6 weeks post op and I started cardic rehab 2 today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

For the past week and a half or so I've been walking 40 minutes twice a day. I'm guessing I walked about 3 miles a day or more.

Today, I started cardic rehab 2. It consisted of 3 ten minute sessions on various cardio machines. During the session you are placed on a heart rate monitor that is monitored by a nurse at her desk. Before the session began a nurse took my bp. During each 10 minutes session a nurse took my bp and once again my bp was taken at the end of the session. I'll go 3 days a week for 12 weeks, each of my 3 sessions increase by 1 minute each day until you work up to I believe 20 minute sessions.

I was surprised what I was able to do and liked the idea of being monitored while I was working out. It was a good experience and I look forward to tomorrows rehab session.

Hello John,
How much of this could you have done before you surgery? and if you could how different do you feel?

I did not really think I was sick when I went in for AVR, man was I wrong! I am 14 months or so out and I am doing things I wouldn't have even considered 5 years ago.
Right now I am preparing to run in my third 5K, this time by myself. It will be a new level of confidence. Until a couple of months ago I hadn't run in a good 20 years.

Keep working in moderation, it only gets better.

Rob

Rob,

How much of this could you have done before you surgery? and if you could how different do you feel?

Well, you ask a couple of interesting questions. I have been working out at a local gym for the past 6 years or so. Those first two years I worked out with weights and used the cardio machines. Two years into those workouts I had my first stent implant and found out about my BAVD. After these two events my cardiologist encouaged me to continue the cardio workouts but to lay off some on the weights. I decided to quit working out with the weights and concentrate on the cardio. So for the past four years I've done my cardio on a stairmaster, treadmill, and elliptical machine. Four years ago my workout sessions lasted a good hour, two weeks before surgery I was down to 35 minutes and my level of intensity had also been reduced a little compared to 4 years ago.

I thought I was in pretty good shape before surgery. What I did today I could have easily done before surgery. Today's session was a confidence builder for me. I'm looking forward to see how far I progress during these next 12 weeks. Thanks for the advice on working in moderation. You don't know how bad I want to return to my previous level of activity.

Good luck with the up coming 5K.

Don't push to fast but you'll be back to full hour workouts in short time. For now follw your suggested workouts.

There are some folks here that are doing some pretty remarkable things with their rebuilt hearts. Check out some of the stuff Sumo Runner does, he sets a great example.

Good luck with your continued recovery.

Rob

Latest posts

Back