Ice Berg Beer)

I hear you about the pacemaker being a surprise. I got mine just a few days after valve surgery, but I was "treated" to the experience of seeing my cardiac monitor go flat-line for much longer periods of time. Mine would just stop for up to 20 seconds at a time, many times, all day. Finally they suggested a permanent pacemaker. I just asked "What are we waiting for?" I've now had mine for just over 3 years, and the only limitations I've noted are that my current settings do not support mountain biking or heavy weight lifting very well. I will have to discuss with my pacer clinic when I next see them.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing very well, and I imagine that your pace of recovery will only increase as time goes on.

Thanks for that detailed report. One of the best things about this forum is reading "what it's really like", even though everyone's experience is slightly different. A lot of us are basically healthy people with little hospital experience, and these narratives are very helpful.

Best wishes for continued steady recovery!

So is a permanent pacemaker really common with aortic valve surgeries? My valve has mild leakage and qualifies for repair. I'd also need a graft as I have an ascending aneurysm. During my consult with the surgeon he never mentioned that possibility. He said I can wait asmy aneurysm is 47 cm.

A pacemaker isn't uncommon when the aortic valve is involved though I had never discussed this possibility with either my cardiologist or surgeon. It was just a post surgery hurdle for me. I don't believe there's any real way for them to know if you'll need one or not prior to surgery, just luck of the draw. Don't get too hung up on pacemakers. If you need one you need one. Much like surgery there's only one alternative to not getting one.

In my case my surgeon felt I would eventually not need it at all, but could take a few months for that to happen after some healing.

I hear you in that it's better than the alternative although a few months then getting rid of it sounds better than permanent. I guess like the medications you can get used to it. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Back